My fingerprint scanner isn't working
The fingerprint scanner makes unlocking your phone a breeze. With no codes to remember and scanners that can read your fingerprint within a second, you can spend more time using your device for the things that you want. If you're having issues with your fingerprint scanner there are a number of solutions you can try.
Fingerprint recognition can be affected by a number of conditions. Try each of the following to see if your device is having trouble recognising your fingerprint.
- Are you using a different finger? Make sure that you use the same finger that you used to set up the lock.
- Is your fingerprint sensor damaged? Check that the sensor isn't scratched or damaged.
- Are you using a screen protector? unoffical, scratched or dirty screen protectors may cause the fingerprint sensor to malfunction. Try removing or cleaning the screen protector.
- Are your fingers dry or damp? Fingers that are too wet or too dry may not be recognised. Let your fingers dry if they are wet or use a moisturiser if they are too dry.
- Are your fingertips bent? The fingerprint sensor works best when covered by your entire fingerprint.
- Are your fingertips scarred? Scar tissue and wrinkles can change your fingerprint. You may have to remove and then register your fingerprint again.
If your fingerprint still isn't being recognised, you can try removing and then registering your fingerprint again.
If your fingerprint sensor is still having issues, you can try clearing the temporary data on your phone to fix the problem. This will not delete any of your information from your device.
Once your device has restarted, try to use your fingerprint again. If you are still experiencing issues with your fingerprint sensor, please contact Samsung Support.
If you're experiencing unusual behaviour on Samsung mobiles, tablets or wearables, you can send us an error report or ask us a question in the Samsung Members app.
This allows us to take a closer look at what is happening. The data is anonymised and only held for the duration of the investigation. Find out more about sending an error report through the Samsung Members app.
Thank you for your feedback!
Not finding what you're looking for? We're here to help.
There are a number of different ways of contacting us via Live Chat, Email, Twitter, Facebook Messenger and more.