2000-Present Pioneering the Digital Age
With the start of the second millennium, SAMSUNG begins its second century.
The digital age has brought revolutionary opportunities and changes to global business. The SAMSUNG Group has responded to these changes and is currently upgrading its business structure, management perspective, and corporate culture to meet global standards.
At SAMSUNG, we see every challenge as an opportunity, and believe that we are perfectly positioned as one of the world's recognized leaders in the industry of digital technology.
Our commitment of being "World's Best" has won us the number one global market share for thirteen of our products. Our target is to have thirty of our products rated "number one in world products" by 2005, adding digital TVs, IMT 2000, and printers to our current list of world market leaders: semiconductors, TFT-LCDs, monitors and CDMA mobile phones.
Always a step ahead, we're making historic advances in research and development of our overall semiconductor line, including flash memory and non-memory, custom semiconductors, DRAM and SRAM. One example is SAMSUNG Electronics, which remains one of the world's "top 10" in US patents for four consecutive years, with 13,000 researchers representing a US$ 1.7 billion investment in Research and Development.
Financially, SAMSUNG is committed to being the World's Best, with the SAMSUNG Card, a payment solution selected as the "Best Card Company in the New Millennium" by Master Card. The SAMSUNG Card secured more than 1 million members within one year through the release of "Aha Loan Pass," the first loan-only card in Korea. Euromoney has also selected SAMSUNG Securities as the "Best Security Company" for the 3rd consecutive year, and SAMSUNG Life Insurance was ranked as "10th Largest Company" by Fortune's "Global 500" in the Life/Health insurance category.
We are also actively promoting our brand value, a key engine of business growth. SAMSUNG's brand value was increased to US$8.31 billion in 2002 from US$6.37 billion in 2001 and was recognized by Interbrand Corporation as a fastest growing global brand.
We succeeded in achieving the global competitiveness through continually improving our financial structure and profitability, as we examine the structure of our own organization. Reducing production costs and working hard to maintain our brand image have greatly contributed to our progress, and SAMSUNG Electronics has secured a nation's credit rating from S&P and Moody's, while SAMSUNG Fire also has been recognized by S&P for its stability and growth potential, receiving its second consecutive A rating.
The quick pace of our development is reflected in our management philosophy "We will devote our human resources and technology to create superior products and services, thereby contributing to a better global society."
Our active participation in sporting events has helped promote community spirit, as well as return corporate profits to society. As a Worldwide Olympic partner in the wireless equipment sector for the 2000 Sydney Olympics, SAMSUNG provided 25,000 advanced digital wireless telecommunication devices including mobile phones. We have also served in that capacity at the 1999 Nagano Winter Olympics, and will be a Worldwide Olympic Partner in the 2006 Torino Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympics. SAMSUNG is an active contributor to the Asian Games, SAMSUNG Nations Cup Riding Competition, SAMSUNG Running Festival, SAMSUNG World Championship (a U.S. LPGA Tour), and many other sporting events around the world.
In 2000, SAMSUNG started its management program with a new twist and aimed to stay ahead of the great waves of digital changes now engulfing the world. We expect nothing less than to lead the digitalization of society with our advanced technologies, competitive products, and professional human resources.
2000-Present Pioneering the Digital Age
- Displayed the world’s thinnest TV (6.5mm) at CES
- Launched major restructuring of its businesses
- Cooperates in creating a foundry with Xilinx of the US
- Developed the world’s first 40 nanometer DRAM
- Announced its “Blue Earth” solar-powered phone
- Released its V-line Crystal Rose LCD TV
- Samsung is found No. 1 in customer loyalty for 8 years consecutively by Brand Keys of the USA
- Samsung Digital Imaging developed an innovative hybrid digital camera
- Built the world’s largest mobile phone as recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records
- Received a “Quality Management Award” in Malaysia
- SADI, Samsung's design school, received the most iF Concept Design Awards for its entrants
- Opened “samsungmobile.com” for its domestic customers
- Received an Excellence Award from ENERGY STAR of the US
- Released the world’s thinnest Blu-ray player
- Introduced Mobile WiMax into Malaysia
- Released the world’s first full HD camcorder with a 64GB SSD
- Sold more than 20 million full touch phones in shortest time ever
