Tips & Tricks: Securing your PC before Traveling
Whether you're traveling with a Laptop, Chromebook, or Tablet PC, the risks and defenses are basically the same. Because today's PCs are more powerful and can hold more information, the risks of having your data compromised are increasing. The good news is that it's not difficult or even expensive to protect your PC and the information on them.
- Lock your device - Set up the screen lock option on the device. There are multiple options available to lock the devices. The more secure options are utilizing an alphanumeric password or, if it is a feature, use Windows Hello. This is Windows 10's biometric authentication technology which supports facial recognition, fingerprint, or iris scanning.
- Keep the software up to date - Most manufacturers release regular software updates to improve many features of the software on the device. This often includes security updates to keep your information safe. Microsoft also provides Windows Updates to ensure that your Windows OS is always up to date.
- Avoid unsecured networks - Networks that do not require a password to connect are easy ways for someone to access your device and the information contained on it. Always connect to secure networks and when you are not connected to a network to the Wi-Fi feature off. This way it will not automatically connect to an unsecure network, it will also extend the battery life of the device.
- Keep it padded - Keeping your PC in an average backpack, book bag, or even just holding it under your arm is unsafe. Physical damage is the worse way of losing your data. Keep accessories and power cables in separate compartments of a laptop-specific carrying case to keep your PC scratch and dent free.
- Turn it off - Cramming your PC into a bag while on risks over heating. Even if the PC is in Sleep or Hibernate, heat is generated. Heat is the number one enemy and can shorten your computer's useful life, loosen components in the motherboard, or entirely destroy it.
Other answers that might help
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.