What information do we collect about you?Expand
Information you provide directly
Some Services enable you to give us information directly. For example:
- A number of our Services enable users to create accounts or profiles. In connection with these Services, we may ask you to provide certain information about yourself to set up the account or profile. For example, you can submit certain information about yourself, such as your name and email address, when you create a Samsung Account.
- If you order a product or paid service from us, we may ask for your name, contact information, shipping and billing address(es), and credit card information in order to process your order.
- Some of our Services enable you to communicate with other people. Those communications will be transmitted through and stored on our systems.
Information about your use of the Services
In addition to the information you provide, we may collect information about your use of our Services through software on your device and other means. For example, we may collect:
- Device information such as your hardware model, IMEI number and other unique device identifiers, MAC address, IP address, operating system version, and settings of the device you use to access the Services.
- Log information such as the time and duration of your use of the Service, search query terms you enter through the Services, and any information stored in cookies that we have set on your device.
- Location information such as your device’s GPS signal or information about nearby WiFi access points and cell towers that may be transmitted to us, with your consent, when you use certain Services.
- Voice information such as recordings of your voice that we make (and may store on our servers) when you use voice commands to control a Service. (Note that we work with a third-party service provider that provides speech-to-text conversion services on our behalf. This provider may receive and store certain voice commands.)
- Other information about your use of the Services, such as the apps you use, the websites you visit, and how you interact with content offered through a Service.
Information from third-party sources
We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources (as permitted by law), which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you. We also may receive information about you from third-party social networking services when you choose to connect with those services.
Other Information We Collect
We also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the services in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent.
You can choose not to provide us with certain types of information (e.g., information we request during Samsung Account registration), but doing so may affect your ability to use some Services.
How do we use your information?Expand
We may use information we collect for the following purposes:
- to register you or your device for a Service;
- to provide a Service or feature you request, including to enable us to fulfill our obligations under any contract with you;
- to provide customised content and make recommendations based on your past activities on our Services;
- for advertising, such as providing customised advertisements and sponsored content (including through our advertising service, AdHub, whose practices you can learn more about here) and sending you promotional communications;
- for assessment and analysis of our market, customers, products, and services (including asking you for your opinions on our products and services and carrying out customer surveys);
- to understand the way people use our Services so that we can improve them and develop new products and services;
- to provide maintenance services for your device;
- for the prevention or detection of fraud or crime;
- for business monitoring and internal record keeping;
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to conduct free prize draws, prize competitions or promotions, as permitted by law; and
- otherwise with your consent.
We may use information about you which we hold in order to provide you with information about products or services, promotions, special offers and other information which relates to our products or services or which we believe may be of interest to you.
When you provide us with information about yourself, you will usually be given the option to let us know that you do not want that information to be used for direct marketing purposes whether by ourselves or by any third party (including our commercial partners). We will only use that information for the purpose of direct marketing in accordance with your preferences (or where we are otherwise permitted to do so by law).
Where your consent is required, we will usually ask for it by asking to you tick an "opt-in" box on the pages of our website where we ask for information about you. The "opt-in" box may or may not be split between different classes of information or different means of marketing.
By 'preferences' we mean whether or not you have "opted in" and as such whether we can or cannot send direct marketing to you.
We may send you such information by:
- telephone (including automated calls which means a call which delivers a pre-recorded message with marketing content to your telephone);
- SMS text message and/or any other form of electronic messages (including MMS; picture messages; video messages; instant messages; and next generation messages);
- smartphone applications;
- social networking websites;
- Web 2.0;
- any mobile telephone media content not referred to elsewhere in this list;
- or any other method which becomes relevant from time to time.
You can change your mind about your preferences (as defined above) in respect of direct marketing by contacting our Data Protection Officer at Samsung House, 1000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0PS. You can do this at any time. In addition, if you receive direct marketing from us by email or by SMS message, you will be reminded in the email or SMS message that you are free to request a change to your preferences. If you do change your mind about your preferences, we would not remove your Personal Data from our data base(s) but we would note your changed preferences and would cease using your information for the purpose of direct marketing as soon as reasonably possible.
