Thank you for your feedback!
[Android™ 4.4, KitKat] Can I change the Keyboard Input options on my Samsung Galaxy S® 4?
You can change the keyboard settings on your device by following the instructions below.
Change Default Keyboard
From the Home screen by touching Menu > Settings > My device > Language and input . Your device comes preloaded with the Samsung keyboard and Swype® keyboard. You can specify the default keyboard to be used by touching Default under Keyboards and input methods.
Touch next to Samsung keyboard to customize keyboard settings:
- Portrait keyboard types: There are two settings: Alphabets and Numbers and symbols. Select from either a Qwerty keyboard or 3 x 4 keyboard for when holding your device in portrait orientation.
- Input languages: Select the input languages you want your device's keyboard to support. When you select more than one language here, you can quickly switch between languages by swiping your finger across the space bar. Touch > Update to view additional languages available for download.
- Predictive text: Touch the slider to turn Predictive text on . Touch Predictive text to edit the following predictive text settings:
- Personalized data: Mark this option to make predictive results better with the data collected from external accounts.
- Personalization: When this feature is active you can adjust the following settings:
- Learn from Facebook®: Sign in to your Facebook account to learn your writing style.
- Learn from Gmail™: Sign in to your Gmail account to learn your writing style.
- Learn from Twitter®: Sign in to your Twitter account to learn your writing style.
- Learn from Messaging: Let the keyboard learn your writing style from your messaging style.
- Learn from Contacts: Let the keyboard learn your style from your contacts entries.
- Clear remote data: Delete all information stored anonymously on the server.
- Clear personalized data: Remove all personalized data stored on the device.
- Continuous input: When you turn on Predictive text, mark the Continuous input option to enable you to spell words by swiping your finger across the keyboard to each letter of the word.
- Cursor control: Marking the checkbox turns on the option to let you move the cursor by sliding your finger across the keyboard. Note: Using cursor control will turn off continuous input.
- Key-tap vibration: Turn on haptic feedback when you are using the keyboard.
- Key-tap sound: Your device will play a sound when you touch a key on the keyboard.
- Handwriting: Touch Handwriting to edit the following settings:
- Recognition type: Set the type of recognition your device should use when you input text using handwriting: Stroke recognition or Complete recognition.
- Recognition time: Set the delay after you stop writing a word before your device should begin converting your handwriting to text.
- Pen thickness: Set the pen thickness you see in the handwriting pad.
- Pen color: Set the color of the pen.
- About: View the current version of the handwriting feature installed on your device.
- Advanced: Touch Advanced to edit the following settings:
- Auto capitalization: Have your device auto-capitalize words at the beginning of a sentence and for proper nouns.
- Auto spacing: Insert spaces between words automatically.
- Auto-punctuate: Have your device enter a period at the end of a sentence when you touch the space bar twice.
- Character preview: When you touch a letter, a preview of the selected letter appears, making it easier to verify you are typing correctly.
- Help: View a help tutorial on using the Samsung keyboard.
- Reset settings: Reset the Samsung keyboard settings, except personalized data and downloaded languages, to their default values.
Touch next to Swype to customize the keyboard settings, or when entering text in the Swype keyboard touch and hold the Settings icon to change settings:
- Vibrate on keypress: Vibrate when a key is touched.
- Sound on keypress: Play a sound when a key is touched.
- Pop-up on keypress: Display the character above the key when typing.
- Show complete trace: Displays the complete trace as you swipe across the screen.
- Auto-correction:When you touch the spacebar or enter punctuation typing mistakes will be auto-corrected
- Auto-capitalization: Automatically capitalize the first letter of a new sentence.
- Auto-spacing: Automatically insert a space between words.
- Next word prediction: Predict words based on the previously entered text.
- Show Voice key: Show Voice key on the Swype keyboard for inputting text from speech.
- My Words: The following options are available:
- Backup & Sync: Automatically back up and sync your personal dictionary.
- Living Language: Automatically update Swype with popular new words.
- Social integration: Log in to your Facebook®, Twitter®, and Gmail™ to learn new words and contact names.
- Edit my dictionary: Manage custom words, usernames, and contacts added to your personal dictionary.
- Clear language data: Delete all personal language data, including your words.
- Contribute usage data: Collect data from the device to improve predictions.
- Cellular data: Allow Swype updates over your cellular data connection.
- Languages: You can change the current language selection and download additional languages.
- Gestures: Gesture shortcuts on the keyboard.
- Help: Instructions on How to Swype, Show helpful tips option and About Swype version
- Updates: Check for any Swype updates.
Switching Text Entry Modes
To switch Input Method when entering text, first open the Notification Panel by swiping your finger from the top of the screen to the bottom, then touch Select input method, and finally select one of the input methods. Another way to change the default keyboard is by touching Default under My device > Language and input.