Samsung Electronics collects information from you in a variety of ways.Information You Provide Directly
Some Services enable you to give us information directly. For example:
- When you create an account or profile with us, we ask for information such as your name, date of birth, or contact information such as phone number and email address.
- If you order a product or paid service from us, we ask for your name, address, contact information, and shipping and payment information to process your order. You can also choose to save your payment information with us so you can checkout more easily next time. We will use such information to fulfil your requests, provide the products or services, or for anti-fraud and anti-robbery analysis.
- To provide responses when you contact Customer Service, we need certain information to verify your identity and the product you’re inquiring about.
- When you communicate with our Customer Service staff or others, your communications will be transmitted through our systems.
- If you share your contacts, we’ll collect their phone numbers and other contact information to facilitate file sharing and messaging. You can turn off or restrict these features in Settings on your devices.
In addition to the information you provide, we collect information about your use of our Services through software on your devices and by other means. This information includes:
- Device information: Your device hardware (such as model and manufacturer) and software information (such as operating system and software versions), IMEI number and other unique device identifiers (such as mobile country code, mobile network code, MAC address, IP address, device unique IDs, advertising ID (e.g. for mobile devices, Google AD ID and Android ID and for Samsung visual display devices, including Samsung Smart TVs, Personalised Service ID (“PSID”) and Tizen Identifier for Advertising(“TIFA”), and serial number), phone number, sales code, access recording, cookies, pixels and similar technologies (as described below in “cookies, beacons and similar technologies”), subscription information and settings of the devices you use to access Services.
- Log information: Diagnostic, technical, error, and usage information such as the time and duration of your use of Services, Services installed on your devices, search query terms when you enter search terms into your device in connection with a particular Samsung Service, any information stored in cookies that we have set on your devices, and error reports and dump logs.
- Location information: Information about nearby Wi-Fi access points, cell towers, and, with your separate consent, your device’s GPS signal, may be transmitted to us when you use certain Services. In addition, for certain Services, zip code or postal code and inferred location using IP address may be transmitted to us when you use such Services.
- Samsung Keyboard information: The words that you type when you enable Predictive text. This feature may be offered in connection with your Samsung account to synchronise the data for use on your other Samsung mobile devices. You can clear the data by going to the Predictive text settings.
- Viewing Information: The networks, channels, websites visited, and programs viewed on your devices and the amount of time spent viewing them.
We sometimes gather publicly or commercially available information, including information from social networks you use, and combine this with other information about you so that we can better understand your needs, interests, and preferences.
Other Information We Collect
We also collect other information about you, your devices, or your use of Services that you consent to send us. We obtain your consent in accordance with applicable law.
Third Party Analytics
Through certain Services, we collect personal information about your online activities on websites and connected devices over time and across third-party websites, devices, apps and other online features and services. We use third-party analytics services on the Services, such as those of Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics. The service providers that administer these analytics services help us to analyse your use of the Services and improve the Services. The information we obtain may be disclosed to or collected directly by these providers and other relevant third parties who use the information, for example, to evaluate use of the Services, help administer the Services and diagnose technical issues. To learn more about Google Analytics, please visit http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html and https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
You can choose not to provide us with certain types of information, such as information requested as part of purchasing a product or service. In some cases, this may limit your ability to use some Services.
For example, when you register your Samsung account, we will use your device and geolocation information and you will automatically be able to use Find My Mobile service, which allows you to locate your device and protect your data. If you choose not to provide us with your data for Find My Mobile service, you may turn it off by Settings > Biometric and Security > Find My Mobile (this flow may differ, depending on the OS of your device), which will consequently limit your ability to use this service.
We’ll do our best to explain these limitations when we’re asking for your information so you can make an informed decision.
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To help you or your device register for our Services.
- To provide a Service or feature you request.
- To provide personalized content and personalised services based on your past activities on our Services.
- To provide personalized and/or generalised advertising, promotions, and offers that might interest you on our Services, websites, third-party websites, and online platforms such as social media sites (in accordance with applicable law). We will only send you personalized advertising, promotions and offers when you have provided your consent to receive marketing communications from Samsung.
- To provide promotions and offers by way of direct marketing communications (such as via email, push, or text messages), only where you have given us your separate consent.
- To operate, evaluate and improve our business, including developing and improving new and existing products and services, managing and improving our communications, analysing our Services and customer base (including conducting market research, asking for your opinions on our products and services and carrying out customer surveys, with your separate consent if required) and aggregating and anonymising data.
- To provide software updates, maintenance services, and support for your devices.
- To provide customer support to you when your devices are in warranty.
- To ensure product safety and to prevent against fraud when your products are out of warranty, we will collect your IMEI and serial number.
- To verify your device for repairs.
- To protect the legal rights and interests, property, or safety of Samsung Electronics, or any of our affiliates, business partners, or customers.
- To respond to your requests and queries, including about your personal information.
- To protect against, identify, and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims, and other liabilities.
- To analyse a defective device that is returned to Samsung. Samsung takes measures to ensure that all defective devices are wiped of personal data before such devices are analysed.
