Notebook PCs, also known as notebooks (or laptops), are primarily designed for mobile computing. With portability as the primary design goal, today's notebook PCs pack in almost as much power (at times, even more) as that of high-end desktop computers. The latest notebook PCs provide convenient connectivity features, such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. High-end notebooks, in particular, provide enhanced audio-visual experiences for the user, such as a high-definition display and superior audio. They are optimized for applications, such as 3D modeling, high-definition video editing, and gaming.
Samsung provides designers and integrators of the latest notebook systems with the highest quality components, such as primary and graphic memory, hard disk drives (HDDs), flash-based storage solutions, and drivers for LCD and LED displays. A majority of OEMs across the world rely on Samsung for creating high quality, reliable notebook systems with the lowest costs and shortest time-to-market.
The following block diagram illustrates the architecture of a typical notebook PC.
As shown in Block Diagram, a typical notebook PC consists of the following components:
- The processor (or CPU)
- The Input/Output Controller Hub (ICH), also known as Southbridge
- Memory, such as main memory and graphic memory
- Storage media, such as flash-based SSDs and flash cards
- Audio devices
- A display subsection, consisting of the display driver IC that controls the LCD or LED display
- User input devices, such as keyboards and mice
The leading-edge technologies offered by Samsung's broad range of devices and components are deployed in most high-end notebook PCs manufactured around the world today. Majority of notebook PC OEMs across the globe trust Samsung for quality, reliability, and dependability.
Samsung is the leading memory provider for most notebook PC OEMs. Samsung's DRAM memory, in particular, is the most widely used type in today's notebook computers.
Samsung's worldwide leadership in the memory space means that notebook computers are assured the highest quality memory available on the market. Samsung computing DRAM has several key advantages, some of which are listed below:
- Low power consumption levels: Samsung DDR2 and DDR3 memory operates at very low voltages, significantly reducing power consumption for the notebook computer, and extends the battery life and usable duration for the system.
- Higher speeds and bandwidths: Samsung's latest DDR memory provides data rates as high as 1,866 Mbps, enabling notebook PCs to provide desktop-level performance and enhanced user-experiences for applications, such as watching high-definition video content.
- Small form-factors and physical sizes: The latest fabrication technologies (such as the 20-nm fabrication process) used for DDR3 memory chips reduce both the count for the total number of chips going into the notebook and the board space occupied by the chips within the notebook, resulting in a much smaller form-factor for the complete notebook system - a prominent advantage for portable computing.
CMOS Image Sensor
As notebook displays increase in resolution and density, videoconferencing cameras enable sharper, more vibrant visuals. Using Samsung CMOS image sensor (CIS) solutions enables designers to create a crisp, clear videoconferencing experience that brings consumers closer to friends and family.
Clean, bright video
Samsung's proprietary Back Side Illumination (BSI) technology enables increased pixel sensitivity to produce bright, low-noise video even in dimly lit environments.
Samsung offers sensors in both high definition (HD) and full high definition (FHD) to match the displays of the latest notebooks and create sharp, life-like images.
Samsung image sensors enable smooth-motion video to connect people in a natural experience.
To enable the thinnest possible notebooks and ultrabooks, Samsung CIS solutions use small pixels that leverage advanced processes and architectures to maintain sensitivity. Samsung's sensors for videoconferencing enable low z-height camera module design
Meet exacting design requirements quickly and cost-effectively
Samsung CIS solutions help you bring innovative ultrabook and notebook designs to market quickly and at low component cost, enabling you to take stay competitive in the rapidly evolving mobile computing space.
Samsung Graphics DRAM for Notebooks
A typical ultrabook or notebook PC today is also an entertainment hub, and eye-popping graphics are a big part of the package. DRAM is one of the most important components for assuring quality graphics. Samsung offers multiple DRAM solutions to enable rich multimedia experiences for notebook users.
Work with a leader in high-speed graphics memory
A world leader and innovator of next-generation memory technologies, Samsung has been at the forefront of advanced memory designs such as graphics DDR3 (gDDR3) and GDDR5. Today, Samsung's GDDR5 is capable of data rates up to 7Gb/s per pin, which can translate into 28GB/s for a complete memory chip. This high bandwidth is becoming a necessity for applications that commonly run on today's notebook PCs, such as 3D gaming.
Gain key advantages for notebook graphics
Samsung graphics DRAM offers far-reaching advantages for notebook PCs when it comes to power consumption, performance and physical size. Key benefits include:
- Exceptional graphics performance enabling peak bandwidths of 28GB/s to deliver lifelike graphics
- Energy-saving power modes with a VDD as low as 1.35 V, helping to reduce power consumption and extend notebook battery life
- Heightened design flexibility for system designers due to programmable organization of x32- and x16-bit-wide data buses
- Enhanced design flexibility for OEM notebook manufacturers due to the use of industry-standard FBGA packaging
Benefit from a comprehensive range of Samsung components
Samsung provides designers and integrators with a broad variety of quality components for the latest notebook PCs, including primary memory, graphics memory, flash memory-based storage, and drivers for LCD and LED displays. The following block diagram illustrates the architecture of a typical notebook PC.
Accelerate the pace of innovation
Leading OEMs across the world rely on Samsung for creating stunning graphics capabilities in notebook PC systems. Samsung offers an extensive portfolio of devices and components to fulfill exacting system design requirements for the best suitable performance and the shortest possible time to market.
