Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., the leader in TV technology for eight years, today unveiled its first commercial Curved Ultra High Definition (UHD) TVs and announced its exciting 2014 curved and UHD TV line-up. The new product portfolio reinforces Samsung’s leadership and sets the pace for innovation, design and content across the industry.
In 2013 Samsung introduced three UHD TVs that sparked consumer demand for the new technology, alongside its first-ever TV featuring a curved design. For 2014, Samsung is demonstrating its commitment to driving new technologies and accelerating their adoption by introducing a range of Samsung UHD TVs including the world’s largest at 110”, as well as the world’s first and largest Curved UHD TV at 105”.
Guy Kinnell, Head of TV and AV, Samsung Electronics UK and Ireland said: “Following last year’s introduction of Samsung UHD TV, in 2014 Samsung will drive industry growth through tremendous innovation in UHD picture quality, breakthrough design and consumer choice. The combination of our curved design and UHD picture quality creates the ultimate immersive entertainment experience for people passionate about entertainment. Samsung is well-positioned to meet UHD demand with our new beautifully designed, feature-packed and future-ready Smart TVs.”
In recognition of its leadership in innovation, design and engineering, Samsung won six CES 2014 Innovation Awards for its TV line. The Samsung 65” H7150 LED Smart TV received a CES Best of Innovation Award, while five TVs – including the 78” U9000 (U8500 in Europe) Curved UHD TV and 110” S9 UHD TV, were named 2014 CES Design and Engineering honourees.
Ahead of the Curve in Creating the Ultimate Immersive Experience
Ushering in a bold new era of realism and immersion, Samsung is blending its innovative curved TV design with its UHD TV technology. These TVs deliver a bold theatrical experience and fundamentally change the way the world views TVs. The curved screen gives videos a presence not felt on flat screens whilst a wider field of view creates a panoramic effect that makes the display seem even bigger than it is. The curved design creates a balanced and uniformed viewing distance for a more true-to-life viewing experience with improved viewing angles and higher contrast from different viewing positions, so everyone watching has the best seat in the house.
To maximise the advantages of curved TV Samsung has developed the optimal curvature, 4200R, which provides the best picture quality from a normal watching distance of 3-4 meters. The combination of the curve and UHD technology creates the ultimate immersive viewing experience bringing images to life with spectacular colour, clarity and detail. This is augmented by Samsung’s proprietary Auto Depth Enhancer, an algorithm that analyses regions of images and automatically adjusts contrast for a greater sense of depth - giving an almost 3D like effect without glasses.
Colour is further enhanced with Samsung’s PurColour technology, which reproduces colour as film-makers envisioned, expressing more detailed shades. The number of colour adjustment points has been increased by a factor of seven for even more detail and colour expression (U8500 Series). In addition to the 105” Curved UHD TV, Samsung introduced the U8500 Series, the world’s first Curved UHD TVs, and expanded the curved form factor to its flagship Full HD H8000 LED TV series.
Introducing A Better and Broader Samsung UHD TV Line-up
With four times the resolution and pixels of Full HD, these UHD TVs provide unsurpassed picture quality in 4K resolution. Thanks to UHD Upscaling, featured on all Samsung UHD TVs, viewers are treated to the best possible picture, regardless of source material. The proprietary technology converts Full HD, HD and lower resolution sources to nearly-UHD clarity through a unique four-step process that includes signal analysis, noise reduction, detail analysis and upscaling, so everything looks better on Samsung UHD TVs. UHD Dimming technology also helps to further optimise picture quality by processing each block of a picture to deliver deeper blacks and improved contrast.
Samsung’s UHD TVs not only support today’s standards - including HEVC, HDMI 2.0, MHL 3.0 and HDCP 2.2; they are the only TVs on the market that are future-ready, thanks to the Samsung UHD Evolution Kit. The One Connect Box essentially houses the brains of the TV externally, enabling customers to switch out the box with the latest Samsung UHD Evolution Kit to stay up to date on the latest UHD standards, as well as to get access to the newest technology Samsung has to offer.
Through its three UHD TV series – S9, U8500 and U7500 – in 2014 Samsung will offer a full line-up of UHD Smart TV models in a large variety of sizes, and both curved and flat form factors so consumers can choose the UHD TV that best fits their lifestyle.
