WARRANTY FOR SAMSUNG PRODUCTS
(MOBILE PHONE, TABLET,
GALAXY CAMERA AND ACCESSORIES)
PART I GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act (1993) as well as other laws in the jurisdiction guarantee certain conditions, warranties and undertakings, and give you other legal rights, in relation to the quality and fitness for purpose of Samsung consumer products sold in New Zealand.
For products sold in New Zealand, these guarantees cannot be modified nor excluded by any contract, except in those circumstances contemplated by section 43 (2) of the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act.
You are entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality. You are also entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure of the goods and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. What constitutes a major failure is an objective test of reasonableness and not necessarily an individual consumer’s point of view.
Nothing in this Warranty purports to modify or exclude the conditions, warranties and undertakings, and other legal rights, under the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act and other laws. This Warranty gives you additional protection for your Samsung consumer product, and identifies a preferred approach to resolving warranty claims which will be quickest and simplest for all parties, subject to the exclusions, terms and conditions below.
I. Coverage and Application
- A. Samsung Electronics New Zealand Limited of 24 The Warehouse Way, Northcote, Auckland 0627 ("Samsung") warrants that your Samsung consumer product:
- is of acceptable quality;
- does not have a latent defect.
- B. For the purpose of this Warranty, a "Samsung consumer product" is a hardware product which:
- was manufactured by or on behalf of Samsung; and
- is used in a normal domestic environment, not a commercial environment ; and
- bears a trade mark owned or used by Samsung (generally "SAMSUNG"); and
- was sold by an Authorised Reseller or Distributor of Samsung; and
- was purchased in New Zealand,
but does not include any hardware or software which is packaged or sold with a Samsung product unless that is itself a Samsung product or, that item is incorporated into the Samsung product or, in the case of software, pre-loaded onto the Samsung product at the time of sale. Nor does it include a Samsung Mobile Computer, which is subject to its own additional Samsung warranty.
II. Warranty Period
A. The period during which this Warranty is in effect will depend upon the Samsung product to which it relates. In all cases the commencement date for the period is the actual day of purchase, as reflected on the Authorised-Reseller's or Distributor’s invoice / receipt provided to you. The period during which each Samsung product which is the subject of this Warranty is covered by this Warranty is identified in Part II of this Warranty.
III. Warranty Claim
- A. If you consider that the Samsung consumer product which you have purchased is not of acceptable quality, has a latent defect, or is otherwise not compliant with the conditions, warranties, undertakings, and legal rights given to you under New Zealand Law (for example, it appears faulty, or does not work at all or properly), you can make a claim under this Warranty.
- B. Except where an International Product Warranty has been provided with your Samsung consumer product, warranty service will only be provided in the specific country where the Samsung consumer product was originally purchased. For example, if you have purchased the Samsung product within New Zealand, warranty service will be limited to New Zealand only.
- C. If you purchased this product in New Zealand and wish to make a claim under this Warranty, you should:
- contact 0800 Samsung (726786);
- visit the nearest Samsung Customer Service Plaza; or
- visit www.samsung.com/nz.
PRODUCT ONLINE REGISTRATION
You can register your product online at www.samsung.com/nz for customers in New Zealand. While registration is not necessary to make a claim under this Warranty, it may assist Samsung to process any claim which you may make more quickly.
- D. When you make any claim under this Warranty it is essential that you provide a copy of your proof of purchase of the Samsung product, whether in person, by email or by fax. A claim under this Warranty is not formally made unless and until that proof of purchase is provided. This does not detract from your statutory rights.
- E. You will not be able to gain the benefit of this Warranty without making a claim. A claim must be made within the Warranty Period. This Warranty does not cover any defects not notified to Samsung within the Warranty Period, although you may have statutory rights outside of the Warranty Period.
