High-Speed, Energy-Efficient SSD Storage Solutions
Solid State Drive(SSD) is the next-generation storage device that has overcome the shortcomings of rotating media.
Formal rotating media has distinct disadvantage as storage devices due to their mechanical parts, such as motor and arm. These HDD mechanical parts cause performance and reliability to drop because the drive takes precious time to start up the motor and find data on the rotating platter. SSDs provide the following benefits over rotating media.
|High Performance based
on electrical operation
|Low Power Consumption based
on electrical power management
|High Reliability based on
no moving parts
|Low latency||Long battery time||High data integrity
(2M hours MTBF for Enterprise SSD)
|Fast Booting||Reduce cooling price||Storing safely data on mobile environment|
|Multi-Tasking||Better TCO (Total Cost of Ownership)||Multi-Tasking|
|Quick processing||Long lifetime|
The most important parts in this emerging product line is the NAND Flash and the controller which manages the input and output of data. Other major components are DRAM, which helps buffering during data input and output, and the firmware that drives an SSD. Not only vertically integrated, Samsung is also able to apply extensive know-how designing billions of NAND Flash, and DRAM components as well designing countless controllers and firmware.
- No. 1 M/S for NAND flash since 2003.
- Excellent infrastructure for higher quality performance.
- Long experience of qualifying memory with major OEMs.
- Industry-approved Samsung SSD technology - Samsung SSDs has been adopted by the highest number of OEMs.
- Provides a total in-house solution - NAND Flash, SSD Controller, Firmware, DRAM.
Samsung Thoroughly Understands the Nature of NAND
Overall SSD performance and reliability depend greatly on NAND
- Core competences in managing complexity of NAND.
- Complexity of NAND architectures grows with each change in design - rule technology (lithography) - Block size,ECC, cell technology, interface.
- Samsung expertise in NAND development allows us to produce extremely robust, highly advanced controllers.
SSD with NAND Flash – Component Overview
SSD vs. HDD - Side-by-Side Comparison
|2.5" SATA 6.0Gbps SSD||2.5" SATA 6.0Gbps HDD|
|Mechanism type||Solid NAND Flash-based||Magnetic Rotating Platters|
|Performance||Read : 520MB/s, Write : 400MB/s||Read: 59MB/s, Write: 60MB/s|
Some key features in Samsung flash modules include:
|Samsung SM1625||Samsung SM843T||Samsung SM843|
|Form factor||2.5 inches||2.5 inches||2.5 inches|
|Capacity||100GB, 200GB, 400GB, 800GB||120GB, 240GB, 480GB, 960GB||120GB, 240GB, 480GB|
|Host interface||SAS 2.0 - 6Gb/s||SATA 3.0 - 6Gb/s||SATA 3.0 - 6Gb/s|
|Mean time||2.0 million hours||2.0 million hours||2.0 million hours|
|Uncorrectable bit||1 in 1017||1 in 1017||1 in 1017|
|Power||Active Read :6.0W
Active Write :9.0W
|Active Read : 2.7W
Active Write : 3.4W
|Active Read : 2.7W
Active Write : 3.4W
|Consumption||Idle: 4.0W||Idle: 0.3W||Idle: 0.3W|
|Cache power protection||Yes||Yes||No|
|Sequential R/W(MB/s)||950 / 600||500 / 370||530 / 420|
|Random R/W(IOPs)||80,000 / 38,000||98,000 / 15,000||70,000 / 11,500|
|Physical dimensions||100mm x 69.85mm x 15mm||100mm x 69.85mm x 7mm||100mm x 69.85mm x 7mm|
* Measured the highest density product at the most severe condition(100% 4KB Random Write).
Benefits of using Samsung SSDs include:
- Greater reliability due to no moving parts from the “solid-state” nature of the drives
- Equal (and gradually increasing) storage capacities offered (as compared to conventional HDDs) due to advancing semiconductor technologies
- Less power consumption, both in active and idle modes, making SSDs ideal for portable, battery-powered devices
- Reduced costs for cooling due to use of controllers with built-in power management capabilities
- Small sizes and lighter weights
- Increasingly faster read and write operations compared to HDDs, ideal for devices running multi-tasking applications.
- Variety of available interfaces for connecting to various types of host devices
- Available in both standard and extended temperature variants
- Greater durability due to very high shock and vibration tolerances
- Greater system reliability due to very high MTBFs