Cooking it up with Samsung
Cook off with Smart Oven and the RT6000 Refrigerator
Samsung Electronics Philippines Corporation (SEPCO) recently hosted a Recipe Cook Off Challenge at the kitchen studio of Samsung Digital Appliances Ambassador Chef Ernest Reynoso Gala. The event was held to show off the amazing features of the Samsung Smart Oven as well as to showcase the new Samsung RT6000 refrigerator.
Attendees of the event saw that the Samsung RT6000 refrigerator is the perfect fit for the modern homemaker because of its excellent cooling performance, space maximization, energy efficiency, durability due to its 10-year warranty, and premium design. It evenly distributes cool air so all the shelves are at equal temperature, leaving no warm spots and keeping your food fresher, longer. It also boasts of a smartly designed drawer. This provides an optimal environment for storing perishable food because of its tight seal that prevents moisture from escaping when humidity levels are low and its vent that releases excess moisture when humidity is high. It also has an energy efficient Digital Inverter Compressor that controls the cooling limit, consuming only the appropriate amount of energy that is needed.
Among the guests were food enthusiasts Kelly Misa, Rowena Lei, and Annalyn Jusay who invited their blog readers to submit healthy and delicious recipes. Their submissions served as their invitations t the cook off and the readers who had the best recipe entries then actively participated in the cook off where their final products were judged by Chef Gala and the Samsung Team. Dishes prepared ranged from Roasted Chicken Seasoned with Lemongrass and Basil Leaves to Thai Chicken Nuggets with Red Curry Sauce.
Given the 1-hour time limit, the Samsung appliances they used proved to be quick and efficient in assuring the freshness of the ingredients, without jeopardizing the taste and quality of the food. In the end, it was Kelly Misa and Roki Ferrer’s Mediterranean Chicken Tanjine with Couscous that was the winning dish.
With Samsung’s Digital Appliances like the Samsung RT6000 and the Samsung Smart Oven, creating new, exciting, and nutritious meals for the family just got easier!
CHICKEN TANJINE RECIPE
1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces (used all breast for this) 1 head garlic (15 cloves) 1 small red onion, quartered 1 small can pimientos (2 pcs), sliced 10 prunes, cut in half 1/4 cup dried kumquats (available in Asian specialty stores) or Mylar lemons Juice of 1 lemon, peel reserved 1 cup cubed potatoes 1/4 cup melted butter, plus some for greasing dish 1 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric (yellow ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or 1 cinnamon bark
- 1 tablespoon local saffron (kasubha), or 1 small pinch real saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- big pinch of chili flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Grease a large oven casserole with butter.
- Place chicken on the dish and rub thoroughly with the spice mix.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Cover tightly with foil (double up the foil to make sure steam does not escape), and bake for at least 2 hours. If you have a real Tajine, you can do this over the stove.
- Then lower the heat to 325F, uncover the dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup coucous
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch saffron
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- dash of cinnamon
- pinch of pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Bring water, saffron and salt to a boil.
- Add couscous and cover. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir in pecans, cinnamon, lemon juice and parsley.
- Serve with Chicken Tajine and Tzatziki.
For the Tzatziki:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Combine and put in fridge until ready to serve.