Android 2.2 OS Explained
The leading mobile platform from Google - Google's Android operating system is changing the landscape of the mobile market. The latest version, Android 2.2, brings dozens of features designed to make the mobile experience even better.
What is Android?
Android is the only mobile operating system created by Google. It virtually turns your mobile device into a pocket-sized personal computer. Android comes with a full web browser and Internet surfing capabilities, access to over 150,000 applications through the Android™ Market, including Gmail and Facebook, plus the ability to play games, enjoy music and videos, send text messages, and make calls on your phone.
Android is open-source software, which means anyone can make the operating system better. That way, you benefit not only from the knowledge of Google developers but that of third-party developers too. You can also upgrade your existing Android phone to 2.2 and get the same benefits without spending an extra penny.
Increased Speed and Performance
Instant Wi-Fi Hotspot
Android™ 2.2 lets you turn your device into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot and use it to provide Internet access to your laptops and gaming consoles, just like a wireless connection you might find in your home or at a cafe. Once connected, you’ll be able to access the Internet using the same network on which your device normally runs, anywhere you have wireless data coverage.
Better Browser with Flash Support
Here are a few of the other new things you can do in Android™ 2.2:
- Download music directly to your device through the Android™ Market.
- Make hands-free calls on your phone with voice dialling.
- Easily restore app data in case you lose your device or get a new one.
- Get additional support for Microsoft® Enterprise and Microsoft® Exchange, including enhanced security and calendar synchronisation.
- Share your contacts over Bluetooth.
How do I get Android™ 2.2?
Different Android phones from different carriers offer upgrades in a variety of ways. If you already have an older version of the Android™ operating system on your phone, contact your carrier to see how and when you can update your specific model.
Is there more than one Android Phone?
Yes—There are a variety of phones offering the Android™ 2.2 operating system making it easy to find one that has the features and service plan you need. Check out Samsung’s Android phones or contact your current provider to see which ones they carry.
- Do More on the Go with the GALAXY Tab™
- Meet the Nexus S with Android 2.3
- Turn Your TV on to a Galaxy of Remote Possibilities
- Google Android OS Explained
- Galaxy Guide: Choosing Your Device
- Compare the Galaxy S III and Galaxy S III mini
- Gifts for the Luxury Lover
- Galaxy S: A New Era in AMOLED Technology
- 10 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Tab
- What Makes Smartphones Smart