Frequently Asked Questions about Biometrics and Security on Galaxy S10 series
The Galaxy S10 series has improved recognition to unlock your phone even faster than before.That’s why fingerprint security on Galaxy phones is so safe and secure.
However, depending on which type of S10 you have, the fingerprint scanner may be a little different.
The Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor is supported on Galaxy S10 and S10+ only. Galaxy S10e is equipped with Side Fingerprint Sensor (non-ultrasonic).
There are optical and ultrasonic methods for the front fingerprint scanning method.
• Ultrasonic method: The ultrasonic wave is transmitted through the display and the received ultrasonic pulse is used to capture the uniqueness of the fingerprint
• Optical method: There is a visibility issue for sensors and it can result in low recognition rates due to noise in strong sunlight.
Samsung applied ultrasonic method on Galaxy S10+/S10 to ensure security and offer convenient usability. The ultrasonic method has the highest outdoors recognition rate and performs well in low temperature conditions.
The use of the on-screen fingerprint is possible even after attaching the Samsung-certified protection film.
However Samsung cannot guarantee the comparability with third-party products because the fingerprint performance may be affected depending on thickness and structure of display protection film.
We recommend to use below screen protector film.
• Only film types (not glass types) is possible
• Only for some products of 0.2mm or thinner
Samsung applied ultrasonic method on Galaxy S10+/S10 to ensure security and offer convenient usability.
The location and fingerprint scanning method of fingerprint sensor differ between S10 | S10+ | S10e.
• Galaxy S10+ | S10 : A built-in fingerprint recognition sensor at the bottom center of the screen
• Galaxy S10e : The Power key has a built-in fingerprint recognition sensor
When you scan fingerprints on the S10e/S10/S10+, be aware of the following common conditions that may affect the feature’s performance:
• The device may not recognize fingerprints that are affected by wrinkles or scars.
• The device may not recognize fingerprints from small or thin fingers.
• The device may not recognize fingerprints from too dry fingers. Especially your fingers can be more drier on situations like following. i.e ) When trying to use fingerprint after wake-up in the morning .
We recommend to let your finger be moist properly by using hand cream and try again.
• The device may not recognize fingerprints in too cold or too hot places.
• The device may not recognize fingerprints from wet fingers.
• To improve recognition performance, register fingerprints of the hand used most often to perform tasks on the device.
Tips for better fingerprint recognition on S10 | S10+ | S10e device
For Galaxy S10 | S10+
• Your device has a built-in fingerprint recognition sensor at the bottom center of the screen. Ensure that the screen protector or the touchscreen on the fingerprint recognition sensor area is not scratched or damaged by objects, such as coins, keys, pens, and necklaces. If protective film/screen protector is dirty or scratched, replace to new one and register your fingerprint again for better fingerprint recognition rate.
• Ensure that the fingerprint recognition sensor area at the bottom center of the screen and your fingers are clean and dry.
• If you bend your finger or use a fingertip, the device may not recognize your fingerprints. Press the screen so that your fingertip spreads over the wide surface of the fingerprint recognition area.
• Use only Samsung-approved accessories and you can purchase Samsung-Approved protective film from your local Samsung retailer or Authorized Samsung Service Center.
• Attach the screen protector/protective film clearly and tightly on device screen. Air gap or foreign substances between protective film and screen may decrease the fingerprint recognition rate. We recommend to attach again.
For Galaxy S10e
• The Power key has a built-in fingerprint recognition sensor.
• Covering the fingerprint recognition sensor with protective films, stickers, or other accessories may decrease the fingerprint recognition rate. If the fingerprint recognition sensor is initially covered with a protective film, remove it before using the fingerprint recognition sensor.
• Ensure that the fingerprint recognition sensor and your fingers are clean and dry.
• If you bend your finger or use a fingertip, the device may not recognize your fingerprints. Make sure to cover the entire fingerprint recognition sensor with your finger.
• In dry environments, static electricity can build up in the device. Avoid using this feature in dry environments or before using the feature, discharge static electricity by touching a metal object.
The background for removing the IRIS sensor is following :
① Secure the completeness of design (Bezel-less, full front design)
② Improve the usability of the large screen on the compact size (19:9 screen ratio)
③ Simplify overlapping biometric authentication such as fingerprint, facial, and iris
Although iris is known to have the highest security level, the existing fingerprint method is enhanced with the 3D anti-spoofing performance by applying a machine learning*-based algorithm to the on-screen Fingerprint.