1969 - 1938
On March 1, 1938, founding chairman Byung-Chull Lee started a business in Daegu, Korea, focused primarily on trade export, selling dried Korean fish, vegetables, and fruit to Manchuria and Beijing. In little more than a decade, Samsung which means "three stars" in Korean would have its own flour mills and confectionery machines, its own manufacturing and sales operations, and. From these humble beginnings, Samsung would ultimately evolve to become the modern global corporation that still bears the same name today.
- Samsung-Sanyo Electronics established (renamed Samsung Electro-Mechanics in March 1975 and merged with Samsung Electronics in March 1977)
- Joong-Ang Development established (known today as Samsung Everland)
- DongBang Life Insurance acquired (renamed Samsung Life Insurance in July 1989)
- Ankuk Fire & Marine Insurance acquired (renamed Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance in October 1993)
- Cheil Industries Inc. founded
- Samsung Moolsan established (now Samsung Corporation)
- Samsung founded in Daegu, Korea
You are about to leave the Samsung New Zealand website. Samsung makes no warranty or representation as to the accuracy or quality of any information, services or products from a third party provider.