All About 3D — Experience Immersive 3D
3D has revolutionised the entertainment industry from film through to cinema screen and is set to continue right through to your living room. If you’re ready to experience 3D and would like to learn more, read on to learn how 3D TV technology works, see what you need to start watching and get answers to frequently asked questions.
What is 3D and how is it different from 2D?
3D is about recreating a stereoscopic visual experience that our eyes are naturally accustomed to. When we view conventional two dimensional images whether it is the local newspaper or regular programming on TV, the experience is quite simply – “flat”. The missing ingredient in conventional 2D viewing that sets 3D apart is “depth”. It is this additional dimension of “depth” that makes us believe that something is “real”, in the same way that music in stereo sounds more believable than in mono.
A good 3D experience is all about creating believable “depth” and Samsung’s cutting edge 3D technology is extremely effective at recreating a compelling 3D experience.
Let us explain how Samsung 3D TV works:
How it Works
To deliver believable depth, Samsung’s active 3D technology employs a frame sequential system in which a full high definition image is delivered alternately to each eye to recreate crisp, 3D images.
1. Active 3D glasses with high speed LCD lenses alternate between delivering a full high definition image and blanking the image at ultra-high speeds
2. The high speed LCD lens for the other eye alternates between blanking the image and delivering a full high definition image at ultra-high speed
3. Each pair of 3D glasses are digitally synchronised in real time to the TV to recreate depth. Due to the high speed active LCD lenses, the 3D experience is fluid and seamless. Because the two lenses on each pair are synchronised separately, the likelihood of overlapping images or “crosstalk” is minimised.
What is Active 3D
One of the key benefits of Samsung active 3D is that the 3D experience can be delivered precisely in Full 1080 high definition to each eye. This means that high definition sources such as Blu-ray movies appear equally as sharp in 3D as they are in regular 2D.
Samsung offers one of the lightest and most comfortable ranges of active 3D glasses available! The SSG-3500CR 3D glasses, for example, weigh a mere 29 grams. Designed by specialist brand, Silhouette, the SSG-3500CR is not only ultra-comfortable, it is also rechargeable and offers up to 40 hours battery life on a single charge. All of Samsung’s active 3D glasses with the re-charge function have an Auto Power On feature which means the glasses will intelligently turn itself only when it needs to.
Samsung Active 3D – Bluetooth benefits
Samsung active 3D glasses are digitally synchronised to the Samsung 3D TV to deliver a seamless, believable 3D experience. Samsung 3D TVs are synchronised using Bluetooth technology with some notable advantages. Once synchronised, Samsung Bluetooth active 3D glasses allow for wide seating positions and therefore ample freedom to move around. This means that the 3D experience stays uninterrupted even if you are not seated right in front of the TV. Since the connection between the 3D glasses and the 3D TV is an intelligent one, Samsung 3D glasses with Auto Power On function can be activated and deactivated automatically by the TV when a 3D image is being played. This further prolongs the battery life of the 3D glasses even if you have forgotten to turn it off. If you have more than one Samsung 3D TV in your home, Samsung’s active 3D Bluetooth technology allows you to use the same pair of 3D glasses seamlessly and conveniently on each compatible 3D TV.
You can also watch 2D on a Samsung 3D TV
Virtually all of Samsung’s 3D capable TVs (with the exception of the D6000 series) have a sophisticated built-in 2D to 3D converter that allows you to transform regular 2D images to 3D. Because the processing is done in real time, all you simply need is to it hit the 3D button when you’re watching regular 2D content and it’s transformed into 3D. If you have a Samsung 3D TV without a built-in 2D to 3D converter, you should consider a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player or Blu-ray home entertainment system with a built-in 2D to 3D converter.
What You Need for 3D
1. A 3D-enabled TV or display device Most of Samsung’s 2011 Plasma TVs and over 60% of Samsung’s 2011 LED* TVs are 3D capable. To enjoy 3D, you must begin with a TV that is capable of displaying a 3D image such as the UA55D8000 LED TV illustrated above.
2. A 3D-enabled Blu-ray disc player or 3D-enabled Blu-ray disc home entertainment system
A source is also needed for 3D and to play 3D Blu-ray discs. You’ll need a 3D-enabled Blu-ray player or a 3D Blu-ray disc home entertainment system. The player simply links to the TV using a single high-speed HDMI cable and you are just about there to enjoy high quality 3D.
3. 3D Content 3D content is becoming more widely available and can be accessed from an increasing range of services. In addition to a growing catalogue of 3D Blu-ray movies, Samsung Smart TV owners can also access 3D content through the Explore 3D video on demand service that is available through the Samsung Smart TV apps**. With a wide range of free streaming content from full length documentaries to kids animations and music videos, Explore 3D allows viewers to enjoy in 3D via the internet.
4. 3D Glasses. All Samsung 3D TVs come included with one pair of 3D glasses as a minimum so you can start enjoying almost immediately. Further, Samsung has a diverse range of 3D glasses readily available from lightweight battery-type glasses through to premium rechargeables.
Watch and find out what you need for 3D
Can I watch regular TV on my Samsung 3D TV?
Yes—all 3D TVs are capable of displaying 3D content as well as conventional 2D programming.
Can my Samsung 2D TV be upgraded to view in 3D?
Unfortunately this is not possible. A 3D capable Samsung TV is required.
If I have a Samsung 3D capable Blu-ray player can I still use it to play back 2D content on my Samsung TV?
Yes – Samsung 3D Blu-ray players are capable of playing back in both 2D as well as 3D. The Blu-ray player will be able to automatically detect whether the connected TV is 3D capable so to ensure correct 2D or 3D viewing. When playing back a 3D Blu-ray disc on a Samsung 2D TV, the Blu-ray player has the ability to convert the images for regular 2D viewing.
Do I always need to wear 3D glasses when watching TV?
Only when you are watching content in 3D. 3D glasses are not required when viewing in regular 2D.
Will other brands 3D glasses work with Samsung 3D TVs?
Not presently. You need to remain with the manufacturer of the 3D TV to ensure full compatibility with their 3D glasses.
How many pairs of 3D glasses can a Samsung 3D TV support?
One of the benefits of Bluetooth technology is that it theoretically allows for an infinite number of pairs of 3D glasses to be synchronised to a 3D TV.
How should I clean my 3D glasses?
Samsung 3D glasses typically come with a cleaning bag or cleaning cloth that can be used to wipe the 3D lenses without damaging or scratching them. Ensure that the lenses are clean from particles or grit before wiping with the cleaning cloth. As in the case with spectacles with polycarbonate lenses avoid using chemicals containing alcohol, solvents, or lubricant as these may result in discoloration or cracks on the lens surface.
What is the typical battery life on a pair of Samsung battery powered 3D glasses?
On Samsung 3D glasses, typically around 30 – 40 hours total operation. Samsung rechargeable 3D glasses also have a unique intelligent Auto Power function that turns on the 3D glasses only when a 3D signal is being viewed so to help ensure that the glasses do not run flat if you forget to push the Power Off button
*Samsung LED TVs combine LCD screens with LED edge-lights.
**Internet connection required. Data download, usage and subscription charges may apply.