Discover more of the TV you love with Samsung’s 2013 Smart TV rangeon Apr 17, 2013
Samsung transforms the TV Experience through software and hardware innovation
SYDNEY, Australia – 17 April, 2013 – Samsung Electronics Australia today announced a new smart TV experience that simplifies how consumers search for and discover their preferred content, while seeking to raise the bar in picture quality. Its highly anticipated line of 2013 TVs will begin shipping from April including the LED 8000-series and the Plasma 8500-series.
“Our 2013 Samsung Smart TV range spans affordable large-screen sets all the way to mind-blowing, high-design luxury TVs,” Philip Newton, Vice President – Consumer Electronics, Samsung Electronics Australia. “This year we are going to go even further with a reinvigorated design philosophy which touches every element of our new range, expanding our existing premium international and local entertainment content partnerships and enhancing the user experience with innovative, intuitive and interactive technology to help Australian consumers get the best possible home entertainment experience.”
In 2012, Samsung Australia saw three important trends. The first being that the Samsung Smart TV category grew sustainably last year. Secondly, customers are demanding larger screen sizes. Lastly, the TV has become an integral part of the living room. These three important trends are determining how Samsung is approaching the TV market in 2013 and beyond.
The 2013 line up of TVs represent Samsung’s latest generation of smart TVs. While features vary by model, highlights of select products include:
- A redesigned Samsung Smart Hub* that offers five dynamic menu titles to help consumers manage and navigate different types of content
- With S-Recommendation^, consumers can easily find the content they want – thanks to personalised recommendations based on their viewing habits over time
- Outstanding picture quality across the 2013 lines. Samsung’s UHD TV and LED TVs offer brighter, more vibrant colour than previous Samsung models, and its flagship Plasma TV delivers deeper blacks and brighter whites than previously seen on Samsung plasma models
- Smart Evolution Kit^^ (sold separately) gives owners of flagship 2012 Samsung TVs the opportunity to update their models with some of the latest features from 2013 without having to buy a new set
- A quad-core CPU enables quick app launching, web browsing and multi-tasking
- Smart View lets consumers move content seamlessly from the TV to connected devices, so consumers never miss a moment of their favourite shows#
- Advanced Smart Interaction** allows consumers to use everyday language and casual gestures to control the TV
Samsung's Brightest LED Line with the Highest Contrasts Available in the Samsung 2013 range
The F8000 series, Samsung’s 2013 flagship LED Smart TV, boasts a stunning design that complements any room in the home. Given how quickly the big-screen market is growing, Samsung made the decision to expand the available sizes in the F8000 range to include 55, 60, 65 and 75 inches, varying in price points.
With an ultra-thin profile, a bezel under 6mm, and the wave inspired arc stand that gives you the feeling that the TV simply floats in the air. The TV is not only stunning from the front; it looks just as striking from the back as well thanks to the innovative 360 degree design. It offers the most vibrant and richest colours with the highest contrasts and the brightest picture quality of any Samsung LED TV to-date. Samsung’s proprietary Micro Dimming Ultimate technology provides great contrasts, deep black levels and exceptional brightness – along with the full suite of Samsung Smart features.
This is also among the first of Samsung TVs to offer support for the new high-compression video codec, called HEVC, a codec that allows double the compression rate of previous codecs resulting in much higher video quality, while streaming over lower bandwidth, so your content will consistently look stunning.
Consumers will enjoy the speed at which they can browse the web or download and access apps, thanks to the TV’s quad-core processor, Samsung’s first smart TV with this feature. The additional processing power allows more improvements in imaging quality. This allows users to switch between online services, apps and on-air TV much faster than the 2012 Samsung models.