- Samsung took up a record high market share in LCD monitors
- Released the world’s first solar -powered mobile phone in India
- Released the “JET,” its new concept full touch screen phone
- Released its 120Hz 3D monitor
- Samsung took the No. 1 spot in the global digital sign market for the first time
- Sold 500,000 units of its LED TVs in 100 days since its release
- Opened the “visual mobile” era with its third generation full touch Haptic AMOLED
- Released the world’s first infrared video phone
- Became the first in the industry to acquire TCO 3.0 certification for its notebook computers
- Announced its “Green Management” strategy
- Began mass production of the world’s first 40 nanometer DDR3 DRAM
- Released the world’s thinnest watch phone
- Developed the world’s lowest power 1GHz mobile CPU core
- Opened Samsung Application Store Seller Site
- Attained its most awards ever at IDEA 2009
- Released its strategic smart phone, the OmniaⅡ
- Samsung's Yuna Haptic sold 500,000 units in record time
- Became the first in the industry to sell more than 10 million LCD TVs in the first half of the year
- Samsung won the chairmanship of the 3GPP international standardization association
- Sold more than 5 million of its STAR full touch phones in 4 months
- Samsung’s Application Store officially opened
- Released the “Corby” full touch phone targeted at younger users
- Provided the WorldSkills Calgary 2009 Competition support
- Installed the world’s largest video wall in the US
- Released the first large capacity 16kg automatic washing machine in the domestic market
- Samsung's “Mondi” WiMax terminal receives “Best Product” at the 4G Awards
- Entered the top 10 list in the world’s top 100 global brands
- Samsung was selected as one of the top 10 global businesses in responding to climate change
- Samsung TVs took 50% of the Iranian market
- Introduced its R&D master system
- Released the “Giorgio Armani” smart phone
- Sold more than 5 million LCD panels for notebooks per month for the first in the industry
- Developed a 240Hz 3D LCD panel
- Received the 2009 LCD TV Market Leadership Award
- Deploys its brand memory card business
- Reached the world’s first LTE terminal supply agreement
- Developed the world’s thinnest 3mm LED TV panel
- Samsung successfully tested WiMax global roaming
- Samsung’s LED TV won “TV of the Year” in Britain
- Declared its “Creative Company” strategy for the next 100 years
- Passed 4 trillion won in operating profits for its 40th year of foundation
- Introduced a “Creative New Employee” hiring system
- Developed the world’s first 0.6mm 8 chip package
- Sold 10 million STAR phones in six months of its release
- Announced its open mobile platform, “bada”
- Became the first in the industry to sell more than 4 million LCD panels for TVs per month
- Supported the hosting of the WCG final
- Launched a VIP membership program
- Sold 50 million full touch screen phones in 2 years
- Samsung's printing solutions won product of the year in the US
- Announced “bada” its own smart phone platform
- Samsung successfully commercialized its 4th generation LTE terminal
- Restructured its organization and appointed Gee-Sung Choi as its new CEO
- Sales of Samsung “Yuna Haptic” phones broke the threshold of 1 million
- Became No. 1 in the US digital TV market for the 4th consecutive year
- Named Yoon-Woo Lee as a Vice Chairman & CEO of Samsung Electronics
- Launched OMNIA phone
- Completed establishing TV manufactory in Russia Kaluga州
- Became the official sponsor of 2010 Guangzhou Asian Game
- Developed the world's first 2Gb 50 NANO
- Samsung takes No. 1 spot in U.S. cellphone market
- Opened Global Brand PR Center ‘Samsung D'light'
- No.1 worldwide market share position for TVs achieved for the 9th quarter in a row
- No.1 worldwide market share position for TVs achieved for the seventh quarter in a row
- Developed the world's first 30nm-class 64Gb NAND Flash™ memory
- BlackJack bestowed the Best Smart Phone award at CTIA in the U.S.
- Attained No.1 worldwide market share position for LCD for the sixth year in a row
- Developed the world's first real double-sided LCD
- Developed the worlds' first 50nm 1G DRAM
- Unveiled 10M pixel camera phone
- Launched "Stealth Vacuum," a vacuum cleaner with the world's lowest level of noises
- Launched the worlds' first Blu-Ray Disc Player
- Developed 1.72"Super-Reflective LCD Screen
- SAMSUNG hosts Asian Strategy Conference.
- SAMSUNG Electronics' BlueBlack Phone recognized as top premium product in Europe.
- SAMSUNG Electronics launches new brand campaign entitled "Imagine".
- SAMSUNG receives the most US IDEA design awards.
- SAMSUNG Electronics provides assistance in recovery work for Iranian earthquake.
- President Gun Hee Lee selected as World's 100 people by the US Time Magazine.
- With the beginning of SAMSUNG Management Principles, SAMSUNG accelerates its efforts in boosting transparency in management.
- Announcement of 2005 Samsung Principles for Transparency Management.