To whom do we disclose your information?Expand
We will not disclose your information to third parties for their own independent marketing or business purposes without your consent. However, we may disclose your information to the following entities:
- Affiliates Your information may be shared among Samsung Affiliates.
- Business Partners We also may share your information with trusted business partners, including wireless carriers. These entities may use your information to provide you with services you request (e.g., video content provided by Netflix through SmartTV), make predictions about your interests and may provide you with promotional materials, advertisements and other materials.
- Service providers We also may disclose your information to companies that provide services for or on behalf of us, such as companies that help us with billing or that send emails on our behalf. These entities are limited in their ability to use your information for purposes other than providing services for us.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect Our Services.
There may be instances when we disclose your information to other parties:
- - to comply with the law or respond to compulsory legal process (such as a search warrant or other court order);
- - to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our Services; and
- - to protect the rights, property, or safety of Samsung, or any of our respective affiliates, business partners, or customers.
- Other Parties in Connection With Corporate Transactions. We may disclose your information to a third party as part of a merger or transfer, or in the event of a bankruptcy.
What do we do to keep your information secure?Expand
We have put in place reasonable physical and technical measures to safeguard the information we collect in connection with the Services. However, please note that although we take reasonable steps to protect your information, no website, Internet transmission, computer system or wireless connection is completely secure.
International Transfer of Data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, stored at or otherwise processed in a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"), including but not limited to South Korea .
Accessing Your Information
Under UK data protection law you have the right to request details of Personal Data which we hold about you. We will comply with your request promptly and by no later than 40 days from receipt of any such request. We may charge a reasonable fee for dealing with your request which we will notify to you. If you would like to make any such request please write to our Data Privacy Officer at Samsung House, 1000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0PS.
Please help us to ensure that the information about you that we hold is accurate and up to date. If you think that any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to our Data Privacy Officer in the manner set out above. We will correct or update any information about you as soon as reasonably possible.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that we retain information about you only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, or as required under any contract or by applicable law.
Third-Party Links and Products on Our Services
Our Services may link to third-party websites and services that are outside our control. We are not responsible for the security or privacy of any information collected by websites or other services. You should exercise caution, and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use.
We also may make available to you certain products or services (e.g., apps available through Samsung Apps) developed by third parties. Samsung is not responsible for these third-party products or services.
Third Parties that Provide Content, Advertising or Functionality on Our Services
Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. For example:
- We enable you to watch video content provided by companies through SmartTV;
- Third parties develop apps that we make available through the Samsung App Store;
- Certain third parties may serve advertising or keep track of which advertisements users see, how often they see those advertisements, and what users do in response to them; and
- We enable you to share certain materials on the Services with others through social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter, Google +, and LinkedIn.
If you connect with a social networking service, we may receive and store authentication information from that service to enable you to log in, as well as other information that you allow us to receive when you connect with these services.
Also, please note that if you choose to connect with a social networking service on a device used by people in addition to you, those other users may be able to see information stored or displayed in connection with your account on the social networking service(s) with which you connect.
Cookies, Beacons and Similar TechnologiesExpand
Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone or other device. They enable the entity that put the cookie on your device to recognise you across different websites, services, devices, and/or browsing sessions. Cookies serve many useful purposes.
We use the following types of cookies on our website:
- Essential cookies, which enable you to order products and receive services from our website;
- Performance cookies, which enable us to analyse the performance and design of our website and detect errors. For example, this type of cookie allows us to recognise that you have visited our website before, and show which sections of our website are most popular by allowing us to see which pages visitors access most frequently and how much time visitors spend on each page. We may use Google Analytics or similar analytics cookies to achieve this;
- Functional cookies, which allow us to deliver a better user experience. For example, this type of cookie ensures that the information displayed on your next visit to our website will match up with your user preferences, or tells us the domain name of another website from which you linked to our website; and
- Advertising cookies, which enable us and our carefully selected retail partners to deliver advertisements to you which match your interests by, for example, collecting information about products you have browsed or ordered on our website. We may use Google remarketing tags to allow our retail partners to advertise products which you have browsed on our website. For further information about how Google remarketing tags work, please click here:- http://www.google.co.uk/think/products/new-remarketing-tag.html
Our website may also display content from a third party website or service, which may result in cookies from third parties being stored on your hard drive or browser. We do not control the storage of these cookies and you should refer to the privacy policies of the relevant third party for more information.
