Samsung reimagines the night with Vivid Sydney 2018
More than 133,000 guests experienced The Night. Reimagined.
Samsung Electronics Australia brought the power of its flagship smartphone to life through a dazzling experience at Vivid Sydney 2018 with 133,489 guests visiting the activation during the 23-day festival.
The Night. Reimagined showcased key features of the Galaxy S9 and S9+ smartphones through a series of interactions that could be personalised, captured, and instantly shared via social media.
During Vivid, Samsung filmed a 15 and 30 second TVC to share The Night. Reimagined experience with people across the country. Core frames of the creative were shot independently on the Galaxy S9+ to demonstrate the power of the smartphone and its low-light camera capabilities. Leo Burnett’s produced the content on behalf of Samsung, which is running nationally across TV and online until July 4, 2018. The TVC can be viewed here.
The Night. Reimagined. – Fast Facts
• 133,489 total visitors
• 17,502 AR Emoji’s created and projected on the Luna Park face
• 11,741 total super slow-mo videos created
• 10,931 low light photos taken on the Samsung Galaxy S9 and shared to visitors
• Approximately 1,130 hours of development time
• 24 days of pre-build construction totaling over 4,700 hours
• 8 days of onsite construction
• 25 tonnes of infrastructure, equivalent to 18 Holden Commodores
• 1,000 square metres of space outside the iconic Sydney Opera House – the size of four tennis
• 2,000 metres of dynamic LED strip lighting – enough to reach from the Sydney Opera House
Forecourt all the way back to Town Hall
• 3,800 metres of power cabling.
Danielle Palmer, Marketing Director for IT and Mobile, Samsung Electronics Australia
"Nothing like this has ever been undertaken by Samsung in Australia and we believe ‘The Night. Reimagined’ is a wonderful example of how we can collaborate with partners to bring the brand to life by placing our technology at the centre of an experience," said Danielle Palmer, Marketing Director, Samsung Electronics Australia.
"Enabling Aussies to do things they never thought possible is something we’re passionate about. Creating a fun, authentic and memorable technology experience with Vivid Sydney and the Sydney Opera House has been incredible, and we’re excited to see where it could go next."
Grant McAloon, Executive Creative Director, Leo Burnett Sydney
"Samsung’s Do What You Can’t ethos is always rewarding to engage with. Leo’s is constantly pushing boundaries, seeking to do what can’t be done, and taking activations to new levels, as we have with The Night. Reimagined. This is another great example of how a brave client with a strong mission, can help you do the exceptional and audacious." said Grant McAloon, Executive Creative Director, Leo Burnett Sydney.
Antony Gowthorp, Managing Director, IMAGINATION:
"This is one of the most remarkable projects we have ever been involved with. The ambition of The Night. Reimagined has resulted in an incredibly unique and immersive experience," said Antony Gowthorp, Managing Director, IMAGINATION. "Having visitors interact with technology on such an epic scale is something we’ve been so excited to see and proud to be part of."
About The Night. Reimagined.
Visitors to The Night. Reimagined. explored the epic two-storey, 9-shaped labyrinth constructed on the Sydney Opera House Forecourt. During their visit, guests could choose to sample key Galaxy S9 and S9+ features including super slow-mo video, low-light photography, and have their very own personalised AR Emoji captured on-site and projected for 13 seconds onto Luna Park’s iconic face.
Upon entering The Night. Reimagined., guests were surrounded by 2km of dynamic LED strip lighting as they made their way through the spiraling aperture structure to three incredible zones designed around the Galaxy S9 and S9+ features:
- AR Emoji zone: Using the Galaxy S9, guests received a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to turn their selfie into a personalised AR Emoji that was then transferred 1.1km across the Sydney Harbour to be projected onto the face of Luna Park. Only nine times in Luna Park’s 83-year history has its iconic face been changed and The Night. Reimagined.marks the first time it will be done with digital emoji.
- Super Slow-mo zone: While every part of The Night. Reimagined. offered a unique Instagram-worthy moment, the Super Slow-mo zone features chrome-plated balls bursting into the air. This took place in front of a mirror, so guests could capture mesmerising and instantly sharable slow-motion video selfies on the Galaxy S9.
- Low Light Balcony – Standing 4.5 metres above the Sydney Opera House Forecourt, visitors had the opportunity to capture amazing low light photographs using the Samsung Galaxy S9 with unrivalled views of the Sydney Harbour and the Sydney Opera House.
Once attendees had moved through the camera zones and seen their AR Emojis projected onto Luna Park, they also received a souvenir pack via text or email with images and selfies from the experience, including a photo of their very own AR Emoji emblazoned across Luna Park’s entrance.
Client: Samsung Electronics Australia
Creative & production: Leo Burnett
Brand Experience: Imagination
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies. The company is redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, digital appliances, network systems, and memory, system LSI, foundry and LED solutions. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at https://news.samsung.com.
About Vivid Sydney
Vivid Sydney is the world’s largest festival of light, music and ideas and now the largest event in Australia. For 23 days - from 25 May to 16 June 2018 – the event places a spotlight on Sydney and reinforces its position as the home of light, creativity, cutting edge music, engaging conversations and the exchange of new ideas. The festival is owned, managed and produced by Destination NSW, the NSW Government’s tourism and major events agency. In 2017 Vivid Sydney attracted a record 2.33 million attendees and injected over $143 million into NSW’s visitor economy. For more information visit www.vividsydney.com