At Samsung Electronics, we put our top priority on protecting your personal information.
Fully acknowledging the fact that your personal information belongs to you, we do our best to securely store and carefully process the information you share with us.
We place our highest value on your trust. We hence collect a minimal amount of information only with your permission and use it solely for its intended purposes. We do not provide the information to third parties without your knowledge.
We at Samsung Electronics devote best efforts to ensure your data protection including technical data security and internal management procedures as well as physical data protection measures. Particularly, we’ve developed a strong encryption technology based on Samsung Knox. We’ve applied Samsung Knox across our systems and products, differentiating ourselves from others.
We strive to improve your lives by offering inspiring and fascinating digital experiences. In order to do so, your trust is paramount and thus, we will do our best to protect your personal information.
Thank you for your continued interest and support.
We collect various types of information in connection with the Services, including:
- Information you provide directly to us;
- Information we collect about your use of our Services; and
- Information we obtain from third-party sources.
We use the information we collect to, among other things:
- Provide the Services you request;
- Understand the way you use the Services so that we can improve your experience;
- Provide customised content and advertising; and
- Otherwise with your consent.
We may share your information with:
- Affiliates – the Samsung family of companies.
- Business partners – trusted companies that may provide information about products and services you might like.
- Service providers – companies that provide services for or on behalf of Samsung.
- Law enforcement – when we are required to do so or to protect Samsung and its users.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
129 Samsung-Ro, Maetan-3dong, Yeongtong-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
Email: through the “Contact Us” section of http://help.content.samsung.com.
Information you provide directly
Some Services enable you to give us information directly. For example:
- A number of our Services enable users to create accounts or profiles. In connection with these Services, we may ask you to provide certain information about yourself to set up the account or profile. For example, you can submit certain information about yourself, such as your name and email address, when you create a Samsung account.
- If you order a product or paid service from us, we may ask for your name, contact information, shipping and billing address(es), and credit card information in order to process your order.
- Some of our Services enable you to communicate with other people. Those communications will be transmitted through our systems.
Information about your use of the Services
In addition to the information you provide, we may collect information about your use of our Services through software on your device and other means. For example, we may collect:
- Device information - such as your hardware model, IMEI number and other unique device identifiers, MAC address, IP address, operating system versions, and settings of the device you use to access the Services.
- Log information - such as the time and duration of your use of the Service, search query terms you enter through the Services, and any information stored in cookies that we have set on your device.
- Location information - such as your device’s GPS signal or information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers that may be transmitted to us when you use certain Services.
- Voice information - such as recordings of your voice that we make (and may store on our servers) when you use voice commands to control a Service. (Note that if we work with a third-party service provider that provides speech-to-text conversion services on our behalf. This provider may receive and store certain voice commands.)
- Other information about your use of the Services, such as the apps you use, the websites you visit, and how you interact with content offered through a Service.
Information from third-party sources
We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources (as permitted by law), which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you. We also may receive information about you from third-party social networking services when you choose to connect with those services.
Other Information We Collect
We also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the services in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent.
You can choose not to provide us with certain types of information (e.g., information we request during Samsung account registration), but doing so may affect your ability to use some Services.
We may use information we collect for the following purposes:
- to register you or your device for a Service;
- to provide a Service or feature you request;
- to provide customised content and provide personalised services based on your past activities on our Services;
- for advertising, such as providing customised advertisements, sponsored content and sending you promotional communications;
- for assessment and analysis of our market, customers, products, and services (including asking you for your opinions on our products and services and carrying out customer surveys);
- to understand the way people use our Services so that we can improve them and develop new products and services;
- to provide maintenance services for your device;
- to conduct free prize draws, prize competitions, or promotions, as permitted by law; and
- otherwise with your consent.
TO WHOM DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION?
We will not disclose your information to third parties for their own independent marketing or business purposes without your consent. However, we may disclose your information to the following entities:
- Business Partners. We also may share your information with trusted business partners, including wireless carriers. These entities may use your information to provide you with services you request, make predictions about your interests and may provide you with promotional materials, advertisements and other materials.
- Service Providers. We also may disclose your information to companies that provide services for or on behalf of us, such as companies that help us with billing or that send emails on our behalf. These entities are limited in their ability to use your information for purposes other than providing services for us.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect Our Services. There may be instances when we disclose your information to other parties:
• to comply with the law or respond to compulsory legal process (such as a search warrant or other court order);
• to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our Services; and
• to protect the rights, property, or safety of Samsung, or any of our respective affiliates, business partners, or customers.
- Other Parties in Connection with Corporate Transactions. We may disclose your information to a third party as part of a merger or transfer, or in the event of a bankruptcy.
