This website is operated in the United Kingdom by or on behalf of Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited, a company incorporated in England. Our registered company number is 3086621. Our registered office is at Samsung House, 1000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0PS. This policy applies to information about you which is collected and used by us, which includes the Samsung Electronics group of companies, or by any other company under the Samsung brand (“Samsung Group Companies”). A full list of Samsung Group Companies is available upon request.
This policy sets out how we use and protect any information about you that you give to us through your use of this website. If you have any questions or comments in relation to this policy, please contact our customer services department at email@example.com or telephone on 0818-717100 before using this website. This policy was last updated on 12th June 2009.
We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You are advised to check it from time to time in order to ensure that you are aware of any changes any that they are acceptable to you.
In general, you can use this website without giving us any information. However, on certain pages we will request information about you. We would only be able to provide you with our products and services (such as our after sales service) through this website if we have certain information about you.
The information that we collect is as set out on the relevant pages of this website and may include:
- your name and contact information, including postal and email address, job title (in the event that you are using this website on behalf of your employer), fax and telephone number(s);
- your billing information, transaction and credit or debit card information;
- your age and gender, your personal or professional interests, demographics and experiences with our products and/or services
Some of the information that we collect will be ‘Personal Data.’ This means data related to you and which identifies you. Unless otherwise indicated, we will not collect ‘Sensitive Personal Data’ from you. This includes information about your race, political opinions, health, religious and other beliefs or sexual orientation.
In this policy we use the terms ‘Personal Data’ and ‘information about you’ interchangeably.
We may use information about you for any of the following purposes:
- to register you on our website and to administer our website services (including processing any searches or requests for information about us, our products or services);
- for assessment and analysis of our market, customers, products and services (including asking you for your opinions on our products and services and carrying out customer surveys);
- to enable us to monitor, review and improve the products and services which we offer;
- for internal record keeping;
- (subject to the direct marketing section below) for marketing purposes;
- to enable us to fulfil our obligations under any contract with you (including any sale to you of our products or services) and as part of our customer care procedures related to any such contract;
- to conduct free prize draws, prize competitions, or promotions; and
- to consider employing you if you have provided information pursuant to an application for a job in our company or a Samsung Group Company.
All of the above apply equally to the use of information about you for such purposes by a Samsung Group Company.
We collect information about you using various methods including:
- when you submit it through this website; and
- when you telephone us or correspond with us by means other than through this website.
We may combine information that we collect about you through this website with information that you provide to us by other means, or that is provided to us by third parties. We may store that information together in a combined database or in separate databases.
We will not retain information about you for longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was intended, or as required under any contract or by law.
We will not collect an excessive amount of information from you nor information that is not relevant to the purposes for it was collected.
We may automatically collect technical information from which you cannot be identified when you connect to this website. An example is the domain name of another website from which you linked to this website. We collect this information to help us with identifying this website user’s browsing preferences. The information is used for internal purposes only so that we can carry out research on the your demographics, behaviour and interests. Anonymous or generic information from which you cannot be personally identified is not Personal Data and is therefore outside the scope of this policy.
We encourage all parents and guardians to instruct their children in the safe and responsible use of their Personal Data whilst using the internet. We will not (through our website or otherwise) intentionally collect information which relates to or which originates from a child unless we have the consent of the child’s parent or guardian. If we become aware that a user of our website is a child who is using this website without the consent of his parent or guardian we will use reasonable endeavours to delete as soon as possible any information submitted by that child and to ensure that such information is not transferred to anyone else nor used by us (for direct marketing or otherwise). Please tell us as soon as you become aware that a child has submitted information about himself through our website without the consent of his parent or guardian. You can contact us in the ways outlined at the beginning of this policy.
We will not disclose to any third parties Personal Data which relates to you without your consent, except:
- to a Samsung Group Company;
- where it is necessary to enable any of our staff, employees, agents, contractors, suppliers or commercial partners to provide a service to us or to perform a function on our behalf (including fulfilling orders for products or services purchased through this website; processing debit or credit card payments related to the same; providing marketing assistance, market research or customer services; and administering any accounts, supplying products or services that we provide to you now or in the future, or any free prize draws, prize competitions or promotions);
- where we consider disclosure of your information to other businesses, financial organisations or law enforcement agencies to be necessary or desirable with a view to the prevention or detection of fraud;
- to our professional advisers;
- to the purchaser or potential purchaser of our business;
- where it is necessary in order to pursue our legitimate interests; or
- if we are required to or are permitted to by law.
