MISSISSAUGA, ON, August 20th, 2015 - Samsung Electronics Canada, one of the leading suppliers of mobile phones in the Canadian marketplace, announced today a pair of newly redesigned flagship devices – the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ and the Samsung Galaxy Note5. Samsung’s most powerful phones to date, each is designed to offer the ultimate immersive, multimedia entertainment experience.
To celebrate the launch, Samsung has partnered with the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), which will spotlight the Galaxy S6 edge+ and the Galaxy Note5 along with a variety of Samsung technology, throughout the entire Festival footprint, driving unique experiences and programming that put Canadian film fans at the centre of it all.
“The Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note5 are designed to help us enhance the experience of the biggest moments in our lives,” said Paul Brannen, Executive Vice President Mobile Solutions, Samsung Electronics Canada. “Both devices are multimedia powerhouses designed to deliver a brilliant display and an ultimate immersive entertainment experience.”
As an official partner of the Toronto International Film Festival, the new Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note5 will provide Canadians with the ideal lens to catch all of the festival’s big moments and get closer to the action. Thanks to built-in live streaming technology, fans can share their experiences straight to their YouTube page. With advanced camera capabilities found on the new phones, capturing events is now easy. And you won’t miss a moment thanks to fast wired and wireless charging abilities.
In the heart of the festival will be the Samsung Studio (David Pecaut Square) an interactive display of Samsung’s best innovation where movie fans will be able to stay up to date with all the latest Festival news on Samsung’s SUHD TVs. Additionally, film lovers will be able to create a personal Festival story video, weaving together the biggest moments of the festival with their own images and videos captured on the Galaxy S6 edge+ or Galaxy Note5 to share with their family, friends, and their social channels. The TIFF Bell Lightbox will also showcase the new Samsung SUHD TV to create a remarkable visual, bringing to life the festival’s biggest moments to the this iconic central location.
“Samsung and TIFF share a passion for helping Canadians create and get closer to amazing film content,” said Mark Childs, Chief Marketing Officer, Samsung Canada. “By partnering with TIFF, we are enabling movie fans to experience the Festival in their own unique way, bringing them closer to their passion through innovative technology and interactive, customizable experiences.”
Additionally in the spirit of innovation and creativity synonymous with TIFF, Samsung is teaming up with five up-and-coming Canadian filmmakers who will each be given a larger than life TIFF experience as part of the Samsung TIFF Emerging Directors Showcase. Hosted in Toronto and provided with Galaxy S6 edge+ device to create a short film, these emerging directors will also receive personal mentoring from four-time Oscar nominated director Jason Reitman and Oscar-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody. Throughout the festival, the emerging directors will become Samsung Canada’s on-site ambassadors to bring fans closer than ever to the biggest festival moments through unparalleled access, behind-the-scenes content and live-streaming key TIFF moments direct from their phone.
“We’re thrilled to have Samsung on board as a partner for this year’s Festival. As technology has evolved rapidly over the years, the film industry has been at the forefront of innovation. Samsung’s commitment to help Canadians create and share content in new ways, across a variety of platforms, makes them a valued partner for us,” said Cameron Bailey, Artistic Director of the Toronto International Film Festival.
Together, the Toronto International Film Festival and Samsung are set to bring together the next generation of Canadian filmmakers and today’s technology and innovation.
About the Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note5
Samsung’s two biggest and most powerful phones yet were designed for the big moments in life:
- Big experiences in real time: Thanks to advanced built-in live streaming, the Galaxy S6 edge+ and Note5 allow users to broadcast their big experiences directly to their YouTube page, bringing family, friends and followers closer to the red carpet.
- The Big Galaxy features you have come to love, including:
- - Fast Charge built-in technology, allowing users to fully charge in approximately 90 minutes, and thanks to the wireless charger, the device can be completely charged in approximately 120 minutes*.
- - 64-bit processor combined with 4 GB of RAM, providing the fastest speed, the most power and the best performance of any Samsung smartphone yet
- - Advanced camera technology, enabling users to capture quick moments by double tapping the Home button, which launches in only 0.6 seconds and thanks to the Auto real-time HDR technology, you can take the ideal picture, whatever the light conditions.
- - Improved Side Sync: A seamless experience between your Samsung mobile device and PC or Tablet, the improved Side Sync auto connects after initial sync and enables 2-way file sharing through intuitive drag and drop transfer.
- Big phone. Big sound: Enjoy six months of Google Play™ Music** when you purchase a Galaxy S6 edge+ or Galaxy Note5 and subscribe prior to December 31, 2015.
