product environment performance
Samsung Electronics makes an effort to develop environment-friendly product that minimizing an impact to environment through whole process from getting raw materials, production, transportation, usage and end-of-life disposal by adding 'environment' on function, price, quality, design that were the essence for product development.
For this process, we takes a responsibility for whole process through LCA and recycle evaluation and by operating recycling center for dealing with an efficient treatment of the waste product.
policy on Coltan
What are coltan and tantalum?
Short for columbite-tantalite, coltan is a black, tar-like mineral used to produce tantalum powder which, in turn, is an essential element used in the manufacture of many portable electronic devices, including mobile phones. Coltan is found and mined in several regions around the world such as Australia, Brazil and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is known that illegally mined coltan from the Congo is contributing to intense political conflict in the region and causing significant harm to wildlife.
What is Samsung’ Policy on Coltan?
- Samsung’s Telecommunication Business has taken the following steps to endeavour that our mobile phones do not contain materials derived from illegally mined Congolese coltan:
- We do not purchase coltan directly from the Congo nor from any other source in the form of raw material. A limited number of our component vendors do supply us with tantalum-based components.
- In the cases when Samsung does use tantal-based components, the company requires suppliers to take appropriate measures in order to avoid using tantalum sourced from the Congo region.
- We request that all vendors refrain from purchasing tantalum powder mined in the Congo and we regularly audit vendors to ensure compliance. Our component vendors inform us that they obtain tantalum powder from the U.S.A, Russia and Thailand, not from the Congo.
- We are making efforts to use substitutes for tantalum based components where possible.
What is Samsung Electronics’ green management policy?
Further information on Samsung Electronics’ Green Management activities can be found at:
environmental & social report