- F. If, following receipt of a claim under this Warranty, Samsung or its agent determine that your claim in respect of a Samsung product is valid (having regard to the terms of Part II of this Warranty), and:
- (a) if the goods can be repaired and the failure to comply with the warranty is not a major failure or a failure of substantial character, Samsung or its agent will either repair the Samsung product or, if authorised by Samsung, pay you for the cost of a repair of the Samsung product, or replace the Samsung product with the same or similar product or refund you the cost of a replacement, in each case depending upon what is reasonable in the circumstances and with regard to Samsung's statutory obligations and at no cost to you. Goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type with equal or greater functionality rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods; or
- (b) if the goods cannot be repaired or the failure to comply with the warranty is a major failure or a failure of substantial character, you may reject the goods or require Samsung to pay you compensation for any reduction in the value of the goods below the price paid or payable by you for the goods.
The standard Samsung warranty periods are set out by product type in the tables in Part II of this Warranty, although each claim is assessed on its own merits and you may have statutory rights outside of the Warranty Period. If Samsung provides you with either a replacement or refund, you immediately transfer ownership in the original Samsung product or part to Samsung. If Samsung repairs the goods, you immediately transfer ownership in any residual parts to Samsung. Any such resolution by Samsung of a claim under this Warranty by you does not otherwise detract from any other statutory rights which you might have in the circumstances, including your right to monetary compensation for a valid claim.
- (G) If, following receipt of a claim under this Warranty, Samsung or its agent determine that your claim in respect of a Samsung product is invalid, Samsung may charge you for any labour, parts or transport costs incurred by Samsung or its agent in assessing your claim.
IV. WARRANTY TRANSFERABILITY
- A. This Warranty is transferable to a subsequent owner of a Samsung consumer product, in the event of the sale of that product, provided that Samsung is informed in writing within a reasonable time of the sale of the subsequent owner's name and contact details, such notice to be provided to Samsung as follows:
- www.samsung.com/nz - for customers in New Zealand.
The notice should identify the name of the previous owner of the Samsung consumer product, place and date of purchase, model, make and serial number of the product. The effective transfer of this Warranty does not otherwise alter the terms of this Warranty in any way.
- B. In cases of authorised product or part replacement of the original purchased Samsung product, the replacement Samsung product or part will be covered for the remainder of the original Warranty Period.
V. CARRY -IN REPAIRS
A. If you wish to make a claim in relation to a Samsung product, please bring, or send, that Samsung product to the nearest Samsung Customer Service Plaza or authorised service centre for assessment, the cost of which will be borne by Samsung if your claim is determined to be valid pursuant to Part I of this Warranty. Whenever possible, the product should be returned in its original carton and packing or alternatively in packing suitable to prevent damage to the product.
Samsung will not accept responsibility for damage to the product during this transport caused by unsuitable or inadequate packing.
B. If you believe that it is not reasonable for you to bring or send the Samsung product to a Samsung Customer Service Plaza or an authorised repair service centre, Samsung will liaise with you to determine the best way in which to inspect and, if necessary, repair the Samsung product the subject of the claim under this Warranty.
VI. WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS
- A. This section identifies what is excluded under this Warranty.
- B. For the avoidance of any doubt, any and all warranties or conditions which are not guaranteed under the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act (as applicable) and which are not expressly included in this Warranty as additional warranties or conditions are excluded.
- C. This Warranty does not extend to loss caused by normal wear and tear, fire, water (liquid spillage or ingression), theft, vermin or insect infestation.
- D. This Warranty does not cover water damage to the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone where the water damage was caused by:
- • improper closure of the back cover of the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone; or
- • use of a non Samsung accessory cover; or
- • submersion of the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone in water for 30 minutes or more; or
- • the depth of the water at which the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone was submerged was greater than or equal to 1 metre.