Setting a New Standard for Samsung TVs
Samsung’s F8500 Plasma TV, 2013 flagship plasma model, is the new Samsung standard for TV excellence offering deeper blacks and brighter picture quality than previously seen on Samsung plasma TVs. The F8500 delivers the same brightness and eight times the black levels as previous Samsung LED TVs, thanks to Samsung’s proprietary Deep Black Algorithm and Real Black Pro II. The F8500 is also one of the first televisions with native support for HEVC-encoded content. The F8500 is distinctive as it is stunning utilising a dark titan metal colour and futuristic design, it sets itself apart in the Samsung range. Samsung’s One Body Form design, the F8500 is created from a single piece of metal while highlighted with a dark titan metal colour for a futuristic design. The F8000 will be available this year in a 60” and 65” models.
Samsung Transforms TV Watching
The smart TV market is on the rise thanks mainly to richer content and connectivity. In 2013 Samsung will take content to a whole new level by focusing on three key types of content – Movies, TV shows and Sports.
For Movies and TV shows, Samsung TVs includes content from around the world from the major studios as well as Foxtel, Quickflix, as well as catch-up TV for SBS, ABC, Yahoo7! and Channel 10*. Yahoo!7 is one of the offerings that is exclusive to Samsung with access to local Channel 7 production content.
With the combination of Fox sports, Livesports.com and ESPN3 Samsung will cover a plethora of global and local Australian sports. Additionally Foxtel content will also evolve in 2013 to add PVR functionality that allows users to pause, rewind and fast forward. Samsung will also offer Foxtel Go compatibility, meaning if you are a subscribed member of Samsung’s Foxtel offering you will be able to view your programming on the run using compatible Samsung smartphones or tablets. Select Samsung Smart BluRay models this year will also feature Foxtel.
Samsung Smart Hub 2013
This year, Samsung’s redesigned Smart Hub* makes it easy for consumers to discover the content they love. It eliminates the need to navigate through myriad sources and options, and provides a simple way to manage content from one central location.
Available on select 2013 TVs, Blu-ray players and Home Theatre Systems, the new Smart Hub draws inspiration from how consumers interact with mobile devices by offering intuitive controls and a one-of-a-kind user experience. The easy-to-navigate interface organises content on five dynamic titles, including smart TV programme guides, video-on-demand, apps, social and personal content.
These panels include:
- On TV – shows the channel that is currently playing as well as the most relevant, personalised suggestions that may be on-air now or airing shortly, based on consumer viewing habits. At launch this will cover free-to-air networks in Australia and from later in the year this will include the Foxtel channels available through the Foxtel application on Samsung Smart TVs.
- Movies & TV Shows – launching towards the middle of the year there is an easy way to access movie and TV series that are available from VOD multiple global and local content providers.
- Photos, Videos & Music – allows users to organise personal content and files including photos, videos, music, recorded TV on Samsung Smart TVs and other connected devices such as USB storage (sold separately) or web hosting services such as SugarSync and DropBox##.
- Social – highlights user created content from friends and family, popular videos from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and video call services like Skype® (TV camera, sold separately)##
- Smart TV Apps – organises downloaded Samsung Apps and recommendations for easy access. Additionally, helps you discover new content just launched and relevant for Australian consumers
In 2012, Samsung launched the TVs with voice and gesture controls. This year, Samsung is giving consumers a more instinctive and intuitive way to navigate and control the Samsung Smart TVs.
Samsung’s advanced Smart Interaction** utilises powerful algorithms to ensure even more accurate facial recognition, voice and motion controls. With enhanced Voice Interaction, consumers can use everyday language to command the TV. Viewers can also ask their TV to search for content currently available by actor, title or genre and it will provide recommendations.
Motion Control** now recognises more natural movements, with two-handed gestures and better viewing environment flexibility. Viewers can pinch to zoom, or use a swipe motion to easily navigate between Smart Hub panels.
S- Recommendation with Natural Language
Samsung has also created a recommendation engine for Samsung TVs to help consumers navigate the overwhelming amount of content available. In Australia, Samsung has worked closely with the leading linguistics team at Macquarie University to create a voice interaction feature that is designed to understand and respond to commands in the distinctive Australian vocabulary.
