Soups to comfort you against the cold
By Pierre-Yves Chupin, Advisor of the Samsung Club des Chefs, 15.05.2015.
Soup is comfort food for winter. Here are two simple and delicious favourites; Carrot, and Cream of Mushroom. Both require very few ingredients and can be prepared quickly.
- - Peel and dice 4 or 5 large carrots
- - Plunge them into a pan of boiling salted water
- - Cook for 30 minutes
- - Drain the carrots and set the cooking liquid aside
- - Add 250 ml cream to the carrots, and as much of the cooking liquid as necessary to obtain the desired texture (thicker or thinner according to your taste)
Before serving, season with
- - Salt and pepper
- - One teaspoon of powdered cumin (no more)
- - If desired, add a little orange zest (extra vitamins)
Chef's Secret: For special occasions, I give this soup a seafood flavour by adding mussels that have been steamed in a large pot with a little white wine: refined and delicious!
Cream of Mushroom Soup (can be refrigerated)
- - Peel and slice 2 shallots
- - Melt 20 to 30 g butter in a saucepan
- - Add the shallots and sauté quickly
- - Add 300 g mushrooms, rinsed and quartered (if you don't have fresh mushrooms steep dehydrated mushrooms in warm water, for 2 to 3 hours, then use them)
- - Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour over the mushrooms
- - Now add 700 ml water and a bouillon cube
- - Let simmer slowly for about 30 minutes
- - Stir in 250 ml cream and season with salt and pepper
Chef's Secret: I add a tablespoon of Port wine when sautéing the mushrooms and shallots in the butter.