Galaxy S8 - Insert a microSD card or remove it (SM-G950W)
Your device lets you use a microSD, microSDHC, or a microSDXC card, up to 256 GB, to expand memory space. This secure digital card lets you exchange pictures, music, and data with microSD compatible devices.
Note: Screens and settings available may vary depending on your Canadian wireless service provider and your software version.
Insert a microSD card
Warning: Be careful not to insert the ejector tool into the microphone hole also located on top of your device.
1. Insert the ejector tool (which comes with your device) into the hole in the SIM and microSD card tray on the top of your device as shown below. When the tray pops out, pull it out of the device.
2. Carefully place the microSD card into the larger opening in the tray and insert the tray.
Note: The SIM card slot is the lower, smaller opening.
Remove the microSD card
Important: You must unmount the microSD card before removing it.
1. From the Home screen, swipe up or down to access the Apps screen.
2. Touch Settings.
3. Touch the Search icon, then search for and select Storage.
4. Touch More Options.
5. Touch Storage settings.
6. Touch the Unmount icon to unmount the microSD card. This allows you to safely remove your microSD card.
7. Insert the ejector tool into the hole in the SIM and microSD card tray on the top of your device, as shown below. When the tray pops out, pull it out of the device.
Note: Be careful not to insert the ejector tool into the microphone hole also on top of your device.
8. Remove the microSD card from the tray and then insert the tray back into the device.
SD card recommendations
MicroSD card classes:
• MicroSD cards have capacity up to 2GB.
• MicroSDHC (High Capacity) cards offer capacity up to 32GB.
• MicroSDXC (extended Capacity) cards have capacity from over 32GB and up to 2TB.
• Each type of card has a speed rating of 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10, from slowest to fastest.
While you can use any class of microSD cards in your device, the microSDXC card is recommended for high-resolution video recording, due to its large storage capacity and high-speed read/write capability.
For less demanding use, such as still photography, regular microSD or microSDHC cards will be sufficient.
What can I do if I lost the ejector tool?
If you lost the ejector tool, don’t panic! It is easy to replace it with a very common object: a paper clip. Unfold one of the end of the paperclip (as shown above) and use it as an ejector tool. As you can see, it is a very simple DIY!
Thank you for your feedback!
Not finding what you're looking for? We're here to help.
We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through Live Chat
Please send us an email for general questions or technical support.
Shop the current Samsung product promotions.
Find out how to track your service online.
Please send us an email regarding SmartThings inquires. Assistance with Hubs, Kits, Sensors and Outlets.
Watch and learn how to get the most out of your Samsung products!
Find out how to submit an Online Service Request.
Purchase Consumables & Accessories for your Samsung Product.
Samsung Remote Service enables one of our specially trained technicians to remotely view and control your Samsung TV and smartphone to directly help you with your product.
Mon - Sun : 8:30 AM -12 AM (EST)
24/7 Call Support available for mobile devices only
8:30am – 12:00am midnight (EST)
7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Mon-Sat: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm (EST)
Text ‘SUPPORT’ to 932-273 and get instantly connected to live chat.*
*Standard messaging rates may vary by
carrier and do apply.
* For any printer related enquiries please visit the HP website .