We offer a variety of choices about how we use your information. You can make choices about whether to receive promotional communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions included in the communication. In addition and often times, you can also make choices by changing your settings for specific Services or when we give you a just-in-time notice, or by visiting relevant webpages.
WHAT DO WE DO TO KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SECURE?
We have put in place reasonable physical and technical measures to safeguard the information we collect in connection with the Services. However, please note that although we take reasonable steps to protect your information, no website, Internet transmission, computer system or wireless connection is completely secure.
CONSENT TO INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER OF DATA
ACCESSING YOUR INFORMATION
Under the laws of some jurisdictions, you may have the right to request details about the information we collect and to correct inaccuracies in that information. Any further statutory user rights remain unaffected. If permitted by law, we may charge you a small fee for providing you with this ability. We may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. If you would like to make a request to access your information, please contact our customer service department at http://help.content.samsung.com.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that information about you is available only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is processed, or longer if required under any contract, by applicable law, or for statistical purposes, subject to appropriate safeguards.
THIRD-PARTY LINKS AND PRODUCTS ON OUR SERVICES
Our Services may link to third-party websites and services that are outside our control. We are not responsible for the security or privacy of any information collected by websites or other services. You should exercise caution, and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use.
We also may make available to you certain products or services (e.g., apps available through Samsung Apps) developed by third parties. Samsung is not responsible for these third-party products or services.
Third Parties that Provide Content, Advertising or Functionality on Our Services
Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. For example:
- We enable you to watch video content provided by content providers;
- Third parties develop apps that we make available through the Samsung App Store;
- Certain third parties may serve advertising or keep track of which advertisements users see, how often they see those advertisements, and what users do in response to them; and
- We enable you to share certain materials on the Services with others through social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter, Google +, and LinkedIn.
If you connect with a social networking service, we may receive and store authentication information from that service to enable you to log in, as well as other information that you allow us to receive when you connect with these services.
Also, please note that if you choose to connect with a social networking service on a device used by people in addition to you, those other users may be able to see information stored or displayed in connection with your account on the social networking service(s) with which you connect.
COOKIES, BEACONS AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone or other device. They enable the entity that put the cookie on your device to recognize you across different websites, services, devices, and/or browsing sessions. Cookies serve many useful purposes. For example:
- Cookies can remember your sign-in credentials so you don’t have to enter those credentials each time you log on to a service.
- Cookies help us and third parties understand which parts of our Services are the most popular because they help us to see which pages and features visitors are accessing and how much time they are spending on the pages. By studying this kind of information, we are better able to adapt the Services and provide you with a better experience.
- Cookies help us and third parties understand which ads you have seen so that you don’t receive the same ad each time you access a Service.
- Cookies help us and third parties provide you with relevant content and advertising by collecting information about your use of our Services and other websites and apps.
When you use a web browser to access the Services, you can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. The operating system of your device may contain additional controls for cookies.
Please note, however, that some Services may be designed to work using cookies and that disabling cookies may affect your ability to use those Services, or certain parts of them.
Other Local Storage
We, along with certain third parties, may use other kinds of local storage technologies, such as Local Shared Objects (also referred to as “Flash cookies”) and HTML5 local storage, in connection with our Services. These technologies are similar to the cookies discussed above in that they are stored on your device and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences. However, these technologies may make use of different parts of your device from standard cookies, and so you might not be able to control them using standard browser tools and settings. For information about disabling or deleting information contained in Flash cookies, please click here "http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html" .
We, along with certain third parties, also may use technologies called beacons (or “pixels”) that communicate information from your device to a server. Beacons can be embedded in online content, videos, and emails, and can allow a server to read certain types of information from your device, know when you have viewed particular content or a particular email message, determine the time and date on which you viewed the beacon, and the IP address of your device. We and certain third parties use beacons for a variety of purposes, including to analyze the use of our Services and (in conjunction with cookies) to provide content and ads that are more relevant to you.
By accessing and using our Services, you consent to the storage of cookies, other local storage technologies, beacons and other information on your devices. You also consent to the access of such cookies, local storage technologies, beacons and information by us and by the third parties mentioned above.
If you have any specific questions, please contact us at:
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
129 Samsung-Ro, Maetan-3dong, Yeongtong-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
Email: through the “Contact Us” section of http://help.content.samsung.com.
Interactive and Customized Content
The Smart TV is designed to enable you to easily find and access video programming and other content. For example, you may access information about live television programs distributed to you by your cable or satellite operator and on-demand video content offerings distributed by third-party content providers through searchable guides displayed on your Smart TV.
