Galaxy S3: What is portable Wi-Fi HotSpot, and how do I use it?
The Mobile HotSpot feature lets you share your mobile device’s data connection with other devices by turning your device into a wireless access point. You can connect up to 10 wireless devices via Wi-Fi®.
WARNING: Using your mobile device as a mobile access point is data-intensive and will dramatically reduce battery life. It is recommended you contact your wireless carrier and ask about availability with your plan. It is also recommended you keep the device plugged in while the HotSpot feature is turned on.
1. From the Home screen, touch Menu > Settings > Connections > More networks > Tethering and Mobile HotSpot > Mobile HotSpot.
2. Touch the slider to turn Mobile HotSpot on .
3 .If you are connected to a Wi-Fi access point, you will be disconnected from the access point before you can use the portable Wi-Fi HotSpot feature. Touch OK to continue.
The icon is displayed at the top of your screen when the Mobile HotSpot is turned on.
Configure the HotSpot
1. You can use the predefined settings or touch Configure to edit the settings.
2. When configuring the feature, enter or edit the Network SSID (network name), select the Security feature, and enter or edit the Password (if required).
3. Touch Show advanced options to configure the Broadcast channel.
4. Touch Save to continue. The Mobile HotSpot will turn off and turn back on with the newly configured settings.
5. Touch the HotSpot name to configure the connection mode. Select All devices to allow connections from any device that has the correct connection information. Select Allowed devices only to limit connections to those devices defined in the Allowed devices list.
6. Touch next to Connected device to add the device to the allowed list. Enter a device name and touch OK. Or touch the Allowed devices list to add/remove the devices allowed to connect to the Mobile HotSpot. Touch Back to return to the previous screen.
Connecting to Portable Wi-Fi® HotSpot
1. Activate Wi-Fi on the device you want to connect to your mobile device.
2. Search for your HotSpot using the information shown on the portable Wi-Fi HotSpot settings screen, and enter the necessary information.
Thank you for your feedback!
Not finding what you're looking for? We're here to help.
We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through Live Chat
Shop the current Samsung product promotions.
Please send us an email regarding SmartThings inquires. Assistance with Hubs, Kits, Sensors and Outlets.
Watch and learn how to get the most out of your Samsung products!
Purchase Consumables & Accessories for your Samsung Product.
Samsung Remote Service enables one of our specially trained technicians to remotely view and control your Samsung TV and smartphone to directly help you with your product.
Please send us an email for general questions or technical support.
For Canadian customers only.
Mon - Sun : 8:30 AM -12 AM (EST)
24/7 Call Support available for mobile devices only
8:30am – 12:00am midnight (EST)
7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Mon-Sat: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm (EST)
Text ‘SUPPORT’ to WECARE (932-273) and get instantly connected to live chat.*
*Standard messaging rates may vary by
carrier and do apply.
* For any printer related enquiries please visit the HP website .