How water-resistant and dust-resistant is my Galaxy S5?
Last updated: 29 April, 2014
The Galaxy S5 is rated IP67, using the Ingress Protection rating system. The dust rating is 6 (the highest level of protection), and the water resistance rating is 7 (water-resistant up to 1 metre for up to 30 minutes). Your device is only resistant to water and dust when the compartments are closed tightly. Follow the below steps to seal all the compartments properly.
- Position the battery cover over the battery compartment and securely press down around the edges until you hear clicking. Press down all the way around the outside of the cover to create a tight seal.
Note: the device is water-resistant and dustproof at an IP67 rating, which tests submersion up to 1 metre for up to 30 minutes. The device is not shockproof. Covers must be tightly closed.
Important! Before closing the cover check to see if there are any foreign substances, such as dust or sand, between the rubber on the back of the cover and the sealing area.
- To avoid water damage ensure that the back cover is completely closed by pressing just below the LED flash.
Warning! When replacing the battery cover do not apply pressure to the screen as this can damage the screen. Be careful not to damage or detach the USB cover. A damaged or missing cover can result in water damage to the device.
Follow these tips carefully to prevent damage to the device:
- Whenever your device gets wet dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth.
- Do not expose the device to salt water or ionized water and do not submerge the device in water more than 1 meter deep for more than 30 minutes. If your device is exposed to salt water, wash the device with fresh water and then dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. Otherwise when it dries salt may accumulate and block the primary microphone, earpiece and/or external speaker.
- When drying off your device be sure to pat the earpiece (top front of the device), primary microphone (bottom of device), and external speaker (back of device) with a clean, soft cloth to remove as much water as possible.
- When making a call immediately after your device is wet the microphone may have water in it, which may lower the volume of your voice for the listener. After drying off the device allow the device to air-dry before making a call.
- The back cover and power/accessory interface connector cover may be loosened slightly if the device is dropped or receives an impact. Ensure that all the covers are properly aligned and tightly closed or they may not provide protection from water and dust.
- Always keep the power/accessory interface connector cover clean and be careful to avoid damaging it.
Note: the touchscreen may not be active in water.
Thank you for your feedback!
Need help? Contact Us for Support.
Just Dial #GALAXY (#425299)
[Free call to all networks]
(02) 422-2177 [Standard Landline]
1-800-10-726-7864 [PLDT Toll Free]
1-800-8-726-7864 [Globe Toll Free]
(02) 422-2111 [Standard Landline]
Available from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
* For Toll Free numbers, just directly dial 1-800 followed by the network number.