Most of today’s ultraportable laptops get the job done just fine. You don’t have to look far to find a model that delivers adequate performance and portability. But a truly exceptional laptop—one that you’ll look forward to using every day—requires innovation from the ground up. The Samsung Series 9 was engineered and crafted not just to meet your everyday computing needs but to provide an experience you’ll treasure for years.
Streamlined From the Start
The first thing you’ll notice about the Series 9 is its look. The streamlined yet rock-solid appearance isn’t just a veneer. It’s a reflection of how the machine was conceived and crafted.
Asked how he sculpted his famous David, Michelangelo is said to have replied, “I simply removed everything that was not David.” The Series 9’s designers took a similar approach, removing every inessential detail from previous designs and leaving only an unadorned yet uncompromising machine.
Thanks to this design philosophy, artifice doesn’t overwhelm the natural beauty of the Series 9’s raw materials. Instead, natural and human-made elements harmonise perfectly, giving you a different experience each time you touch the Series 9. You won’t just be proud to own it for years—you’ll look forward to using it.
Design and Engineering Innovations
Any machine is only as strong as its weakest link. That’s why every element of the Series 9 laptop was engineered and crafted in keeping with its overall design philosophy and rigorous standards.
- • Single-shell body. The Series 9 was built with CNC engineering, an ultraprecise method allowing the chassis to be carved from a single piece of aluminum. It feels solid because it is solid. Conventionally built laptops, which are pieced together from a mix of plastic and metal parts and molding, can’t achieve this light-yet-sturdy quality.
- • Ultra-slim, tailor-made components. The strongest, most elegantly designed shell is useless if it houses substandard parts. The extraordinarily thin and light Series 9 would have been impossible with run-of-the-mill components. Instead, each part was customised to fit perfectly into the thin, single-shell body. Everything from the LCD screen to the fan was designed to achieve the highest possible performance-to-size ratio.
- • Compact chassis, maximum screen size. Get an extra inch of screen without increasing the notebook’s size, thanks to the Series 9’s MaxScreen—a 15-inch screen that fits comfortably into a standard 14-inch notebook chassis. You’ll see more of what you’re doing without sacrificing portability.
- • Solid-state drive. In keeping with its streamlined vision, the Series 9 uses an SSD drive (either 128GB or 256GB) instead of a traditional hard disk drive. SSDs are much faster and more durable because they don’t have moving parts.
- • A thoroughbred workhorse. Pride of ownership won’t get your work done for you. You also demand a machine with capabilities just as advanced as its build quality. Measured by the PCMark 7 performance benchmark, the Series 9 scored far above the average for ultraportables. The Series 9 easily runs multiple applications at once without slowing down or generating excessive heat. The battery lasts up to 10 hours—long enough to handle your toughest workdays.
- • Amazingly fast boot and start. The Series 9 boots up in just 9.1 seconds and wakes from hibernation in just 1.4 seconds.
An ambitious design philosophy doesn’t always translate into real-world excellence. But in the case of the Series 9 laptop, you’ll experience its focus on quality and simplicity every day.