When you use a web browser to access the Services, you can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. The operating system of your device may contain additional controls for cookies.
Please note, however, that some Services may be designed to work using cookies and that disabling cookies may affect your ability to use those Services, or certain parts of them.
Other Local Storage
We, along with certain third parties, may use other kinds of local storage technologies, such as Local Shared Objects (also referred to as “Flash cookies”) and HTML5 local storage, in connection with our Services. These technologies are similar to the cookies discussed above in that they are stored on your device and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences. However, these technologies may make use of different parts of your device from standard cookies, and so you might not be able to control them using standard browser tools and settings. For information about disabling or deleting information contained in Flash cookies, please click here.
We, along with certain third parties, also may use technologies called beacons (or “pixels”) that communicate information from your device to a server. Beacons can be embedded in online content, videos, and emails, and can allow a server to read certain types of information from your device, know when you have viewed particular content or a particular email message, determine the time and date on which you viewed the beacon, and the IP address of your device. We and certain third parties use beacons for a variety of purposes, including to analyse the use of our Services and (in conjunction with cookies) to provide content and ads that are more relevant to you.
By accessing and using our Services, you consent to the storage of cookies, other local storage technologies, beacons and other information on your devices. You also consent to the access of such cookies, local storage technologies, beacons and information by us and by the third parties mentioned above.
You can make choices about whether to receive promotional communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions included in the communication. And by adjusting the privacy setting on the relevant device or updating your user or account profile, you can make a variety of choices about how your information is used.
Social network pluginsExpand
Our Services make use of social network plugins (“Plugins”). When you use a Service that contains Plugins, information may be directly transferred from your device to the operator of the social network. We have no influence on the data gathered by the Plugin. If you are logged into the social network, your use of our Service can be referenced to your social network account. If you interact with the Plugins, for example by clicking “Like”, “Follow” or “Share”, or enter a comment, the information may automatically show in your social network profile. Even if you are not logged into your social network account, it may be possible that the Plugins transmit your IP address to the social network operators. Please consider this when using our Services.
For information about the social network operators of the Plugins used in our Services (“Operators”) please see below:
- Operators of Plugins used in our Services If you are a member of one or more of the following social networks and do not want the Operator to connect the data concerning your use of our Services with your member data already stored by the Operator, please log off the social network before using our Services.
If you have any specific questions, please contact us at:
For free services (including Samsung brand store and Samsung eStore):-
Data Protection Officer
Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited
Samsung House, 1000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0PS
For paid applications and software services:-
Samsung Electronics GmbH
Samsung House, Am Kronberger Hang 6, 65824 Schwalbach/Ts., Germany
Effective: 10 March 2014
The term ‘affiliates’ refers to companies related to Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited. by common ownership or control. Our affiliates include companies with the Samsung Electronics name, such as Samsung Electronics GmbH in Germany or our parent company Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.. Affiliates may also include other companies related by common ownership or control, such as Samsung Information Systems America.
Provide customised content and make recommendations
We may use information we collect to provide you with customised content and make recommendations that are based in part on your past activities on our Services. For example, Samsung Hub provides you with recommendations about video, music, applications and third-party content that we think will interest you. Your SmartTV provides recommendations about video content you might like. Please visit the settings menu on your device for information about privacy choices you may have available to you in connection with these services.
Improve them and develop new products and services
We may use information we collect to understand the way you use the products and services we offer so that we can improve them and develop new products and services. For example, we may use this information to make better-informed decisions about the design of our devices and the selection of Samsung and third-party content that is accessible through our devices and services.