Using your mobile device as a mobile access point is data-intensive and will dramatically reduce battery life. It is recommended you contact your wireless carrier and ask about availability with your current plan. It is also recommended you keep the device plugged in while the hotspot feature is turned on.
What is Portable Wi-Fi® Hotspot, and how do I use it on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus™?
The portable Wi-Fi® hotspot feature lets you share your mobile device’s data connection with other devices by turning your device into a wireless access point. You can connect up to 10 wireless devices via Wi-Fi.
Turn On the Hotspot
- From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > More... > Tethering & portable hotspot.
- Mark the Portable Wi-Fi hotspot checkbox.
- If you are connected to a Wi-Fi access point, you will be disconnected from the access point before you can use the portable Wi-Fi hotspot feature.
Note: The portable Wi-Fi hotspot icon is displayed at the top of your screen when the feature is active.
Configure the Hotspot
Touch Set up Wi-Fi hotspot to access the hotspot settings. You can use the predefined settings or customize the settings. When configuring the feature, enter or edit the Network SSID, select the Security feature, and enter or edit the Password (if required). Touch Save to continue. The mobile hotspot will turn off and turn back on with the newly configured settings.
Connecting to Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Activate Wi-Fi on the device you want to connect to your mobile device.
- Search for your hotspot using the information shown on the portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings screen, and enter the necessary information.
Thank you for your feedback!