product environment performance
Samsung Electronics makes an effort to develop environment-friendly product that minimizing an impact to environment through whole process from getting raw materials, production, transportation, usage and end-of-life disposal by adding 'environment' on function, price, quality, design that were the essence for product development.
For this process, we takes a responsibility for whole process through LCA and recycle evaluation and by operating recycling center for dealing with an efficient treatment of the waste product.
Product’s environmental impact is usually determined in design and developing phase. Therefore, it is required to consider the environment during product developing process and develop a tool to support it systematically.
Samsung Electronics has applied Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and DfX (Design for Assembly/Disassembly/Recycle/Service) supporting product development of whole product categories since 1995. The more environmental regulation is enforced and interested parties requiring environmental information of product increases, the more its importance of environment-friendly product is needed.
To efficiently evaluate and improve product environmental quality, we built the Eco-design evaluation system in 2004. For this system, multienvironmental impact potentially caused by electronic product was classified then detailed evaluation items were identified under three general environmental evaluation categories including resource efficiency, environmental hazardousness, and energy efficiency.
Eco design process
These evaluation items with target value should be achieved is integrated into conventional quality assurance system in order to be operated as a mandatory activity.
Additionally, Eco-design process enables to generate environmental information of product. This operating system is provisionally applied to printer and refrigerator in 2004, and is expanded to strategic product development projects.
Evaluating items and target value for each item will be continuously upgraded in order to improve environmental features for the Samsung products
Samsung has tried to develop more environmental-friendly products with the Eco-design guideline as follows;
- Reduce the resources to produce the products and consumables
- Design to maximize the recyclability of products after usage by implementing marking the plastics labeling according to ISO 11469, reduce the type of materials and so on.
toxicity to environment
- Minimize to use and emit the materials potentials to give negative influences to human and environment.
- Do NOT use the hazardous substances corresponding to 2002/95/EC for products
- Do NOT use four heavy metals according to 94/62/EC for packaging.
- Reduce the energy consumption in on-mode and standby-mode. The eco-design activities are linked the existing product quality activities in R&D process and are unclosed with Product Eco Declaration to stakeholders.