In the case of live television programs, we determine what content is available to you based in part on your postcode. In addition, the Smart TV helps you find and experience other Smart TV content more relevant to you by highlighting programming and content that is likely to interest you or providing additional services that will enhance your viewing experience. We base these recommendations and additional services on:
- Information about content that you have watched, purchased, downloaded, or streamed through Samsung applications on your Smart TV or other devices;
- Information about applications you have accessed through the Smart TV;
- Information about your clicks on the “Like,” “Dislike,” “Watch Now,” and other buttons on your Smart TV;
- The query terms you enter into Smart TV search features, including when you search for particular video content;
- Other Smart TV usage and device information, including, but not limited to, IP address, information stored in cookies and similar technologies, information that identifies your hardware or software configuration, browser information, and the page(s) you request.
By enabling the Interest-Based Advertisement feature on your Smart TV, you can choose to make content and advertising served to your Smart TV or across various Samsung and third-party platforms or devices, including linear commercials, on the web, mobile devices, and tablets more relevant to you.
To provide the Interest-Based Advertisement feature, we collect video snippets of the program that you watch and use this information in order to return content or advertisements that may be more relevant to your tastes based on your TV “viewing history”.
Your TV “viewing history” includes information about the networks, channels, websites visited and programs viewed on your Smart TV and the amount of time spent viewing them.
We may use automatic content recognition (ACR) and other technologies to capture this TV viewing history.
You may disable the Interest-Based Advertisement feature at any time by visiting the “settings” menu on your Smart TV. However, if you disable the Interest-Based Advertisement feature, it will not affect whether you receive other types of ads and marketing that is not specifically based on TV viewing history or Smart TV usage information, for example ads based on generalized regional or statistical data. The only difference will be that such ads will not be based on your Smart TV “viewing history”.
Your Smart TV viewing history and usage information for the purposes of providing interest based advertisements will be linked to a randomized, non-persistent and resettable device identifier called the Personalised Service ID or “PSID”.
You may reset your PSID at any time by visiting the settings menu on your Smart TV, and once reset your Smart TV viewing history and Smart TV usage information with respect to interest based advertisements will be de-linked from its previous PSID. Bear in mind that if you reset your PSID, the quality of customized and interest based advertisements may not be fine-tuned.
You can control your Smart TV, and use many of its features, with voice commands.
If you enable Voice Recognition, you can interact with your Smart TV using your voice. To provide the Voice Recognition feature, your voice commands will be transmitted (along with information about your device, including device identifiers) to us and we will convert your voice commands into text to provide the Voice Recognition features. In addition, Samsung may collect voice commands and associated texts so that we can evaluate and improve the features. Samsung will collect your voice commands only when you make a specific search request to the Smart TV by clicking the activation button either on the remote control or on your screen and speaking into the microphone on the remote control.
If you do not enable Voice Recognition, you will not be able to use the voice recognition features.
You may disable Voice Recognition data collection at any time by visiting the “settings” menu. However, this would prevent you from using the Voice Recognition features
Please note that when you watch a video or access applications or content provided by a third-party, that provider may collect or receive information about your Smart TV (e.g., its IP address and device identifiers), the requested transaction (e.g., your request to buy or rent the video), and your use of the application or service. Samsung is not responsible for these providers’ privacy or security practices. You should exercise caution and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use.
Please note that one or more of the features described in this Smart TV Supplement may not be available to you depending on where you live.
Standard Information about your Mobile Device
When you activate your Mobile Device or use its internet connected features, information is collected. This includes information about your Mobile Device, such as your IP address, OS version, regional and language settings, and IMEIs and other unique device identifiers. It also includes information about how, when and for how long you use your Mobile Device.
Please note that when you use a feature provided by a third-party, including your wireless carrier, that provider may collect or receive information about your Mobile Device (e.g., its IP address and device identifiers), the requested transaction (e.g., your request to buy or rent the content), and your use of the application or service. Samsung is not responsible for these providers’ privacy or security practices. You should exercise caution and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use.
Please note that one or more of the features described in this Supplement may not be available to you depending on your model version, your service provider or where you live.
The Samsung Health application, connected applications and associated accessories (collectively “Samsung Health”) is an all-in-one companion designed to encourage a healthy lifestyle. With Samsung Health, you can track your everyday activities; get coaching to reach your daily fitness goals and milestones; and measure and manage factors such as your heart rate, SpO levels, and stress level.
The purpose of processing data for Samsung Health is to provide the service or feature that you request, including data back-up and sync services for Samsung account users, to provide data analysis and statistics to enhance your wellness and to improve Samsung Health itself and its offerings. Data can be collected either through sensors on your Mobile Device or when you actually enter your own data into the applicable Mobile Device or related application or accessory.
