Samsung Reinforces TV Leadership in Africa with New SUHD TVs, Smart TVs Powered by Tizen and New Audio Solutions
SUHD TV and expansive range of audio products opens a new era for immersive viewing and sound
ANTALYA, Turkey – February 20, 2015 – Samsung Electronics, the leader in Home Entertainment for nine consecutive years, today introduced an extensive range of SUHD TVs at its 2015 Samsung Forum in Antalya. The new TVs set a new standard in premium UHD (Ultra High Definition) content and elevate the viewing experience to new heights.
Samsung also showcased its expansive lineup of audio products, including Curved Soundbars and Omni-Directional 360 Audio, which complement and enhance the home entertainment experience with immersive and crystal clear sound.
“Our innovative heritage and spirit continue to push the boundaries of the home entertainment experience,” said HS Kim, President of Visual Display at Samsung Electronics. “Regardless of the content source, Samsung provides the leading picture in the industry and will continue to do so with our SUHD TVs. Consumers can trust that we are more committed than ever to consistently delivering a superior home entertainment experience for years to come.”
Samsung’s Premium “S” TV: The New SUHD TV
Samsung reserves the “S” identification for its most premium flagship products that signify a true leap forward in technology. As the leader in the TV industry, Samsung is excited to extend the prestigious “S” identification to its newest premium TV line, the SUHD TV. The SUHD TV is designed to excite all of the senses, with sensational picture, seamless interaction and stylish design.
Introducing Unmatched Picture Quality
Samsung SUHD TVs demonstrate groundbreaking advances in contrast, brightness, colour reproduction and detail to deliver a superior picture quality experience. They utilise proprietary, eco-friendly nano-crystal technology and include an intelligent SUHD re-mastering picture quality engine.
The SUHD TV’s nano-crystal transmits different colours of light depending on their size to produce the highest colour purity and light efficiency available today. This technology produces a wide range of more accurate colours, providing viewers with 64 times more colour expression than conventional TVs. The intelligent SUHD re-mastering engine optimises all content to match the colour and brightness reproduction of the SUHD TV. It automatically analyses the brightness of images to minimise additional power consumption, while also producing ultimate contrast levels, showcasing images with much darker blacks and an elevated level of brightness that’s more than 2.5 times brighter than conventional TVs.
By collaborating with 20th Century Fox, Samsung has optimised content to meet premium quality SUHD standards. This partnership allows for consumers to enjoy an unrivaled UHD viewing experience. Samsung partnered with the Fox Innovation Lab to re-master multiple scenes from its critically acclaimed film, “Life of Pi,” directed by Academy Award winner Ang Lee, specifically for the SUHD TV. The result is spectacular – generating more vivid colours and lifelike scenes.
Samsung is also working with leaders in the industry to promote the secure and steady growth of a comprehensive UHD ecosystem. In order to establish premium UHD quality standards, Samsung has announced the UHD Alliance - a coalition of companies united to set the bar for next generation video entertainment. The new body will implement standards that support innovation in video technologies, including 4K and higher resolutions, high dynamic range, wider colour gamut and immersive 3D audio.
Furthermore, Samsung’s SUHD TVs use environmentally friendly technology to deliver best-in-class energy efficiency and reliability.
Samsung will offer three new series of SUHD TVs - JS9500, JS9000 and JS8000 - from 48-inches to 88-inches, so consumers have the flexibility to purchase the perfect TV that fits their style and taste.
Sophisticated and Improved Curved Designs
When Samsung introduced the curved form-factor in 2013, it dramatically enhanced the home entertainment experience. Taking cues from contemporary art and architecture, Samsung’s TVs were designed and enhanced with many modern and minimalist highlights.
The newly announced Samsung SUHD TV JS9500 features a Grand Chamfer bezel design, adding more depth to the TV screen and the elegant frame makes the display look like a piece of art when mounted on the wall. The SUHD TV JS9000 also has a soft, textured shirring design on the rear of the display, giving the TV a premium look and stylish edge when viewed from any angle.
With the increase in consumer demand for Curved TVs, Samsung will continue to add new models to its product portfolio to complement every unique viewing environment.
New Smart TV Redefines the Future Entertainment Experience
As of this year, all of Samsung’s Smart TVs, including the new SUHD TV, will be powered by Tizen, an open-source platform that supports web standards for TV app development. With Tizen, Samsung’s new Smart TV platform not only has a multitude of new features, but also a more intuitive UI, more integrated entertainment experience, and more ways to access content than ever before.
- The new user interface for Samsung’s Smart Hub is more responsive and playful. The hub displays the most recently viewed content, so you can pick up right where you left off and it also gives users tailored recommendations for even more entertainment options.
