Using the GALAXY Tab and 10.1 for Census
Throughout the UAE, policy makers, government officials and other public sector workers are successfully implementing a high-performing survey tool that records accurate, real-time census information directly onto GALAXY Tabs.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Census Application and Geographic Information System Application
Function to synchronize the census data with the main server, and update of building/positional data utilizing GIS
GALAXY Tab, GALAXY Tab 10.1
- Utilisation of a census application and geographic information application to provide policy makers, businessmen and government with reliable statistical data
- Optimum utilisation of equipment for convenient investigation, taking into account the size of the equipment, support for an external memory and battery life
- Reinforcement of strategic cooperation with the solution provider through a successful POC (Proof Of Concept)
- Development of an interface with a GIS application program which was used for the existing iPad
- Equipment size suitable for work relating to collection of censuses, support for an external memory, and long battery life
- After-sales support service
Each census-taker carried a tablet which uses two solutions to transmit census data - census program and geographical information program and the goal was to ensure reliability.
- Census application and geographical information system application
- GALAXY Tab
- GALAXY Tab 10.1
In collaboration with ESRI, the leading GIS solution provider, we have developed a new interface that makes the GIS iPad app compatible with GALAXY Tabs. Also, we strategically agreed with each other to ensure that the advantages of Galaxy Tab as a statistical survey device (size, support for an external memory and battery life) were acknowledged through a successful POC, and to utilise the same for statistical surveys in the future.
- Securement of reliable statistical data using GIS
- Enhancement of convenience in census taking by utilizing improved hardware (size, support for an external memory, etc.)
- in comparison to that of the existing iPad
This is not only a successful case study of having used smartphones for mobile census collection for the first time in the world, but also a major success in terms of e-commerce between a company and the government (B2G). It enabled the government to generate government-guaranteed statistical data by enhancing the reliability of data through utilisation of GIS, taking a step forward from the existing census collection method.