- Home Screen
What do the different symbols and buttons on the Home screen represent?
The updated Home screen for Android™
3.1, Honeycomb is designed for a tablet’s display size. This redesigned screen includes several buttons and icons to help you more easily interact with the interface and applications.
- In the top left corner, you can select Google™ for Web searches or touch the Microphone to access Google Voice Actions.
- Touching the Plus Sign in the top right corner opens the Action Bar, a contextual menu that changes with every App or feature. On the Home screen, the Action Bar lets you customize the screen with wallpapers, shortcuts, and widgets.
- You can touch Apps in the top right corner to open the Applications menu.
- The bottom left corner features three icons that allow you to go back one screen, return to the Home screen, or view recently used Apps.
- The bottom right corner houses the time display, battery icon, and notifications.
How do I add shortcuts and widgets to the Home screen? How do I change the wallpaper?
Both of these functions can be opened by touching the Action Bar
(plus sign) in the top right corner of the Home screen. The editing menu can also be opened with a long press on a blank area of the Home screen.
- Touch Widgets or App Shortcuts to select items to add to the Home screen.
- Touch Wallpapers to select a new Home screen background.
- Touch More for additional options such as Web bookmarks, Contact cards, and Music Playlist shortcuts.
How do I organize the Home screen?
You can organize widgets and shortcuts on any of the five areas on the scrolling Home screen. To move a widget or shortcut from one screen to another, touch and hold the widget until it releases from the Home screen grid, and then drag it toward the edge of the screen into the frame of the next Home screen. The same long press (touch and hold) gesture can be used to move widgets and shortcuts around on the same Home screen.
How do I connect to Wi-Fi®?
To connect with a wireless internet network:
- Touch the Time Display in the lower right corner of the screen, and then touch the Internet Connection icon.
- Select Wi-Fi® to open Wi-Fi® settings.
- Touch the checkbox next to Wi-Fi® to turn on the service.
- Select the name of the network with which to connect. To search again for additional networks, touch the Action Bar in the top right corner of the screen and select Scan.
- Enter the network password, if requested to do so, to connect to the Wi-Fi® network.
Does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have an HDMI out? If so, what’s the output resolution?
The Galaxy Tab 10.1 does not have an HDMI port, but an optional 30-pin-to-HDMI adapter (HDTV adapter connects the tablet directly to the HDMI port in a TV or computer for 1080p HD output.)*
Does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have a USB port?
The tablet does not have an onboard USB port, but an optional USB adapter / connection kit offers an adapter to allow USB thumb drives to plug in to the tablet.
Does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have a USB data cable to transfer files?
Yes, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 includes a 30-pin USB data cable as part of the charging unit. The cable can be plugged into the charging block to charge the tablet from a wall outlet, or it can be used without the charging block to transfer data between the tablet and a computer. For any other device with a USB port, such as digital camera, you will need to purchase a USB adapter / connection kit separately.
Does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have an SD slot?
The tablet does not have an SD slot, but an optional SD card adapter is available as part of the USB adapter / connection kit and enables SD card connectivity to the tablet.
Why should I add a Google™ account to the Galaxy Tab 10.1? How do I add one?
You should add a Google™
account so you can access important Google™
features such as Gmail™
, Google Talk™
, and Android™
Market. Once a Google™
account is added, these services are automatically configured.
- To set up a Google™ account, touch Apps > Settings > Accounts & sync.
- Touch Add Account (in the top right corner of the display) and select Google™.
- Enter the email address and password associated with an existing Google™ account and touch Sign In.
- To create a new account, enter the desired @gmail.com email address and password, and touch Create Account.
- Touch Done to complete account setup.
How do I sign in to Google Talk™ to video chat with friends?
After setting up a Google™
account, you can video chat via Google Talk™
- Touch Apps > Talk.
- Touch Sign In, if required to do so.
- Touch the checkbox next to Allow Video and Voice Chats.
- The displayed Friends list includes all of the friends you have added by using Google Talk™ on the Web, on the phone, or with a desktop application. A green video camera will signal that you are available for video chat. Touch the name of any friend in the Talk contacts list whose name displays a green video camera.
- Touch the Camera icon to the right of the chat window to launch a video chat.
Can I control any of the Galaxy 10.1’s functions through voice recognition?
Built-in voice recognition through Google Voice Actions lets you control many functions on the device, such as dialing a call, dictating a message, searching the internet, retrieving driving directions, and much more.
To launch Voice actions, touch the Microphone icon in the top left corner of the Home screen. Speak a command, or touch Help to view suggested commands.
How do I transfer music, video, photos, and other media files from my computer to the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1?
Music, video, photos, and other media files can be transferred to the tablet via the 30-pin USB data cable included with the tablet. Connect the cable to the tablet and to a USB port on your computer.
- On a Microsoft® Windows computer, open Windows Explorer and drag and drop files from the computer onto the tablet’s drive icon.
- On an Apple® Macintosh® computer, you should visit android.com/filetransfer to install the Android™ File Transfer utility. Follow the program instructions to move files.
Please note that the included USB data cable can only be used to transfer data between the tablet and a computer. For any other device with a USB port, such as digital camera, you will need an optional USB adapter/ connection kit.
Does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have a separate graphics card?
The Tab does not have a separate graphics card, but the powerful 1Ghz Tegra2 dual-core processor delivers smooth video playback and gaming performance.
Does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 support Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2?
Yes, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 supports Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2. Adobe® Flash® is a browser-based application that lets you experience richer content on the internet through Adobe® Flash® Player compatible Web pages, and videos and animations for Adobe® Flash®.
How do I manage Pulse Feeds?
The preloaded Pulse application offers a visually stimulating way to catch up on news feeds and blogs. Several popular feeds are preinstalled, but you can change and add feeds, and it can also be synced with the your Google Reader™ account.
To manage Pulse feeds, touch Apps > Pulse and touch the Settings icon in the top left corner of the display. To add a source, touch the Plus button, or to delete a source, touch the red X next to its name.
What accessories are available for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1?
Samsung offers a wide range of accessories to enhance the Galaxy Tab 10.1 experience. For this device, accessories include:
- Desktop Dock
- Full-Size Keyboard Dock
- Bluetooth® Keyboard with Integrated Leather Case
- HDMI Adapter*
- Camera and USB Adapter
- Silicone-Tip Pen Stylus
- Leather Book Cover Case
- Car Charger
- TV-Out (Composite) Cable
Photos and Videos
How do I take photos?
You can capture photos with either the 3.0 megapixel rear-facing camera or the 2.0 megapixel front-facing camera.
- Touch Apps > Camera.
- Use the buttons on the menu to adjust the flash, white balance, color effects, exposure, and scene modes.
- Touch the Camera Icon to capture the photograph.
How do I switch between the front- and rear-facing cameras?
To switch between the front-facing and rear-facing cameras while in the Camera App, touch the Switch icon (camera with a circular arrow) to change between the two.
How do I record a video of myself to use for video blogging?
You can easily shoot video of yourself with the front-facing camera.
- To launch the camcorder function, touch Apps > Camera.
- Use the slider on the right side of the screen to select the camcorder.
- Touch the Shooting Mode button in the menu and select Self Recording.
- Touch the Record button to begin the video.