During this period, 17 different products from semiconductors to computer monitors, TFT-LCD screens to colour picture tubes climbed into the ranks of the top-five products for global market share in their respective areas and 12 others achieved top market ranking in their areas. Being No.1 also means fulfilling corporate social obligations, whether the cause is social welfare, environmental conservation, cultural events or sports.
To that end, Samsung Electronics actively participated in sports marketing and as a result of its intensive efforts, its then-chairman, Kun-hee Lee, was selected as a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in July 1996, greatly enhancing the company’s image as a key contributor to world athletics.
- Developed the 1G DRAM
- Began mass production of 64M DRAMs
- Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) developed world’s first real-time MPEG-3 technology
- Developed the world’s first 33" double-screen TV
- Developed the world’s first 256M DRAM
- Produced over 30 million microwave ovens