Galaxy Gear 2: How to launch an app by pressing the Power button twice?
Last updated: 10 April, 2014
Note: the images below are of the Gear 2 but the instructions apply identically for the Gear 2 Neo.
You can set your Gear 2 to launch a specific app when you double-press its power button. Before following the below steps to do so your Gear 2 must first be paired with your smartphone and your smartphone must have the Gear manager app installed.
If your smartphone isn't paired with your Gear 2 yet or your smartphone doesn't have the Gear manager app then please see the bottom section first to learn how to set up your devices.
Selecting an app that will launch on your Gear 2 when you double-press the Power button
1. On your smartphone tap Apps.
2. Tap Gear Manager.
3. Tap Settings.
4. Tap Double pressing power key.
5. Select the app you wish to use from the list of available apps, such as Gallery. This app will now launch on your Gear 2 when you double-press the power button.
Connecting your Gear 2 to your smartphone
This section of the guide covers connecting your Gear 2 with your smartphone and installing the Gear manager app.
Turn on your Gear 2
1. Press and hold the Power button on your Gear 2 for a few seconds to turn the Gear 2 on.
Connect your Galaxy Gear 2 to the internet
Note: the steps below concern connecting your Gear 2 to a Wi-Fi network. A 3G or 4G connection will also suffice, but please be aware that your mobile network may charge you for use of 3G or 4G if such use is not already covered by your monthly fee.
2. On your smartphone's Home screen touch Apps.
3. Touch Settings.
4. Touch Wi-Fi.
5. Touch the slider in the top-right of the screen if it isn't in the on position.
6. Touch the name of your Wi-Fi network in the list to connect to it (if you're not already connected).
Install the Samsung Gear Manager
7. From the Home screen of your smartphone touch Apps.
8. Touch Samsung Apps (you may need to swipe left or right first to locate it).
9. Search for "Samsung Gear Manager" and touch Samsung Gear Manager in the results.
10. Touch Download and then open the app once it has downloaded.
Pair your Gear 2 with your smartphone through the Gear Manager app
11. If a disclaimer message appears on opening Gear Manager scroll to the bottom and then touch Accept.
12. Gear Manager will begin searching for Bluetooth devices. Check your Gear 2 for its name and then touch that name in the list of available devices in the Gear Manager app.
13. Touch OK in the Bluetooth pairing request message box.
14. Touch Accept on your Gear 2.
15. Touch all the check boxes in the End User Licence Agreement to mark them with ticks and then touch Finish. (You do not need to check the 'Yes' radio button, but doing so will enable the app to send Samsung error log data and, by extension, help Samsung improve your Gear 2 and everyone else's).
Confirm the pairing was successful
16. Scroll down in Gear Manager and touch Find my Gear.
17. Touch Start.
18. Your Gear 2 will ring. Touch Stop in Gear Manager to cease your device's search for your Gear 2.
Need help? Contact Us for Support.
Call Support 24/7
#GALAXY (just dial #425299)
[PLDT, Smart & Sun Toll Free]
1-800-8-726-7777 [Globe Toll Free]
(02) 422-2177 [Standard Landline]
1-800-10-726-7864 [PLDT Toll Free]
1-800-8-726-7864 [Globe Toll Free]
(02) 422-2111 [Standard Landline]
* For Toll Free numbers, just directly dial 1-800 followed by the network number.