Further information on the way we process your information is described in the Samsung Health Privacy Notice, viewable in the Settings menu of the Samsung Health application.
Enhanced Features is a bundled set of services designed to simplify and improve the ways in which you can share and connect with your friends. With the currently available Enhanced Features for example, you can share your profile and view images from your friends using Profile sharing; and easily share files with your friends using Simple Sharing.
To provide Enhanced Features, we will need to collect your phone number, information from your contacts list and access to messages.
You have the choice to disable Enhanced Features in its entirety, or in the alternative, you can pick and choose which of the services you wish to use, by visiting your Profile in your Contacts of your Mobile Device. In addition, based on how you choose to use Enhanced Features, you can choose what categories of data you will share, as well as which friends to share with.
Interactive and Customised Services
Samsung Mobile Devices are designed to be nimble, easy and intelligently anticipate your needs and preferences. Just like with friendships, the more that you learn about a friend’s interests, tendencies and inclinations, the better you can cater to your friend’s individuality. For example, if you know that your friend does not like chocolate, but you were to buy them a chocolate birthday cake, that would not make for a very good friend. The same would be true for us in that, the more we learn about our individual user’s needs and preferences; we can provide better and more likely tailored, interesting and useful services and features.
In the case of our Mobile Devices, if you choose to opt-in and enable Interactive and Customized Services, one simple benefit would be not having to input data again and again. Instead, we can make better use of past instances and anticipate what you may want to input without being asked repeatedly. A more complex benefit may the ability to offer recommendations, services or content based on your past usage information. For example, if we learn from your application usage information that you are very interested in sports, information, offers or hints about sports are more likely to be relevant for you and should enhance your experience with our Mobile Devices. We will base these “Interactive and Customized Services” on:
• Information about websites or search query terms on your browser apps;
• Information about applications you have accessed through your Mobile Device;
• Other Mobile Device usage and device information, including, but not limited to, information that identifies your hardware or software configuration, browser information, and the page(s) you request;
• Information about location and points of interests;
• Contact lists; and
• Voice commands and usage information regarding voice recognition features;
Samsung Pay is an easy and safe way to make debit and credit card purchases using your compatible Mobile Device. To use Samsung Pay and initiate the card registration process, identification and verification data will be submitted to your bank from your Mobile Device. This includes Samsung account information and Samsung Pay usage data, device information, location information (i.e., where you are when you register your card) if location settings are enabled, and card information and billing address, which is sent to your card issuer, passing through our servers. This information is encrypted by your Mobile Device and sent to your bank over Samsung servers. We never access any card or bank details.
Once your Mobile Device has been enrolled, all transaction data is transmitted securely between your Mobile Device and your issuer and bank. Recent transaction history is available on your Mobile Device and is known only to you, your bank and card issuer. We do not collect any information on the transactions you make or the device or account used to make transactions. We may, however, aggregate and anonymize information collected regarding your attempts to make purchases using Samsung Pay to understand the way people use Samsung Pay so that we can improve it by making it more convenient and useful for our customers.
Further information on the way we process your information is described in the Samsung Pay Privacy Notice, viewable in the Settings menu of the Samsung Pay application.
You can control your Mobile Device, and use many of its features, with voice commands.
Depending on your model and region you can command your Mobile Device to activate certain features such as playing songs from playlist or perform web searches using S Voice. You can also receive language translation support through S Translator, dictate memos through Voice Memo or activate features while driving by speaking to your Mobile Device after enabling Car Mode.
To provide the Voice Services, some voice commands may be transmitted (along with information about your device and its usage, including device identifiers) to a third-party service provider that converts your voice commands to text. In addition, Samsung may collect and your device may capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with Voice Services and evaluate and improve the features.
Samsung Advertising ID
In order to make the content and advertising on your mobile device more relevant to you, we will collect information about your usage of your mobile device and services.
Information about your mobile device usage that is collected for the purposes of providing customised marketing will be linked to a randomised, non-persistent, and resettable device identifier called the Samsung advertising ID. You may reset your Samsung advertising ID at any time via the Settings menu on your mobile device and your previous usage information with respect to customised marketing will be de-linked and separated from what is collected under the new Samsung advertising ID. However, if you reset your Samsung advertising ID, the customised marketing may not be best aligned to your personal interests. You may also opt out from receiving customised marketing at any time via the Settings menu in the applicable Samsung service application on your mobile device.
However, even if you opt out from receiving customised marketing, it will not affect whether or not you receive other types of ads and marketing on your mobile devices. The only difference will be that those ads will not be based on the usage information of your mobile device.