- SAMSUNG selected by Fortune as '39th Global Allstar' for most admired company.
- SAMSUNG Electronics’ BlueBlack Phone (D500) receives 'Best Mobile Handset' from ' 3GSM World Congress 2005'
- SAMSUNG donates 5 million dollars to the East-Asian tsunami relief efforts.
- SAMSUNG Group reaches 50 billion USD in export revenue, 21% of entire export revenue in Korea
- SAMSUNG Group’s total sales reaches 135.5 trillion and accomplishes best profit ever
SAMSUNG Semiconductor celebrates 30th anniversary
- SAMSUNG Construction receives an order to build Burj Dubai, the world’s highest building(over 700m)
- Kun Hee Lee selected by FT (Financial Times) as 21st most admired CEO
- Kun Hee Lee receives Design Leadership Award
- SAMSUNG Heavy Industry receives three 'Best Ship of the Year'
- Opens SAMSUNG art gallery Leeum
- SAMSUNG Electronics opens SAMSUNG Experience Center in New York City
- SAMSUNG earns Olympic 8 medals including 4 gold medals
- Opens Greece Olympic SAMSUNG advertisement booth (OR@S)
- SAMSUNG brand value ranked 21st in the world with an estimated value of $12.5 billion USD (Selected by Interbrand)
- SAMSUNG mobile phone achieves 1st place in market possession in France, Russia and Africa
- Kun Hee Lee receives honorable 'La Legion d'honneur Commandeur' from France
- Starts SAMSUNG Group 'Share the business'
- Hotel Shilla selected as 2003 Korea's best hotel
- Launches SAMSUNG 2004 Olympic marketing
- Digital TV technology of SAMSUNG Electronics achieves #1 in the world
- SAMSUNG Electronics produces the world's first land-based DMB receiver
- SAMSUNG brand value ranked 25th in the world with an estimated value of $10.8 billion USD (Selected by Interbrand)
- Establishes Kun Hee Lee Scholarship Foundation
- SAMSUNG Finance selected by 'Finance Asia' as Korea's best security company
- SAMSUNG Social Volunteer Group supports "SAMSUNG Dream Tree project" in Vietnam
- SAMSUNG strategically targets China to build brand awareness through premium products
- SAMSUNG receives 2 billion dollar Export Award
- SAMSUNG Economic Research Institute opens Multimedia Service, SERICEO, for top executives.
- SAMSUNG SDI develops The world's largest 15.1" full color Active Matrix Organic Electro Luminescence Display
- SAMSUNG SDI commercializes high definition 65,000 color STN-LCD
- SAMSUNG Electronics signs strategic alliance agreement with Microsoft to create digital home technologies
- SAMSUNG develops enhanced cooperation with Hewlett-Packard in IT field
- SAMSUNG Card's US$500 million ABS issued overseas
- Cheil Industries' Fashion Division ranked number one in Korean Customer Satisfaction
- Index by the Korea Management Association for 2nd consecutive year
- SAMSUNG Electronics commercializes 1G Flash memory
- SAMSUNG Electronics develops The world's largest 40 inch TFT-LCD
- SAMSUNG Electronics develops 16M DDR SRAM
- SAMSUNG Electronics begins mass production of 128M / 256M DDR333
- SAMSUNG Electronics commercializes Home-network products
- SAMSUNG Electronics begins mass production of 256 mega RAMBUS DRAM
- SAMSUNG Electronics produces The world's first 40 inch TFT-LCD display
- SAMSUNG Fire & Marine Insurance establishes SAMSUNG Traffic Safety Culture Research Center
- SAMSUNG Corning successfully develops The world's first ultra-fine polishing technology for cathode-ray tube glass for use in digital Televisions
- SAMSUNG Electronics signs strategic marketing alliance with AOL-Time Warner
- SAMSUNG Electronics begins mass production of 512Mb Flash memory
- SAMSUNG's global brand value increases 22% (ranked 42nd worldwide, US$6.37 billion)
- SAMSUNG Advanced Institute of Technology successfully develops The world's first video object extraction technology
- S1 Corporation begins Smart Card business
- SAMSUNG Fire & Marine Insurance signs agreement with The People's Insurance Company of China (PICC)
- SAMSUNG Corning selected best contributor to the Korean economy among all foreign companies in Korea
- SAMSUNG Everland reaches 100 million accumulated visitors
- SAMSUNG Card begins integrated financial transaction management service
- SAMSUNG Life Public Welfare Foundation opens Noble County
- SAMSUNG Economic Research Institute (SERI)'s website selected the No. 1 think-tank site in the world by Alexa
- SAMSUNG Electronics awarded the Asia Award 2001 sponsored by Investor Relations
