Maintaining Water and Dust Resistance
What is an IP rating and what does it mean for your Samsung device:
An IP (Ingress Protection) rating is an international standard that shows you the level of ingress protection of your device. The Samsung GALAXY S5, Gear Fit, Gear 2and Gear 2 Neo have all been certified to an IP67 Rating which means that these devices are resistant against water ingress to a maximum of 1 metre of water for up to 30 minutes, as well as resistant against dust ingress.
How to properly care for and use your Samsung device:
The device may be damaged if water or dust enters the device. Follow these tips carefully to prevent damage to the device and to maintain the water and dust-resistant performance of the device.
- Do not immerse the device in water deeper than 1 m and keep it submerged for more than 30 minutes.
- Do not expose the device to water moving with force, such as water running from a tap, ocean waves, or waterfalls.
- Do not open the device's covers when the device is in water or in very humid places, such as swimming pools or bathrooms.
- Do not open the back cover using wet hands or when the device is wet.
- The rubber seal fitted to the back cover is an important component of the device. Take care when opening and closing the back cover to avoid damaging the rubber seal. Also, ensure that the rubber seal is free from debris, such as sand or dust to prevent damage to the device
- If the device is exposed to freshwater, dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If the device is exposed to any liquid other than freshwater, rinse the device with fresh water immediately and dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. Failure to rinse the device in fresh water and dry it as instructed may cause the device to suffer from operability or cosmetic issues.
- The back and multipurpose jack covers may be loosened if the device is dropped or receives an impact. Ensure that all the covers are properly aligned and tightly closed.
- If the device has been immersed in water or the microphone or the speaker is wet, sound may not be heard clearly during a call. Ensure that the microphone or the speaker is clean and dry by wiping it with a dry cloth.
- The water resistant design of the device causes it to vibrate slightly in certain conditions. Vibrations in these conditions, such as when the volume level is high are normal and do not affect the device’s performance.
- The touch screen and other features may not work properly if the device is used in water or in other liquids.
- Samsung Genuine accessories namely, S View Cover and Flip Wallet (when correctly placed on the device) will retain the Samsung GALAXY S5’s IP67 Rating.
If you have purchased a GALAXY S5, Gear Fit, Gear 2and Gear 2 Neo, your device has been tested in a controlled environment and certified to be water and dust resistant in specific situations (meets requirements of classification IP67 as described by the international standard IEC 60529 - Degrees of Protection provided by Enclosures [IP Code]; test conditions: 15 – 35 °C, 86 - 106 kPa, 1 metre, 30 minutes). Despite this classification, your device is not impervious to water damage in any situation. Please follow the instructions outlined above to maintain the water and dust resistant performance of your device.