The Galaxy S6 edge+ is designed and powered to entertain:
- Dual edge design: With a brilliant screen and a seamless dual edge, the Galaxy S6 edge+ is designed to deliver a bigger entertainment experience. The edge screen acts as a shortcut to top contacts and apps from any screen, keeping what matters most right at your fingertips.
- Entertainment matters: Your favourite entertainment has never sounded better on a Samsung smartphone. The breakthrough audio technology takes a low-quality digital music file and brings it to life with vibrant sound and detail. (Available on both devices).
The reimagined Galaxy Note5 puts the power of creativity in the palm of your hand:
- The S Pen gets two thumbs up for productivity: The advanced S Pen helps jot down a quick note (even when the screen is off), or edit and markup a PDF file as easily as a paper document. With the always available Air Command menu, S Pen features are easier to find and use from any screen or app.
- Expert multitasking: Open and work from two apps, side by side. Easily switch between a seminar on YouTube while surfing stock quotes. You can resize windows to maximize screen space. The Galaxy Note5 provides excellent speed and performance with fast load times and more RAM.
- Productivity for the proactive: Thanks to built-in Microsoft Office apps for Android devices, you can now edit and email documents, including spreadsheets and presentations, right from your smartphone.
Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note5 Availability
The Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note5 will be available from major retailers and at Samsung Experience Stores starting August 21st in Sapphire Black. For more information check out: http://www.samsung.com/ca/galaxy/s6edge-plus/ and http://www.samsung.com/ca/galaxy/note5/
Please contact your carriers for more details.
*Based on laboratory testing. Battery power consumption depends on factors such as network configuration, carrier network, signal strength, operating temperature, features selected, vibrate mode, backlight settings, browser use, frequency of calls, and voice, data and other application-usage patterns. Adaptive fast charging requires an AFC compatible charger to work. Wireless charging pad sold separately,
**Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc. 6-month trial only open to Canadian residents who purchase and activate a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ or Galaxy Note5 prior to December 31, 2015. 3-month trial only open to Canadian residents who are a Samsung handheld or tablet user (of a device other than a Galaxy S6 or S6 edge or S6 edge+ or Note5) prior to December 31, 2015. Offer only available to customers who are not current Google Play Music subscribers, have not been Google Play Music subscribers nor participated in a Google Play Music trial in the past 12 months. Offer must be redeemed by January 31, 2016. Valid form of payment required at sign-up but will not be charged until the trial expires. Then you will be automatically charged the standard subscription price, currently $9.99 per month. You can cancel your trial at no charge at any time before the trial is over to avoid incurring any charges. Offer requires a Google account. Google may cancel or amend the trial offer at any time without prior notice. Full terms here: http://pages.samsung.com/ca/promotions/English/
Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note5 Product Specification
|Galaxy S6 edge+||Galaxy Note5|
|OS||Android 5.1 (Lollipop)|
|Network||LTE Cat.9/ LTE Cat.6 * May differ by markets and mobile operators|
|Dimension||154.4 x 75.8 x 6.9 mm, 153 g||153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6 mm, 171 g|
|AP||Octa core (2.1 GHz Quad + 1.5 GHz Quad), 64 bit, 14 nm process|
|Memory||4 GB RAM (LPDDR4) , 32 / 64 GB (UFS 2.0) ,|
|Display||5.7” Quad HD Super AMOLED
2560 x 1440 (518 ppi)
Dual edge screen
|5.7” Quad HD Super AMOLED
2560 x 1440 (518 ppi)
|Camera||Rear: 16 MP OIS (F1.9) , Front: 5 MP (F1.9)|
|Battery||3000 mAh, Fast Charging both on wired and wireless
Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
|Connectivity||WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, MIMO (2 x 2),
Bluetooth® v 4.2 LE, ANT+, USB 2.0, NFC,
|Sensors||Accelerometer, Proximity, RGB Light, Geo-magnetic, Gyro,
Fingerprint, Barometer, Hall, HRM
|Audio||MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR,
AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA
|Video||MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM|
*All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.
About Samsung Electronics Canada
Samsung Electronics Canada inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies, redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, cameras, digital appliances and printers. Samsung is a leader in the Internet of Things space through, among others, our Smart Home initiatives. In 2014, Samsung was ranked one of the top 10 most influential brands in Canada, based on a study by Ipsos Reid. Committed to making a difference in communities across Canada, its Samsung Hope for Children corporate giving program supports children’s education, sustainability and health-related issues. Globally, Samsung employs 319000 people across 84 countries with annual sales of $196 billion.