- SAMSUNG Heavy Industries acquires international certificate
- SAMSUNG Fire & Marine Insurance opens the first Shanghai branch in China among domestic insurance companies Shanghai branch in China
- SAMSUNG Electronics selected "2001 Best Asian Company" by Finance Asia
- SAMSUNG selected "The Most Reliable Korean Leading Company" by P&P research
- CEO Kun-Hee Lee selected among "Asia's 25 movers and shakers of 2001" by ZDNet Asia
- SAMSUNG Heavy Industries builds first Korean-made large passenger ship
- SAMSUNG Capital issues foreign currency bond (ABCP) of US$200 million, the first among domestic financial institutions
- SAMSUNG Electronics signs agreement for "2002 Busan Asian Games Sponsorship"
- SAMSUNG Electronics acquires 4G DRAM technology
- SAMSUNG Electronics given the first ever award to a Korean company by ISS (Institutional Shareholder Service)
- SAMSUNG Life Insurance ranked 6th among Far Eastern Economic Review's "Top Ten Korean companies"
- SAMSUNG Electronics ranked the world's first in TFT-LCD production for third consecutive year
- SAMSUNG Electronics registers cellular phone production volume of 50 million handsets
- SAMSUNG produces 50,000,000th cell phone
- Five ships built by SAMSUNG Heavy Industries designated "Ship of the year"
- SAMSUNG Everland awarded Customer Satisfaction prize for fifth consecutive year
- SAMSUNG Card designated "Best Card Corporation in the New Millenium" by MasterCard
- SAMSUNG Advanced Institute of Technology develops perpendicular magnetic recording technology, the world's highest recording density (60Gbits/in) technology
- SAMSUNG Heavy Industries develops world's biggest large-sized jumbo container ship (9000TEU class)
- SAMSUNG Corporation Otel Inox designated best enterprise in Rumania
- SAMSUNG Electronics donates 600 million won to UNESCO for education funds
- SAMSUNG Electronics wins award from Russia National Brand Contest's organizing committee
- SAMSUNG Fire & Marine Insurance rated A (Excellent) for financial strength by A.M.Best, a credit evaluation agency specializing in U.S. insurance companies
- SAMSUNG Electro-Mechanics subsidiary in Taiwan awarded Best Enterprise prize by Taiwan government
- SAMSUNG Electronics signs contract for opening of Sidney Olympic public information center and next Olympic Games sponsorship
- SAMSUNG Corning subsidiary in Germany designated best foreign investment company and celebrates six years since its founding
- SAMSUNG SDS establishes global software Development Center in Beijing
- SAMSUNG SDS ranked 44th in "Best 500 software companies" in 1991 by Software (U.S.)
- SAMSUNG Electronics acquires U.S. patent for Next-generation Management Control System technology
- SAMSUNG SDI develops The world's 1st super slim, perfect flat cathode-ray tube
- SAMSUNG Techwin develops digital camera with 2.1 million pixel CCD
- SAMSUNG Electronics begins manufacturing 256M Flash memory
- SAMSUNG Electronics participates in establishing world's biggest e-commerce company, with 11 other companies including Hewlett-Packard, NEC and COMPAQ
- Asiaweek magazine selects CEO Kun-Hee Lee among the 50 most influential people in the political & financial world for fifth consecutive year
- SAMSUNG Corning localizes Wide ITO Coating Glass, core material of PDP TV
- SAMSUNG Electronics starts Content Certification Business
- SAMSUNG Fire & Marine Insurance creates business alliance with Kamakura Corporation, U.S.A, for financial risk management
- SAMSUNG begins collaboration with Chosun Computer Center of North Korea
- SAMSUNG establishes Secui.com, a global information security corporation
- SAMSUNG brand value reaches US$5 billion
- Cheil Industries Inc.'s ASTRA designated one of world's best 5 golf brands
- SAMSUNG Heavy Industries signs contract for joint marketing of Shipping Nautical System with Raytheon Marine U.S.A.
- SAMSUNG Electronics attracts US$100 million investment from Apple Computer Inc. U.S.A.
- SAMSUNG Electronics launches joint corporation with Thomson CSF France
- SAMSUNG Heavy Industries introduces The world's first commercialized new industrial waste-water treatment technology
- SAMSUNG Life Insurance signs comprehensive business alliance with 10 Korean banks
- SAMSUNG Corporation receives US$550 million order to build Taiwan High-speed Railway
- SAMSUNG Electronics develops first 288M RAMBUS DRAM