What is the Software Version on My Galaxy Gear?
The next generation of the Samsung Galaxy Gear software, the Tizen OS, will soon be made available. Update your Samsung Galaxy Gear to Tizen OS and take advantage of all-new features!
To update your Galaxy Gear to the Tizen OS, use Kies 2.6 or 3.0.
Updating the Galaxy Gear using Kies 2.6 or 3.0
Click the button below to go to download Samsung Kies.
After you download and install Kies for your platform, switch back to this article and follow the appropriate steps below.
Note: The time to upgrade your device will vary. Depending upon your computer and network connection, you may experience some idle time or slow response in Kies. Do not close any programs on your PC, disconnect, or turn off your device until the upgrade process is complete.
- Windows Operating System
- Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 (Windows 8 RT is not supported)
- CPU: Intel Pentium 1.8 GHz or greater (Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz recommended)
- Memory (RAM): 1GB (Recommended)
- Hard Drive Space: At least 500MB
- Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768
- Required software: Microsoft .Net Framework v3.5 SP1 or later, Windows Media Player 11 or later DirectX v9.0 or later,
- OSX 10.5 and up
- Processor: 1.8GHz
- Memory (RAM): 512MB Free
- Hard Drive Space: At least 100MB
- Fully Charged Battery
Note: The upgrade process may not complete if the charge level is less than 50 percent.
- USB Data Cable (Included In Retail Box)
Note: This is the same cable used to charge your device.
How Do I Update My Samsung Galaxy Gear?
For questions about or assistance with updating your Galacxy Gear to Tizen OS, please call Samsung Support at 1-800-726-7864.
Note: Updating your Galaxy Gear from the previous OS to the Tizen OS will delete all data from your Galaxy Gear and remove any apps that were downloaded onto it. Before updating your Galaxy Gear to the Tizen OS, back up any personal data from the Galaxy Gear that you prefer to keep.
- After the download is complete, launch the installer and allow Kies to install on your system. If you are prompted to reboot the system, do so before proceeding.
- Connect your device to your PC or laptop using the supplied USB cable.
- Ensure that Kies recognizes your device by looking in the upper section of the left-bar navigation menu. Your device should be listed.
- Once Kies recognizes the device you will see the following window.
Firmware versions listed may vary.
- Click Update.
- Read through the Caution pop-up and, if you agree, click to populate the I have read all of the above information checkbox.
- Read the Agreement to Collect and Use Information statement and select I agree and then click Start upgrade.
- Read the Notice of improvements, click the confirmation checkboxes, and then click Next.
- Kies will begin downloading firmware upgrade components from Samsung servers. This will take a few minutes depending on the speed of your Internet connection.
Note: The time to upgrade your device will vary. Depending upon your computer and network connection, you may experience some idle time or slow response in Kies. Do not close any programs on your PC, disconnect or turn off your device until the upgrade process is complete.
- After a few minutes, Kies will then begin transferring the firmware binary to the device.
On your computer, you will see the Kies screen below.
- After a few more minutes, the firmware upgrade will be complete.
Versions shown may vary.
- Click OK. You can now disconnect your device from the PC. Once the device has restarted it will be ready to use.
After I Update My Samsung Galaxy Gear™
- Download and install the latest version of Gear Manager if you have not already done so.
- Renew the pairing of the Galaxy Gear with your phone.
- Download and reinstall all previously-installed applications to your Galaxy Gear.
- Restore any data that you backed up before updating your Galaxy Gear to the Tizen OS.
Thank you for your feedback!