Smart Experience: Now Smarter, Easier and Faster than Ever
Samsung’s Smart TV is now even easier, faster and more fun to use. The new Multi-Link feature brings contextual multitasking to the big screen, enabling users to go deeper into their entertainment by splitting the screen to bring up related content and enhance the viewing experience. While enjoying live TV, consumers can populate a right-hand screen with contextual search results on the web browser, relevant YouTube video content and more for side-by-side enjoyment of related content. On Samsung’s new U8500 series, viewers have the option of splitting the large-screen real estate into a total of four screens.
The 2014 Samsung Smart Hub is more intuitive with a new design which organises content to be more easily accessible, giving people more control of their entertainment experience. The new Games Panel allows customers to enjoy the big-screen experience without entertainment system clutter. There will be a variety of popular family, sports, action and racing games from leading partners as a new multimedia panel combines the previous Photo/Video/Music and Social panels into one space to enjoy personal content and connections.
The new Smart TV experience is also lightning fast thanks to the upgraded Quad Core processor. The QuadCore Plus is two times faster and delivers quicker loading and navigation with an overall improved Smart TV performance. Instant On decreases the booting time and turning the TV on immediately without any waiting time, allowing Samsung customers to access to their entertainment faster than ever before.
Samsung’s 2014 UHD TV Line-up includes:
• Samsung 105-inch Curved UHD TV – The World’s First and Largest Curved UHD TV – The 105-inch Curved UHD TV features an expansive display, curved design and is the largest TV ever with a movie theatre aspect ratio of 21 x 9. The result is a truly cinematic viewing experience in the living room. From 4K content, to Full HD and HD sources, this TV boasts 11 million pixels for unmatched resolution. The combination of the screen size and Samsung’s Auto Depth Enhancer technology brings amazing depth to the picture and produces a life-like viewing experience.
• European launch plans for this model (105”) are to be confirmed.
• Samsung U8500 Series UHD TVs – The World’s First Curved UHD TVs – The U8500 Series provides the ultimate immersive viewing experience thanks to its astonishing UHD picture quality, curved form factor and unique design with brilliant 4K picture and wider field of view that draws viewers in like never before. It also delivers incredibly detailed colour without losing any detail. Viewers get a balanced and uniform viewing distance across all areas of the screen and curved TV has two times the enhanced contrast ratio in a normal viewing environment compared to flat TV. This second generation of Samsung curved screens can also be wall mounted with the specially designed kit, compatible with VESA Standards.
• Samsung S9 Series UHD TVs – World’s Largest UHD Display – Samsung’s much-acclaimed S9 line is growing to include the world’s largest display to offer UHD resolution at a larger-than-life 110”. The sheer size of the panel along with Samsung’s exceptional UHD picture quality and colour accuracy transforms the viewing experience.
This premium series changes the paradigm of TV design with Frame TV. The TV screen is a breakthrough concept compared to the stereotypical quadrilateral design of large screen TVs in the past. Using Samsung’s compression frame technology, the frame is strong and stable in structure, yet slim and sleek. Frame TV eschews the squared black bezel and conventional neck stand to indicate to the viewer that the S9 is something quite special.
• European launch plans for this model (110”) are to be confirmed.
• Samsung U7500 Series UHD TVs – Advanced UHD Picture Quality – The U7500 Series offers UHD resolution and detail, unmatched clarity and immersive, rich picture quality. The TV not only analyses the signal source and reduces artefacts but also now interpolates details based on information from a picture quality database that is embedded in the TV’s system-on-chip (SoC). As a result, it can more precisely render superb details like the wisps of a feather or texture of leather to process a finely tuned UHD picture. The Samsung U8500 UHD TV’s thinness of 1.2 inches and the extremely narrow 7mm (0.28”) bezel combine to create a panel-only illusion.
Please visit our CES booth to experience this future technology first-hand. Samsung's product line will be displayed from 7-10th January at booth #12004 in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
For further details please visit: http://www.samsung.com/uk/discover/news/samsung-at-ces-2014/
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 270,000 people across 79 countries with annual sales of US$187.8 billion. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com