From its inception as a small export business in Daegu, Korea, Samsung has grown to become one of the world's leading electronics companies, specialising in digital appliances and media, semiconductors, memory and system integration. Today Samsung's innovative and top quality products and processes are world recognised. This timeline captures the major milestones in Samsung's history, showing how the company expanded its product lines and reach, grew its revenue and market share and has followed its mission of making life better for consumers around the world.
* Samsung's History Menu Link
- - 2000-Present Pioneering the Digital Age
- - 1997-1999 Advancing the Digital Frontier
- - 1994-1996 Becoming a Global Force
- - 1990-1993 Competing in a Changing Tech World
- - 1980-1989 Entering the Global Marketplace
- - 1970-1979 Diversifying in Industries and Electronics
- - 1938-1969 Samsung's Beginnings
1990-1993 Competing in a Changing Tech World
The early 1990s presented tremendous challenges for high-tech businesses.
Mergers, coalitions, and buy-outs were common while competition and consolidation flourished. Companies were pressed to rethink their technology and services offerings. Business began to flow across borders between countries and companies. Samsung made the most of these opportunities by refocusing its business strategy to better respond to market demands.