What is 3D V-NAND and how does it differ from existing technology?
Samsung’s unique and innovative 3D V-NAND flash memory architecture is a breakthrough in overcoming the density limitations, performance and endurance of today’s conventional planar NAND architecture. 3D V-NAND stacks 32 cell layers vertically over one another rather than decreasing cell dimensions and trying to fit itself onto a fixed horizontal space. As a result, the technology provides higher density and better performance utilizing a smaller footprint.
Optimize computing with TurboWrite technology for unrivalled read/write speeds
Achieve ultimate read/write performance to maximize your everyday computing experience with Samsung’s TurboWrite technology. Compared to the 840 EVO, the 850 EVO shows an increased overall user experience of approximately 13%*, partly thanks to the now 2x faster random write speeds** The 850 EVO delivers top-notch performance in its class, with sequential read and write speeds of 540MB/s and 520MB/s, respectively. Enjoy optimized random performance in all Queue Depths (QD) for client PC usage scenarios.
* PCmark7 (250GB): 6700 (840 EVO) < 7600 (850 EVO)
** Random Write (QD32,120GB) : 36,000 IOPS (840 EVO) < 88,000 IOPS (850 EVO)
Increase memory storage with RAPID mode
The Samsung 850 EVO mSATA is a speed machine. With the latest Samsung Magician software, you can activate the RAPID mode to tap unused PC memory (DRAM) and use it as cache storage up to 25% of the total DRAM capacity. With the dramatic increase in storage, data processing speeds and random QD can be up to 2x faster* under the RAPID mode.
* PCMARK7 RAW (250GB): 7500 < 15000 (RAPID mode)
**Performance and technical specifications based on 2.5” SSD model
Endurance and reliability bolstered by 3D V-NAND technology
The 850 EVO delivers guaranteed endurance and reliability by doubling the Total Bytes Written (TBW) compared to the previous generation of 840 EVO* along with an industry-leading 5 year warranty. Through improving performance by up to 30%, the 850 EVO allows sustained performance** making it one of the most dependable storage solutions. .
* TBW: 43 (840 EVO) < 75 (850 EVO 120/250GB), 150 (850 EVO 500/1TB)
** Sustained Performance (250GB) : 3300 IOPS (840 EVO) < 6500 IOPS (850 EVO), Performance measured after 12 hours “Random Write” test
Energy efficiency backed by 3D V-NAND
The 850 EVO introduced the 2mW device sleep mode feature in the 840 EVO, and now the 850 EVO is introducing cutting-edge 3D V-NAND Technology (which consumes 50% less energy than Planar 2D NAND), giving you 25% more power efficiency during write operations*.
* Power (250GB): 3.2 Watt (840 EVO) > 2.4 Watt (850 EVO)
* The logo is awarded by Samsung.
Flexible form factor for use in different types of devices
The versatile 850 EVO mSATA has you covered no matter which connector type or physical slot size your device supports, making it perfect for today’s desktops, laptops, and especially ultra-thin space-constrained tablet PCs.
The 850 EVO comes fortified with the latest hardware-based full disk encryption engine. The AES 256-bit encryption and TCG Opal 2.0 encryption secure data without any performance degradation. It is also compatible with IEEE-1667 for Microsoft’s eDrive so that your data is protected at all times for your peace of mind.
The 850 EVO Dynamic Thermal Guard feature constantly and automatically monitors and maintains the ideal temperature for the drive to operate optimally.
With the One-Stop Install Navigator, Samsung Data Migration and Magician software are installed simultaneously for your convenience to ensure that your SSD’s settings are optimized for efficient data transfer.
As the industry SSD leader, Samsung is uniquely positioned to design, develop and manufacturer exclusively in house, resulting in a seamlessly integrated and fully optimized solution for enhanced performance and eliminating the risk of component compatibility errors.
- Application Client PCs
- Capacity 500 GB (1GB=1 Billionbyte by IDEMA) * Actual usable capacity may be less (due to formatting, partitioning, operating system, applications or otherwise)
- Form Factor mSATA
- Interface SATA 6Gb/s Interface, compatible with SATA 3Gb/s & SATA 1.5Gb/s interface
- Dimension (WxHxD) (29.85±0.15) x (50.80±0.15) x Max 3.85 mm
- Weight Max. 8.3 g
- Storage Memory Samsung V-NAND
- Controller Samsung MGX Controller
- Cache Memory Samsung 512 MB Low Power DDR3
- TRIM Support TRIM Supported
- S.M.A.R.T Support S.M.A.R.T Supported
- GC (Garbage Collection) Auto Garbage Collection Algorithm
- Encryption Support AES 256 bit Encryption (Class 0), TCG/Opal, IEEE1667 (Encrypted drive)
- WWN Support World Wide Name supported
- Device Sleep Mode Support Yes
- Sequential Read Up to 540 MB/sec Sequential Read * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Sequential Write Up to 520 MB/sec Sequential Write * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Random Read (4KB, QD32) Up to 97,000 IOPS Random Read * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Random Write (4KB, QD32) Up to 88,000 IOPS Random Write * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Random Read (4KB, QD1) Up to 10,000 IOPS Random Read * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Random Write (4KB, QD1) Up to 40,000 IOPS Random Write * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Average Power Consumption (system level) *Average: 3.3 W *Maximum: 4.8 W (Burst mode) *Actual power consumption may vary depending on system hardware & configuration
- Power consumption (Idle) Max. 50 mW * Actual power consumption may vary depending on system hardware & configuration
- Allowable Voltage 3.3V ± 5% Allowable voltage
- Reliability (MTBF) 1.5 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF)
- Operating Temperature 0 - 70 ℃ Operating Temperature
- Shock 1,500G & 0.5ms (Half sine)
- Installation Kit Not Available
- Management SW Magician Software for SSD management
- 5 Years Limited Warranty or 150 TBW Limited Warranty
*Images are for illustration purposes only.
*Features and Specifications are accurate at time of launch and are subject to change without prior notification.
SSD 850 EVO mSATA III 500 GB (MZ-M5E500BW)
2018.06.27Magician Software Open Source Announcement ver 1.0
2018.06.27Magician Software ver 5.2
2018.06.27Magician Software User Manual ver 5.2
2018.05.30Data Migration Tool User Manual ver 3.1
2018.05.30Data Migration Tool ver 3.1