1999 - 1997
the Digital Frontier
Despite the 1997 financial crisis that affected nearly all Korean businesses, Samsung Electronics was one of the few companies that continued growing, thanks to its leadership in digital and network technologies and its steady concentration on electronics, finances and related services.
- Developed the world's first 3D TFT-LCD Monitor
- Developed a wireless Internet phone (Smartphone)
- Launched the world's 1st MP3 mobile phone
- Achieved top share of world's TFT-LCD market
- Began the mass production of world's first digital TV
- Developed a complete flat-screen TV
- Served as a Olympic Partner at the Nagano Winter Olympics
- Developed world's first 128MB Synchronous DRAM and 128MB Flash memory
- Became a Worldwide Olympic Partner (TOP) in the wireless communications category
- Developed world's first complete 30" TFT-LCD
- Announced 2nd phase of "New Management"