Phone Feels Too Warm or Hot
It’s normal for your phone to feel warm sometimes, and it usually isn’t a cause for concern. GPS navigation and other similar intensive functions may cause your phone to become warm. The following guide will provide you with more details on the most common reasons the phone gets warm.
If it is too hot to touch, discontinue using the phone. Do not attempt to charge or use the phone. Refrain from handling a damaged or leaking battery.
Normal Scenarios for the Phone to Feel Warm or Hot
It is normal for your phone to feel warm in the following situations:
- Streaming videos, playing games, or using GPS navigation
- Tethering or using it as a Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Exposure to extreme heat (i.e. being left in direct sunlight)
Tips to reduce heat:
- Pause or close any apps or videos until your phone cools down
- Untether your phone and disconnect/turn off Hotspot
- Keep your phone in an air conditioned room for a few hours
- Avoid poorly ventilated areas
Phone Becomes Hot When Charging
- Remove the device from any case or pouch and charge it on a hard surface to allow for proper ventilation
- Use a USB charging cable/adapter made by Samsung, not a third-party
- Check your USB connection for any corrosion or bent pins
Battery Feels Hot to the Touch
The battery might be overheating due to physical or liquid damage:
- To determine if the phone has experienced liquid damage, you can check the LDI (Liquid Damage Indicator) located inside the SIM Card Tray slot.
- LDI indicators should be solid white or white with visible pink/purple Xs. If the phone has been exposed to moisture, the LDI will be solid pink, purple, or red.
Phone is Warm When Connected to Wi-Fi
Poor signal strength will cause your phone to work harder to obtain a better connection. If you’re experiencing poor signal strenth, contact your service provider for further assistance.
How would you like to contact us?
Chat with us
Live Chat support with a Samsung product expert.
Help with your order
Send us your inquiry and we will respond within 24 hours.