Using the Fingerprint Scanner on Your Galaxy Tab S
Use Fingerprint recognition as an alternative security method to entering passwords. Your device can be set to recognize your fingerprint for added device security and utilize it for verification. In order for fingerprint recognition to function, your fingerprint information needs to be registered and stored in your device.
Tips for Better Fingerprint Recognition
When you scan your fingerprints on the device, be aware of the following conditions that may affect the feature’s performance:
- The home button contains a fingerprint recognition sensor. Ensure that the home button is not scratched or damaged by metal objects, such as coins, keys, and jewelry.
- The screen protector supplied with the device may cause the fingerprint recognition sensor to malfunction. Remove the screen protector to improve fingerprint sensitivity.
- Ensure that the fingerprint recognition area and your finger is clean and dry.
- The device may not recognize fingerprints that are affected by wrinkles or scars.
- The device may not recognize fingerprints from small or thin finger.
- To improve recognition performance, register fingerprints of the hand used most often to perform tasks on the device.
- Do not drag your finger too quickly or slowly. Drag your finger at a moderate speed to allow the device to recognize it.
The device will notify you if a change in speed is necessary.
- In dry environments, static electricity can build up in the device. Avoid using this feature in dry environments or before using the feature, discharge static electricity by touching a metal object.
Wi-Fi Status Indicator
The following icon shows your Wi-Fi connection status at a glance:
|Displays when Wi-Fi is connected, active, and communicating with a Wireless Access Point (WAP).|
Delete Registered Fingerprint
You can delete or rename your registered fingerprints.
To delete a registered fingerprint, follow the steps below:
- From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > DEVICE tab > Finger Scanner > Fingerprint manager.
- Scan a registered fingerprint or touch Backup password to enter the current backup password and then touch DONE.
- To delete fingerprint(s), touch More Options > Deregister.
- Select fingerprint(s) and then tap DONE.
- Touch OK to Deregister fingerprint.
- Touch and hold the one you want to edit.
- Touch Edit , enter a new name, and touch OK.
To rename a fingerprint, follow the steps below:
Changing the Backup Password
You can change the password that you use as an alternative to scanning your fingerprint.
- From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > DEVICE tab > Finger Scanner > Change backup password.
- Scan a registered fingerprint or touch Backup password .
- Enter a new password and touch CONTINUE.
- Enter the password again and touch OK to confirm the password change.
Set Fingerprints Lock Screen
Use fingerprint recognition to unlock the screen. This option provides medium to high security. Following features are available when Fingerprint is selected.
- Lock screen card: Display up-to-date information on your lock screen.
- Clock widget options: Set the size of the Clock widget that is displayed on your Home screens, and whether to show the date.
- Owner Information: Show owner information on the lock screen.
- Lock automatically: Set how quickly to lock the screen after the screen automatically turns off.
- Lock instantly with power key: Use this option to enable the lock screen when the power key is pressed. If this option is not enabled, the screen dims or brightens when the power key is pressed.
To enable Fingerprint lock screen, follow the instructions below.
- From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > DEVICE tab > Finger Scanner.
- Touch Screen lock.
If you previously set a password or registered a fingerprint, you may be prompted to swipe fingerprint or enter unlock password.
- Touch Fingerprint.
Alternatively, you may also select the screen lock type from the Lock screen setting's page.
- From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > DEVICE tab > Lock screen .
- Touch Screen lock > Fingerprint.
Setup Fingerprints to verify Samsung Account Password
Use fingerprints to verify your Samsung account password. You can use a fingerprint instead of entering your password, for example, to purchase content from Samsung Apps.
- From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > DEVICE tab > Finger Scanner > Verify Samsung account.
- Touch the Off switch at the top right of the screen to switch it On.
- Enter your Samsung account password and touch CONFIRM.
Setup Fingerprints for Purchases via PayPal
This feature may not be available depending on the region or service provider.
You can make purchases by scanning your fingerprints.
- From the Home screen, touch Apps > Settings > DEVICE tab > Finger Scanner > Pay with PayPal.
- Mark the checkbox next to FIDO Ready™ support and PayPal.
- Touch INSTALL.
- Once the installation is complete, touch LINK PAYPAL ACCOUNT.
- Touch OK to link your fingerprint for faster login to your PayPal account, or touch Not Now.
- Enter the PayPal Account login information and touch Log In.
- Once you have read and reviewed the Terms and Condition, touch Agree.
- Swipe your finger to link your Fingerprint.
- Touch OK to finish.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.