Upon returning, wait two to four hours after plugging the refrigerator in before putting food inside. Only add food to the freezer once the freezer temperature is below 0º F (-18º C). If your refrigerator has a filter, it should be replaced.
What Should I Do with My Refrigerator When I Leave for a Long Time?
If you are not going to be using your refrigerator for a long time, these simple tips can help ensure that the refrigerator will be clean and fresh upon your return.
Place a fabric softener sheet on each shelf and in each bin, or spread baking soda evenly in 2 cookie sheets (or similar containers) and place one inside of the fridge and on in the freezer. Baking soda absorbs odors more effectively over a larger surface area.
- Empty the refrigerator of all its contents.
- Empty all of the ice out of the ice bucket and ice maker.
- If the unit has a water dispenser, shut off the water supply and then hold down the water dispenser until water stops dispensing.
- Unplug the refrigerator.
- Clean the inside of the refrigerator and freezer, and dry all surfaces.
- Leave the doors open to allow air to circulate. Mold and mildew can form inside of the unit if the doors are shut.
- Place an object over the edge of the doors that will prevent the doors from closing by themselves.
Thank you for your feedback!