HDTV Monitor 101
The latest HDTV monitors connect with your computer, but since they include a digital TV antenna and support for digital devices, you can also connect them directly to your set-top box, Blu-ray player, or game console. Samsung’s HDTV monitors offer integrated digital TV tuners, integrated speakers, additional video/audio inputs, and remote control. There's no longer any reason to choose between a multifunction computer monitor and a high-end HDTV. New displays give you both at the same time.
Watch TV and Play Games in HD
Most of us spend hours in front of monitors every day. That means we need LCD HDTV monitors designed to deliver an exquisite computer interface, with superbly sharp text and graphics. But that's just for starters. When you're ready to take a break from work, the best new monitors—with built-in HD 1920 x 1080p digital HDTV tuners—let you watch TV and HDTV, play high-definition games, and enjoy Blu-ray movies.
An HDTV monitor is perfect as a stand-alone TV in a guest room, kitchen, or children’s room. It’s also ideal for small rooms such as a home office or a dorm room. The latest models, available soon, even offer “picture-in-picture,” meaning you can watch the game in one corner of the screen while working (or updating your fantasy football team) online.
What to Look For:
- Full high-definition resolution for sharp, crystal-clear images with vivid colour, while 1080p ensures that no matter what you’re doing, you’ll be doing it at the highest resolution possible.
- What’s the visible difference with 1080p? With a 720p frame, for instance, there are about one million pixels. A 1080p frame has two million, doubling the amount of detail. Simply put, 1080p is the best visual experience you can get.
- Look for monitors that deliver dynamic contrast ratios of 50,000:1 or greater, so you’ll enjoy sharp image quality that’s sure to catch your eye. It’s the contrast between light and dark colours on the screen that makes images come to life. The greater the difference between light and dark images, the more vibrant the images appear. And with a 5ms or faster response time, you'll get flawless motion without the blur.
- The best new displays come with Dolby Digital Plus, SRS TruSurround HD, and integrated stereo speakers to bring every sound to life. And if you’ve got a 5.1 channel multi-speaker home theatre system, you can take advantage of many monitors’ built-in 5.1 optical SPDIF connection to deliver the ultimate in audio performance.
- Look for a generous set of connection options, including an HDMI port, that makes your monitor a multimedia centrepiece and lets you connect digital devices such as MP3 players or video cameras in a flash. You should also get a coaxial connection for cable, and an audio port—plus a jack for digital audio output.
Get a Monitor that is Always in Style — On or Off
Go ahead. Upgrade your office décor. Some monitor-TV combos look just as good turned off as they do fully powered. For instance, Samsung's latest monitor cabinets feature a stunning "Touch of Colour" rose-black gradation with a glass-like finish, and a crystal-clear acrylic stand that adds style and sophistication.
So don’t settle for second-rate. Get the full PC-plus-TV experience in a single dynamic package.