- E. This Warranty does not cover damage caused by:
- • misuse or abusive use of the Samsung product, including physical abuse;
- • incorrect operation or not following the operation instructions (as stated in the Product Operation Manual or manufacturer's instructions provided with the Samsung product);
- • improper installation;
- • incorrect or improper maintenance or failure to maintain the Samsung product;
- • failure to clean or improper cleaning of the product;
- • incorrect voltage or non-authorised electrical connections;
- • adverse external conditions such as power surges and dips, thunderstorm activity, acts of God, acts of terrorism, damage caused by vermin, or any other act or circumstance beyond Samsung's control;
- • exposure to excessive heat, moisture or dampness;
- • exposure to abnormally corrosive conditions;
- • use of non authorised/non-standard, defective or incompatible parts;
- • password setting/ resetting and computer virus;
- • repair, modification or other work carried out on the Samsung product other than by Authorised Samsung Service Personnel; and
- • any damage caused by micro sims where the product is not specifically designed to accept them.
- F. This Warranty does not cover Samsung products purchased in an auction
- G. If the Samsung product you are using has been rented or leased by you, and you consider a claim might be made under this Warranty, you should refer the matter to the rental or leasing company immediately and they will handle the matter.
- H. This Warranty does not cover service costs in replacing and maintaining consumable parts which have ceased working through normal wear and tear.
- I. To the extent permitted by law, this Warranty does not cover Samsung products which, at the time you consider a claim might be made under this Warranty, do not bear the original manufacturer’s factory-applied serial number and IMEI number in its original form (for instance where it or the sticker bearing it has been removed, wiped out, rubbed off, or altered).
- J. This Warranty does not cover the loss of any data howsoever caused. You shall be responsible for backing up and protecting data against loss, damage or destruction. Please note that the repair of goods may result in loss of data.
- K. This Warranty does not cover any defects not notified to Samsung within the Warranty Period, however, you may also have statutory rights outside of the Warranty Period.
PART II PRODUCT WARRANTY PERIODS AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS
I. Parts (Options) and Accessories Warranty
- A. This part of the Warranty identifies Samsung's preferred approach to resolving warranty claims in relation to parts and accessories.
- B. The table below this sub-paragraph identifies the periods under which a claim may be made under this Warranty for replacement of a part or accessory. However, you may also have statutory rights outside of these periods. The parts and accessories are divided into those which are supplied within the box of the Samsung product for which they are to be used (In-Box), and those which are supplied separately from a Samsung product for use with it (Out-Box).
- 1. In-Box:
- • All Samsung parts and accessories (including batteries) purchased together with the Samsung product are covered under this Warranty for the period specified in the table below. Generally Samsung will replace the defective part or accessory which is the subject of the claim during this period.
- • You will only be able to make a claim under this Warranty for lost or missing Samsung parts and accessories if, with your claim, you are able to provide satisfactory evidence that the relevant item was missing from the box or other storage or packaging material originally supplied by Samsung.
- 2. Out-Box:
- • Parts and accessories purchased from Authorised Samsung Resellers and Distributors are generally covered under this Warranty. Please refer to the specific period below.
||Warranty Period (In-Box)
||Warranty Period (Out-Box)
|Mobile Phone, Tablet and Galaxy Camera Accessories|
II. PARTS AND LABOUR WARRANTY
Unless specified, this Warranty covers corresponding costs for parts and labour which may be required to repair the Samsung product, part or accessory if Samsung or its agent repair the item under this Warranty.
III. WARRANTY BY PRODUCT TABLE
The table below in this sub-paragraph summarises the standard Samsung warranty period for resolving claims under this Warranty, although each claim is assessed on its own merits. You may have statutory rights outside of the Warranty Period. Please refer to Part I, paragraph (III) F. for the range of Samsung's responses to a claim under this Warranty in accordance with the table below. In some instances the appropriate response to the claim will differ from the warranty period noted below.
|Product (Mobile Phones & Tablets)
||Special Warranty Conditions
|Mobile Phone & Tablets
||Excluding the battery and any accessory
(refer to Part II, paragraph I B.)