Galaxy Note9 - Secure the Access to Your Device (SM-N960W)
You rely on your Note9 for almost everything, including making online payments and storing personal information. Because of this, you’ll want to protect your phone, and keep your data safe and sound. Don’t worry, your Galaxy Note9 has upgraded screen lock features to include Iris Scanning, Face Recognition, and Intelligent Scan, so your information will stay private.
Screens and settings available may vary depending on your Canadian wireless service provider and your software version.
You always keep your door locked, just in case. And you should do the same thing with your Note9, so no one can sneak their way inside. To keep out intruders, set up a Lock screen, which will require at least a PIN or password to lock your phone.
From Settings, search for and select Screen lock type. Then, select your desired type of lock and follow the on-screen instructions to set it up.
Here are the basic lock screen types:
• Swipe: Swipe the screen to unlock it. This type does not provide any security.
• Pattern: Create a pattern that can unlock your phone.
• PIN: Select a number PIN for unlocking the screen.
• Password: Create a password for unlocking your phone.
• None: This will not lock the screen at all.
You’ve always been told you have nice eyes, but has anyone ever told you they are secure too? If you use Iris Scanner, you can unlock your Note9 using your eyes.
From Settings, search for and select Iris Scanner under BIOMETRICS AND SECURITY. You will be required to enter your existing credentials before proceeding. Read the DISCLAIMER and then touch OK. Touch CONTINUE and then follow the on-screen instructions to scan your irises. Make sure nothing obstructs your eyes, such as sunglasses or long bangs.
Afterwards, make sure to touch TURN ON so Iris Unlock with be enabled. Then, check out the Secure lock settings:
• Remove iris data: Delete stored iris information.
• Preview screen mask: Preview and change screen mask.
• Samsung Pass: Access your online accounts using Iris scan.
• Iris unlock: Turn Iris Scan on or off.
• Screen-on iris recognition: Unlock your device with iris recognition as soon as the screen turns on.
• Tips for iris recognition: Learn about the best practices for using the iris scanner.
Even in the age of filters, everyone still has their own unique facial features that no one else can imitate. Because of this, you can add Face Recognition to your Lock screen to create an extra layer of security. Only your individual facial data will be able to unlock your phone.
From Settings, search for and select Face Recognition under BIOMETRICS AND SECURITY. You will be required to enter your existing credentials before proceeding. Read the DISCLAIMER and then touch OK. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to register your facial data.
Once it’s registered, choose your desired setting:
• Remove face data: Delete stored face information.
• Samsung Pass: Access online accounts using face recognition.
• Face unlock: Turn Face Recognition on or off.
• Screen-on face recognition: Unlock your device with Face Recognition as soon as the screen turns on.
• Faster recognition: Allows the recognition process to work faster, but reduces accuracy.
Intelligent Scan combines Iris scanner and Face Recognition for the best of both worlds. Face recognition usually needs a bright environment while Iris scanner works better in dark conditions. When you combine them together, they work together so lighting isn’t an issue.
From Settings, search for and select Intelligent Scan under BIOMETRICS AND SECURITY. You will be required to enter your existing credentials before proceeding. Follow the on-screen instructions to set them up. When that’s all done, make sure to touch the slider next to Intelligent Scan to enable it.
Once Intelligent Scan is set up, you can adjust the following options:
• Remove face and iris data: Delete stored iris and face information.
• Samsung Pass: Access your online accounts using Intelligent scan.
• Intelligent scan unlock: Turn Intelligent Scan on or off.
• Screen-on intelligent scan: Unlock your device with Intelligent scan as soon as the screen turns on.
When you think of fingerprints, you probably think of crime shows. Instead of solving crimes, you can help prevent them by using the Fingerprint scanner. Your phone won’t unlock unless it reads your unique fingerprint. That way, no one can steal your personal information.
From Settings, search for and select Fingerprint Scanner under BIOMETRICS AND SECURITY. You will be required to enter your existing credentials before proceeding. Next, follow the on-screen prompts to register your fingerprint data. When it’s done, make sure to touch TURN ON to enable the feature.
Once your fingerprint is registered, you can adjust the following settings:
• Add fingerprint: Add additional fingerprints for yourself or family members.
• Samsung Pass: Access your online accounts using Fingerprint scanner.
• Samsung Pay: Use your Fingerprint to verify your identity when using Samsung Pay.
• Fingerprint unlock: Turn the Fingerprint lock feature on or off.
If you thought those were the only security features, you’ve got another thing coming. Yep, there are even more security settings; they are called Secure Lock settings, and they can help protect your phone if anything happens to it.
From Settings, search for and select Secure lock settings. But be aware that the Secure lock settings are only available when a screen lock is set.
You can use the following Secure lock settings on your phone:
• Lock automatically: Choose how long it takes your phone to lock after the display turns off.
• Lock instantly with power key: Lock your phone instantly when you press the Power key.
• Auto factory reset: After 15 incorrect attempts to unlock your phone, it will perform a Factory Data Reset, and all data will be erased, including files and downloaded apps.
• Lock network and security: This feature makes it so Wi-Fi and mobile data can’t be turned off when your phone is locked, making it easier to locate and protect if it’s lost or stolen.
Thank you for your feedback!
Not finding what you're looking for? We're here to help.
We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through Live Chat
Please send us an email for general questions or technical support.
Find out how to track your service online.
Please send us an email regarding SmartThings inquires. Assistance with Hubs, Kits, Sensors and Outlets.
Watch and learn how to get the most out of your Samsung products!
Join the Samsung Members community! Peer to peer support for mobile phones.
Find out how to submit an Online Service Request.
Mon - Sun : 8:30 AM -12 AM (EST)
7 days a week, 365 days a year
8:30am – 12:00am midnight (EST)
7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Mon-Sat: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm (EST)
* For any printer related enquiries please visit the HP website .