- With Quick Connect, Samsung Smart TVs automatically recognise Samsung smartphones once paired via BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) technology. Consumers can share video content from their Samsung smartphone to their Smart TV with the press of a button. Users can also watch TV from their mobile devices without any apps or complicated pre-settings.
- To address the needs of consumers in Africa, Samsung has partnered with eNCA to provide users with convenient access to Africa’s news and weather. To further showcase its commitment to diverse entertainment options, Samsung is working with SuperSport to give users access to sports highlights, live scores and player information across Africa. Samsung also offers ONTV, a premium lifestyle application for South Africa, which provides a variety of content, including magazines, vehicle and travel information and recipes in video format, sponsored by Raj and Robertson’s spices.
- Samsung, in partnership with Times Media Group, will launch VIDI, which gives Smart TV users in South Africa access to the latest Hollywood blockbuster movies and popular TV series. Samsung has also partnered with Vonetize to launch Aflix, which offers access to top Hollywood movies, television series and other video entertainment to African consumers in 30 countries across the continent.
- Samsung Smart TV owners can wake-up a bit easier with Briefing on TV. Samsung Smart TVs now act as an alarm and sync up with Samsung mobile devices to turn on and display important items such as the time, weather and consumers’ schedules.
- Samsung’s platform powered by Tizen allows Samsung Smart TVs to become part of a much larger content ecosystem, allowing easy collaboration with a number of partners for ultimate flexibility and unparalleled access.
- With all Samsung TVs poised to become Internet of Things devices by 2017, Tizen’s compatibility with other devices establishes Samsung’s Smart TVs as the control centre of any Smart Home.
Samsung Showcases Commitment to Features for Africa
To meet the needs of consumers in Africa, Samsung is introducing a number of features, tailored to match the lifestyles of users in the region.
Samsung is offering African Cinema Mode, which provides an optimised viewing experience for enjoying African cinematic content. Samsung TVs will produce vivid and clear pictures with true-to-life colours; crisp sound to ensure optimal voice clarity; an optimised screen size that’s tailored for larger displays; and Samsung’s remote controls will feature a hot key for the feature.
In addition, users will be able to enjoy More TV Plus, which further enhances the overall viewing experience. Maintaining last year’s features, More TV Plus allows consumers to transfer content easily and capture screen and sound clips of their favourite TV moments. The feature now also has Review, which records TV programs by capturing still images every 5 seconds with full audio. Therefore consumers can watch their missed TV program by playing an audio slide show.
Further elevating the viewing experience, Samsung will offer Ultra Clean View, which is designed to bring consumers clear and improved picture regardless of low quality input of external sources such as cable, decoder, etc. By activating Ultra Clean View, Samsung TVs will analyse the resolution of original content, enhancing details throughout and reducing noise with an optimal algorithm setting to match the best resolution. This ensures that consumers have the clear, crisp picture quality they have come to expect from Samsung TVs.
Samsung Curved Soundbar – Curved Design to Surround Your Senses
Samsung’s expanded Curved Soundbar line-up features a sleek, clean design that complements Samsung’s Curved TVs from 48-inches to 78-inches, providing an immersive listening experience, whether it be wall or TV mounted.
The newly-introduced HW-J8500 model offers an enhanced sound experience with 9.1 channel audio, featuring a centre speaker and side speakers on either end. These have been added to further intensify the immersive experience by delivering a more equalised surround-sound experience.
With the inclusion of its patented Multi-Air Gap speaker unit in the subwoofer, the Soundbar features a deeper, richer bass than conventional audio offerings. It also allows users to stream music through its multi-room functionality and has a wireless connection to the TV through TV SoundConnect via Bluetooth.
Samsung Omni-directional 360 Audio – A New Era in Premium Sound
Developed in Samsung’s new state-of-the-art Audio Lab in California, the WAM7500 and WAM6500 speakers are designed with style and elegance to harmonise any home interior. The speakers provide rich-bodied sound, and unlike conventional speakers that project sound in a single direction, these fill the entire room with equal and balanced sound at any position.
To create a truly unique offering, Samsung incorporated its proprietary ring radiator technology, which allows sound to flow in a 360-degree radius, producing the perfect balance between treble and bass.
The WAM7500 and WAM6500 also feature a simple and hassle free setup with plug-and-play installation. Users simply connect the speaker to a router and plug the unit in.
* Features and functions will vary by market.
* All functions, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities are subject to change without notice or obligation.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies, redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, cameras, digital appliances, printers, medical equipment, network systems, and semiconductor and LED solutions. We are also leading in the Internet of Things space through, among others, our Smart Home and Digital Health initiatives. We employ 307,000 people across 84 countries with annual sales of US $196 billion. To discover more, please visit our official website at www.samsung.com and our official blog at global.samsungtomorrow.com
For further information, please contact:
011 784 4790
079 021 5006
Samsung Electronics South Africa
011 549 1627
082 553 2302