How to setup and use the fingerprint sensor on your Galaxy device?
Fingerprint recognition uses the unique characteristics of each fingerprint to enhance the security of your device. Once the Fingerprint sensor is set up to recognise your biometric data, you can confirm your identity and unlock your device simply by placing your finger on the fingerprint guide.
Note: The following instructions apply to phones with the Android 9.0 or higher. Available screens and settings may vary by wireless service provider, software version, and phone model.
It's time to set up fingerprint security and register your prints. The steps will be almost exactly the same, no matter what phone you have. The only difference will be where the fingerprint sensor is located on your phone.
From Settings, tap Biometrics and security, and then tap Fingerprints. Tap Continue, and then, if needed, set a screen lock. Follow the on-screen prompts to register your fingerprint. When you're finished, tap Done.
Next, make sure that the switch next to Fingerprint unlock is turned on. To unlock your phone, tap the screen or press the Power button. Then, place the registered finger on the fingerprint scanner, wherever it's located. The phone will automatically unlock if it recognizes your fingerprint.
Note: The Galaxy S10 series, Note10 series, and Fold come with a pre-installed plastic screen protector. Installing another screen protector may affect fingerprint recognition.
You can add up to 4 different fingerprints.
From Settings, tap Biometrics and security, and then tap Fingerprints. Enter your secure screen lock credentials. Tap Add fingerprint. Follow the on-screen prompts, and then tap Done.
From Settings, tap Biometrics and security, and then tap Fingerprints. Next, enter your security credentials. Tap the fingerprint you want to delete (i.e. Fingerprint 1), and then tap Remove. Next, tap Remove again to confirm.
Note: Removing all registered fingerprints will turn off the Fingerprint unlock feature by default.
- Keep your skin and the fingerprint scanner dry when attempting to unlock your device - the scanner can't read if moisture is detected.
- Your finger should cover the fingerprint scanner completely.
- Make sure no case or cover is restricting access to the scanner.
- Keep the fingerprint sensor free of dirt or debris. If the scanner gets dirty, wipe it gently with a soft dry cloth.
- Scanning each finger at multiple angles will increase the fingerprint scanner accuracy.
- Try removing your registered fingerprint and re-scan.
Thank you for your feedback!