Next-generation data storage technologies, such as flash memory based Solid State Drives (SSDs), are rapidly replacing traditional hard disk drives (HDDs) in computing systems. SSDs differ from traditional magnetic storage media, such as HDDs, because they use flash memory-based semiconductors to store data, and have no moving parts. Recent advances have enabled the development of SSDs that offer high-capacity data storage, and act as direct replacements for HDDs.
Data access times are much lower, since SSDs startup instantly with no significant delays for users, unlike HDDs that need "spin-up" time to turn on the motor and align the read/write heads. Furthermore, reliability for the stored data is much higher with SSDs due to the absence of any motors and read/write heads. With SSDs, "disk crashes" are absent; hence, data integrity is not compromised.
SSDs are one of the main components that contribute to extending the usable durations for battery-powered notebook PCs, since they consume significantly less power than HDDs, both in active and idle modes. Most of the newer generation notebooks are now shipped with SSDs as a standard component.
Samsung's wide array of SSD solutions with different technologies help OEMs and manufacturers of notebook PCs provide the right data storage solutions to their customers. Samsung SSDs are available for deployment on notebook PCs of all levels - from entry-level systems, to high-end gaming machines.
Around the world, Samsung SSDs are being adopted by a majority of notebook computer manufacturers, due to their following advantages:
- Unmatched reliability for the stored data due to the absence of any moving parts
- Equal (and gradually increasing) storage capacities offered (as compared to conventional HDDs)
- Low power consumption levels, both in active and standby modes - an important factor for notebook computers
- Fast read and write operations compared to HDDs
- Availability of multiple interfaces to connect to various types of host devices
- Greater durability due to very high shock and vibration tolerances, resulting in increased reliability for the stored data
Samsung Flash Cards for Notebooks
Samsung is a leading memory provider for notebook OEMs, including flash-based storage solutions. In addition to embedded memory, mobile computers commonly provide interfaces for connecting flash cards for additional, removable storage media. Samsung flash cards play a key role in notebook designs, including:
- Backup : Flash cards can be used to back up critical data.
- Data transfer : Flash cards can be used as portable media to transfer information between systems.
- Software installation : Flash cards can be used as portable media with which to install software on a notebook-and unlike CDs or DVDs, the cards can be erased and reused.
Samsung flash cards are available in numerous types, capacities and form factors to meet your specific design needs.
Click on the diagram for solution details
Samsung offers designers and integrators of notebook systems top-quality components-not only flash storage, but also primary and graphics memory, solidstate drives, and drivers for LCD and LED screens. The following block diagram shows the architecture of a typical notebook. Blue-shaded blocks represent components offered by Samsung. Click on a block and information about that component will appear below the diagram.
Display Driver IC
In any notebook PC, the LCD display is controlled by a dedicated display driver IC (DDI) while receiving the display data from the graphic DRAM (see Figure 1 above). As displays are primary output devices for any computer system, it is vital that the performance and quality of the display subsystem remain above a certain minimum threshold at all times for good user experience.
Samsung has been at the forefront of providing the latest and most advanced DDI solutions to its customers, for applications such as displays for mobile phones, computer monitors, notebook PCs, and digital TVs. In particular, Samsung provides DDI solutions for displays of varying resolutions, from basic VGA (640 x 480) to WUXGA (1920 x 1200), and beyond.
Samsung DDI solutions are the de-facto standard for display system designers and system integrators across multiple industry segments, such as computing and mobile telephony. Some of the key benefits of using Samsung DDI solutions in notebook PCs are listed below:
- Separate and dedicated DDI reduced display-related processing load for the system's main processor (CPU) enhancing the overall performance for the notebook PC.
- A DDI module ensures availability of advanced display controls, such as enhanced contrast correction for the displayed content.
- The DDI module can be programmed to turn the display off after a certain period of user inactivity, extending the battery life in portable computers.
Total Table Sorting
Field values will be aligned
In either ascending or
- High Definition Multimedia Interface. CEC ensures HDMI components can be controlled by one remote
- High Definition Multimedia Interface. CEC ensures HDMI components can be controlled by one remote
|M471B5773CHS||Mass Production||2GB||256Mx64||1.5, 1.35||F7, F8, H9, K0||(256Mx8)x8|
|M471B5273CH0||Mass Production||4GB||512Mx64||1.5, 1.35||F7, F8, H9, K0||(256Mx8)x16|
|M471B5773DH0||Mass Production||2GB||256Mx64||1.5, 1.35||F8, H9, K0||(256Mx8)x8|
|M471B5273DH0||Mass Production||4GB||512Mx64||1.5, 1.35||F8, H9, K0||(256Mx8)x16|
|M471B1G73BH0||Mass Production||8GB||1Gx64||1.5, 1.35||F8, H9, K0, MA||(512Mx8)x16|
- ordering info : see below for part no. speed suffix
|part no. suffix||speed||CL-tRCD-tRP|
- C : Commercial, Normal (0°C ~ 85°C)
- L : Commercial, Low (0°C ~ 85°C)
- MXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXX (Xth code represents a package)
Z : FBGA (lead-free)
H : FBGA (lead-free & halogen-free)
J : FBGA (lead-free, DDP)
M : FBGA (lead-free & halogen-free, DDP)