Thank you for your feedback!
What are the different buttons and other physical features of my Samsung Epic™ 4G?
Learn about the physical features of your device in the sections below.
Front View of Your Phone
- Proximity Sensor detects how close an object is to the surface of the screen. This is typically used to detect when your face is pressed up against the screen, such as during a phone call.
- While talking on the phone, the sensor detects talk activity and locks the keypad to prevent accidental key presses.
- Status Bar Icons provide information about your device's status and options, such as signal strength, wireless technology, roaming, ringer setting, messaging, and battery charge.
- Touchscreen Display displays all the information needed to operate your device, such as the call status, the Contacts list, and the date and time. Also provides one-touch access to all of your features and applications.
- HOME Key returns you to the Home screen. Press and hold to open the recently-used applications window.
- MENU Key allows you to access your device's main functions menu: Add, Wallpaper, Search, Notifications, Edit, and Settings. While in a menu, press to open a list of actions available from the current screen or onscreen option.
- During an active call, press to open additional call options such as Contacts or Memo.
- SEARCH Key displays the Quick Search box that can be used to search for a key term both on the device and online. It's the ultimate search field.
- For example, entering the word "Pa", will display
any matching entries from your device's Contacts list, current device applications, online Android/Google apps, or from any online Web page via Google™ search.
- Press and hold to launch Voice Search where you
can initiate a Google™ search by verbally entering a text string. The device recognizes your spoken words and initiates a Web search.
- BACK Key returns you to the previous menu, closes
a dialog box, or exits an onscreen menu/option.
- Light sensor lets you use the ambient light level to adjust the screen brightness/contrast.
- In a bright light condition (outdoors), the sensors cause the device to increase the brightness and contrast for better viewing.
- In dim light conditions, the device increases the
screen brightness to compensate.
- Self Camera Lens, for use with the Qik application, take pictures while facing the screen, and allows you to video conference.
- Front Indicator Light (LED) displays a device notification, charging status, or alert.
Side Views of Your Phone
- Earpiece lets you hear the caller and automated prompts.
- Volume Button allows you to adjust the ringer volume in standby mode, the voice volume during a call, and media playback volume.
- Camera Button lets you activate the camera and camcorder and take pictures and videos.
- Charger/Accessory Jack allows you to connect the phone charger or a USB cable (included).
CAUTION! Inserting an accessory into the incorrect
jack may damage the device.
- microSD Card Slot lets you use a microSD card to expand the memory of your phone. (A 16GB SDHC card comes preinstalled in your Epic 4G.)
Rear View of Your Phone
- Camera Lens, as part of the built-in camera, this 5.0 megapixel camera lets you take pictures and videos.
- Flash, as part of the built-in camera, provides an additional light source for pictures during low-light conditions.
- Microphone allows other callers to hear you clearly when you are speaking to them.
- External Speaker lets you hear the different ringers and sounds. You can mute the ringer when receiving incoming calls by pressing the volume button. The speaker also lets you hear the caller's voice in speakerphone mode.
Landscape Mode View of Your Phone
- QWERTY Keyboard provides an alphanumeric character keyboard layout. Lets you enter numbers, letters, and characters, as well as navigate within menus.
- Fn Key (Function) key lets you enter the alternate character or symbol displayed on each
key on the QWERTY keyboard.
- Shift Key lets you toggle alphabet characters between mixed case, uppercase, and lowercase. Character case remains as selected until the Shift key is pressed again.
- Smiley Key lets you access Smiley icons (Emoticons).
- Space Key lets you add spaces between words and characters.
- Navigation Keys allow you to navigate around your device's menu options while in Landscape mode.
- Enter Key lets you enter additional lines of text.
- Function Keys allows you to access your device's main functions while in Landscape mode (Menu and Back on the left, Home and Search on the
right). These buttons function in the same manner as those below the display screen.
- Delete Key deletes characters from the display in text entry mode.
© 2015 Samsung Electronics America, Inc. SAMSUNG is a registered trademark of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. All other brands, products and services, and their respective trademarks, names and logos, are the property of their respective owners. The above content is provided for entertainment and information purposes only. Consult user manual for more complete information. All information included herein is subject to change without notice. Samsung is not responsible for any direct or indirect damages, arising from or related to use or reliance of the content herein.