Any disclosure of your Personal Data by us to a carefully selected third party or to any third party on the above list, we will comply with data protection law by ensuring that there are contractual provisions in place to ensure that the third party:
- does not use your Personal Data for any purpose other than purposes that we specify and in accordance with the purposes outlined in this policy, and
- has appropriate security provisions in place in order to guard against unauthorised or unlawful processing of your Personal Data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your Personal Data.
If we disclose your Personal Data to a Samsung Group Company or a third party which is outside the European Economic Area, we will not do so until we have taken steps to ensure that your Personal Data will be afforded the same level of protection as that required from us by data protection law.
We will take all reasonable precautions to ensure that our staff and employees who have access to information about you have received adequate training to ensure that they process that information only in accordance with this policy and with our obligations under data protection law. We may take disciplinary action against our staff and employees in the event of non-compliance, should we consider this to be appropriate.
1. Direct marketing
We may use information about you which we hold in order to provide you with information about products, promotions, special offers and other information which relates to our products or services or which we believe may be of interest to you.
We may send you such information by:
- telephone (including automated calls which means a call which delivers a pre-recorded message with marketing content to your telephone);
- SMS text message and/or any other form of electronic messages (including MMS, picture messages, video messages; instant messages and next generation messages);
- smartphone applications; social networking websites; Web 2.0; any mobile telephone media content not referred to elsewhere in this list or
- any other method which becomes relevant from time to time.
2. Your direct marketing preferences
When you provide us with information about yourself, you will usually be given the option to let us know that you do not want that information to be used for direct marketing purposes whether by ourselves or by any third party (including our commercial partners). We will only use that information for the purpose of direct marketing in accordance with your preferences (or where we are otherwise permitted to do so by law). Where your consent is required, we will usually ask for it by asking to you tick an "opt-in" box on the pages of this website where we ask for information about you. The "opt-in" box may or may not be split between different classes of information or different means of marketing.
By 'preferences' we mean whether or not you have "opted in" and as such whether we can or cannot send direct marketing to you.
You can change your mind about your preferences (as defined above) in respect of direct marketing by contacting our European Data Privacy Officer at Samsung House, 1000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0PS or online at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can do this at any time. In addition, if you receive direct marketing from us by email or by SMS message, you will be reminded in the email or SMS message that you are able to request a change to your preferences by yourself. If you do change your mind about your preferences, we would not remove your Personal Data from our data base(s) but we would note your changed preferences as soon as reasonably possible.
Under data protection law you have the right to request details of Personal Data which we hold about you. We will comply with your request promptly and by no later than 40 days from receipt of any such request. If you would like to make any such request please write to our European Data Privacy Officer at Samsung House, 1000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0PS or online at email@example.com.
Please help us to ensure that the information about you that we hold is accurate and up to date. If you think that any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to our European Data Privacy Officer in the manner set out above. We will correct or update any information about you as soon as reasonably possible.
We only request and use information absolutely essential to respond to your requests for information on our products or services and to inform you of services we think may be of interest to you. Our site uses your IP address (an IP address identifies the type of browser you are using i.e. Netscape; Internet Explorer by assigning a unique number) for general system administration to serve you better by diagnosing problems with our server.
We protect the security of your information by:
- using encryption where appropriate;
- using password protection where appropriate; and
- limiting access to your information (for example, only our staff or employees who need access to it for the purposes described above will have access to it).
Please help us to keep your information secure by not using an obvious login name or password, by changing your password regularly and ensuring that you do not divulge your password to any other person.
This website may link to other websites which are outside our control, and other websites outside our control may link to this website. Whilst we try to ensure that we link only to websites which share our privacy and security standards, once you have left this website we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide on other websites. You should exercise caution and review the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
You may configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. For example, on Microsoft Internet Explorer, you can disable or delete cookies by selecting "Tools/Internet Options" and reviewing your privacy settings or selecting "delete cookies". Please note however that this website is designed to work using cookies and any disabling of them may affect your usage of this website and prevent you from taking full advantage of it.
This website and the communications generated from using and/or registering on this website, such as promotional emails, may contain electronic images known as "web beacons". Web beacons generally work in conjunction with cookies, and we may use them with cookies to (for example):
- count the number of visitors to this website;
- see whether you have acted on an email or clicked on a link, for example where this is a condition of entering a competition;
- find out how successful a specific marketing campaign or a competition has been;
- establish interest levels for particular items or aspects of this website or particular products and services available on this website;
- assess whether advertisements or competitions result in sales; or
- understand how popular a product or service is, and how interest levels vary between particular Samsung products and services.