Samsung’s S-Recommendation^ gives consumers a unique way of discovering content based on their personal preferences. It analyses consumers’ past viewing habits over time to “learn” their preferences so that it can recommend similar content. The recommendations are provided from a variety of sources, including broadcast television as well as streaming services.
Samsung’s 7.1 Channel Home Theatre System (HT-F9750W)
The flagship 7.1 Channel Home Theatre System (HT-F9750W) is the perfect companion to the 2013 Samsung Smart TVs. The HT-F9750W has a 1,330-watt sound system that delivers exceptional sound quality and viewing experience comparable to that of a movie theatre.
Powering this outstanding sound quality is a vacuum tube pre-amplifier and Gallium Nitride power amplifier. The Gallium Nitride Amp is a hybrid Analog/digital power amp that provides a very similar sound quality to that of very high end analog power amps. They work together to create a pure, natural sound with minimal distortion. Adding multi-dimensional swivel speakers and Ceramic speaker material gives you the finest home entertainment experience.
There’s also a Blu-ray component that lets you run multiple apps simultaneously, so you can access Samsung’s latest Smart Hub* and AllShare features.
Pricing and Availability
- Samsung Series 8 Smart LED TV 75” (F8000) – RRP $9,999, available in July
- Samsung Series 8 Smart LED TV 65” (UAF8000) – RRP $5,999 available in June
- Samsung Series 8 Smart LED TV 60” (UAF8000) – RRP $4,999 available in June
- Samsung Series 8 Smart LED TV 55” (UAF8000) – RRP $4,199 available in April
- Samsung Series 7 Smart LED TV 60” (UA607100) – RRP $3,999 available in June
- Samsung Series 7 Smart LED TV 55” (UA55F7100) – RRP $3,299 available in May
- Samsung Series 7 LED TV 46” (UA467100) – RRP $2,399 available in May
- Samsung Series 6 LED TV 75” (UA75F6400) – RRP $6,999 available in June
- Samsung Series 6 LED TV 65” (UA65F6400) – RRP $3,999 available in June
- Samsung Series 6 LED 60” (UA60F6400) – RRP $2,999 available in May
- Samsung Series 6 LED 55” (UA55F6400) – RRP $2,349 available in April
- Samsung Series 8 Plasma 64” (PS64F8500) – RRP $4,299 available in April
- Samsung Series 8 Plasma 60” (PS60F8500) – RRP $3,399 available in April
- The Samsung HT-F9750W will be available from retail stores in May for an RRP of $1,499
* Certain features not available without express consent regarding the collection and use of personal information. Some features may require additional peripheral devices which are sold separately. Certain advertised features, applications and services may not be available on all models and regions and are subject to change without notice. Internet connection required. Data and subscription charges may apply. Certain features require RF signal and only work on Free to Air channels.
** Performance may vary depending on language spoken and surrounding environment, including, local dialect, pronunciation, voice and ambient noise and lighting. Internet connection required. Data and subscription charges may apply. Motion Control and Face Recognition requires in built camera or accessory TV camera, sold separately. Certain features require RF signal and only work on Free to Air channels.
^ S Recommendation is not available without expressed consent regarding the collection and use of personal information. S Recommendation requires internet access. Data and subscription charges may apply. Performance may vary depending on the service provider. Service requires RF signal and only works on Free to Air channels.
^^ Smart Evolution Kit sold separately. Performance may vary depending on year of TV launch, model specifications, application availability and hardware limitations.
# Smart View application available from Google Play. Internet connection required to download application. Smart View app does not allow two different free to air programmes to be viewed at once. Compatible mobile device and Samsung Smart TV must be on same home Wi-Fi network or using WiFi Direct.
## Internet connection required. Data and subscription charges may apply. Usage may be subject to service provider agreement.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 236,000 people across 79 countries with annual sales of US$187.8 billion. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
Edelman for Samsung Australia
T: +61 (0) 2 9291 3313
M : +61 433 634 706