We use and combine the information we collect about you from our Services, devices, or other sources to provide you with a better experience. For example, you can save payment information you used to make a purchase on our website so that you can check out faster next time you make a purchase. We also use the information you provide directly or through other sources as described above to provide content you may like or that you’ve personalised.
You have choices about your information. Check out the WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS? section to learn more.
Please note that your privacy choice with respect to interest-based or personalized ads (“targeted ads”) will not affect whether or not you receive or are served with generic, basic or contextual types of ads (“non-targeted ads”) that are not specifically based on the information we describe to you to provide targeted ads for a particular Service.
For mobile devices, the information we use to show you non-targeted ads includes the applicable app information (e.g. app package, version, name, and domain), device information (e.g. device type, manufacturer, operating system, version, display information, telecommunications provider, country, and language), and device identifiers (e.g. IP and advertising ID). We share these data with trusted business partners (data controllers) and trusted service providers (processors) to provide you with non-targeted ads, subject to appropriate contractual safeguards being in place.
Samsung processes these limited data on the basis of its legitimate interest to serve non-targeted ads. These ads might be less relevant because they are not based on your interests.
Samsung processes personal information for the purposes described above. Samsung’s legal basis to process personal information will vary from country to country but includes processing:
(i) So that we can keep our promises to you, such as providing you with a Service.
(ii) To promote our business interests (legitimate interest) (for example, to manage our relationship with you, improve your customer service experience, and provide generic ads), including communications on our website, third party websites, and online platforms.
(iii) To comply with the law and legal processes.
Samsung will provide specific privacy notices where will define the legal basis to process your personal data according to country of your residence.
We disclose your information internally within our business, as well as to the following entities, for the purposes described above.
- Affiliates: Other Samsung Electronics Group companies which we control or own.
- Business Partners: Partners who we work together with. For example, we may work with a bank so that you can use one of our Services to make faster and more efficient payments. These business partners control and manage your personal information.
- Service Providers: Carefully selected companies that provide services for or on behalf of us, such as companies that help us with repairs, customer contact centres, customer care activities, advertising (including personalized advertising on our websites, third-party websites, online platforms and social media platforms), conducting customer satisfaction surveys, or billing, or that send emails on our behalf. These providers are also committed to protecting your information.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect Our Services: For example, it may be necessary by law, legal process, or court order from governmental authorities to disclose your information. They may also seek your information from us for the purposes of law enforcement, national security, anti-terrorism, or other issues that are related to public security.
- Other Parties in Connection with Corporate Transactions: We may disclose your information to a third party as part of a merger or transfer, acquisition or sale, or in the event of a bankruptcy.
We take data protection seriously. We’ve put in place physical and technical safeguards to keep the information we collect secure. However, please note that although we take reasonable steps to protect your information, no website, Internet transmission, computer system, or wireless connection is completely secure.
Your use of our Services will involve the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information within and outside of your country of residence, consistent with this policy. In particular, your personal information will be transferred to the Republic of Korea.
In addition, your use of the Services may also involve the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information to other countries, where necessary; such countries include, without limitation, countries in the United States of America, India, Poland and Brazil. Please note that the data protection and other laws of countries to which your information may be transferred might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. We will take appropriate measures, in compliance with applicable law, to ensure that your personal information remains protected. Such measures include the use of Standard Contractual Clauses to safeguard the transfer of data outside of country of your residence.
Your personal information belongs to you. In accordance with applicable law, you have the right to ask us to provide details about what we’ve collected, and you can ask us to delete it or correct any inaccuracies. You can also ask us to restrict, cancel or limit processing, sharing, or transfer of your personal information, as well as to provide to you your personal information that we’ve collected so you can use it for your own purposes. However, requesting the deletion of your personal information may also result in a loss of access to Services we provide. We won’t delete data that we’re required by law to retain.
To make a request concerning your rights or to make an inquiry, contact us. See the CONTACT US section.
We won’t keep your personal information for longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. This means that information will be destroyed or erased from our systems when it’s no longer required.
We take appropriate steps to ensure that we process and retain information about you based on the following logic:1. At least the duration for which the information is used to provide you with a service.
2. As required under law, a contract, or with regard to our statutory obligations.
3. Only for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, is processed, or longer if required under any contract, by applicable law, or for statistical purposes, subject to appropriate safeguards.
For some apps and services, including social networks, we receive and store sign-in information, as well as other information that you allow us to receive when you connect with these apps and services.
We, along with certain third parties such as content providers and advertisers, may also use technologies called cookies, beacons or pixels and other tools (collectively known as “technologies”) that communicate information from your device to a server. Technologies can be embedded in online content, videos, and advertisements. They allow a server to read certain types of information from your device, know when you’ve viewed particular content or a particular advertisement, and determine the time and date on which you viewed the content and information about your device, including the IP address of your device. We, and third parties, use technologies for purposes such as verifying that content and ads have been delivered and viewed correctly. Check our Cookies Policies available at https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/info/privacy/cookies for further details.
You can contact us to update your preferences, exercise your rights concerning the processing of your data, submit a request, or ask us questions.
The easiest way is through the Support section of https://www.samsung.com/.
You can contact us at:
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
129, Samsung-ro, Yeongtong-gu,
Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do 16677, Republic of Korea