What is Samsung DeX Pad and how to use it?
Get a PC-like experience on the go with Samsung DeX. It’s an interface where you can seamlessly work, watch, and play. When you want a larger display, connect it to your mobile device with a cable and use like a PC. Your mobile device can even be used as a mouse and keyboard. So you’re all set to go, and ready to change how you multitask and use your everyday apps.
What is Samsung DeX Pad and how to use it?
Samsung DeX Pad allows you to turn your phone into a computer and use it as a touchpad to navigate the Galaxy Desktop.
• Enjoy rich desktop-like experience complete with contextual menus, drag-and-drop functionality and multiple, resizable windows
• Acts as a phone charger
• Built-in cooling fan
• Lightweight: 135.4g
• Supports USD Type-C cable, HDMI, USB 2.0
• Only on supported mobile devices running Android 8.0 or higher
• You can view the compatible device in the instruction section for the DeX Pad on the Samsung website
• If you connect a Micro USB cable, the DeX Pad may malfunction or be damaged
• All accessories, including the DeX Pad, are sold separately
• For more information about using the DeX Pad, refer to the DeX Pad’s user manual
To run Samsung DeX, the following hardware and software requirements must be met.
● Mobile Device: Samsung Galaxy S8 | S8+ | S9 | S9+ |S10|S10+|S10e| Note8 | Note9
● External Display: FHD (16:9 ratio) supported, HDMI display (Monitor, TV, Projector). For Galaxy S10 series : 21:9 (UWFHD, UWQHD) 16:10 (WUXGA, WQXGA) 16:9 (HD+, FHD, WQHD)
● Peripherals: DeX Station, Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger, Mouse & Keyboard.
● OS Version: Android OS Version 7.0 (Nougat) - Android OS Version 8.0 (Oreo)
Without changing your smartphone’s screen, the Samsung DeX screen will appear on the connected TV or monitor.
• If you tap SWITCH TO SCREEN MIRRORING, the same screen as your smartphone will appear on the connected TV or monitor.
• The screen mode you first select will be applied for subsequent connections.
How to connect Samsung Dex Pad to a device?
To use Samsung DeX feature, you must have DeX Pad, Charger, HDMI cable and Monitor. Mouse and keyboard are optional. A charger is required to activate Samsung DeX Pad
ㆍEnsure that your smartphone is horizontal to the connector. Otherwise, the DeX pad and your smartphone may be damaged.
• Use only the Samsung-approved charger supplied with your smartphone
• Remove your mobile device from the DeX Pad when it is not in use. Otherwise, your mobile device’s battery will drain
• Use only the HDMI cable supplied with the DeX Pad. Otherwise, the DeX Pad may not work properly
• Ensure that your smartphone is horizontal to the connector. Otherwise, the DeX Pad and your smartphone may be damaged
• Remove your phone cover before use, if not, your phone may not run Samsung DeX properly
• If you want to use a keyboard or a mouse, connect them using the Dex Pad’s USB ports or via Bluetooth
• Bixby voice recognition may not work properly after connecting the DeX Pad
How to update Samsung Dex?
You can use your device as a touch pad, either horizontally or vertically. To control the screen, try the following touch pad gestures:
• Tap: Simulate left click - Select objects, open apps, activate buttons and more
• Tap with 2 fingers: Simulate right click - Show more options menu
• Swipe with 2 fingers: Scroll in any direction
• Pinch with 2 fingers: Zoom in or out
• Touch and hold: Select objects on the screen
• Touch and hold and move: Move objects around the screen or select text
You can use your device’s features in an interface environment similar to a computer. You can multitask by running multiple apps simultaneously. Also you can check your smartphone’s notifications and status.
• When starting or ending Samsung DeX, running apps may be closed .
• Some apps or features may not be available when using Samsung DeX.
• To adjust the screen settings, use the connected TV or monitor’s display settings.
• Sound will be played through the smartphone’s speaker. To change the default audio output, launch the Settings app, select Samsung DeX, and then select the Set default audio output switch to activate it.
• Favorite apps: Add frequently used apps to the Home screen and launch them quickly.
• Apps button: View or run your smartphone’s apps. To install apps that are optimized for Samsung DeX, select Apps from Samsung DeX.
• Taskbar: View the apps that are currently running.
• Status bar: View your mobile's notifications and status. Status icons may appear differently depending on your smartphone’s status.
• Quick access toolbar: Use quick tools, such as screen keyboard, volume control, or search.
Using the external display and smartphone simultaneously
While using Samsung DeX, you can use separate apps on the external display and your smartphone simultaneously.
For example, while watching a video on the connected TV or monitor, you can create a note on your smartphone.
On the connected TV or monitor, launch an app to run on the Samsung DeX screen. Then, launch another app on your smartphone.
Difference between Samsung Dex, Mirroring and Side Sync feature
Samsung DeX- Shows desktop-like user interface by connecting a smartphone to an external monitor and a mouse/keyboard
Mirroring - Shows the screen of a smartphone as it is on the external monitor
Side Sync - Shows the screen of a smartphone on a Windows PC with the purpose to operate the smartphone on the PC or to transfer
You can receive an incoming call with the connected TV or monitor while using Samsung DeX mode. If you receive a phone call, select the incoming call menu from the connected TV or monitor. The device’s speaker is used for answering the call.
• Connect earphones or remove your device from DeX Pad to use the device instead of the speaker to receive an incoming call.
You can change the default speakers from your device’s speaker to the speakers of a TV, monitor, or an audio device.
After you change the default speakers, sound will play through the new default speakers whenever Samsung DeX mode is on.
Thank you for your feedback!
Need help? Contact Us for Support.
Before calling us, there are some information we need to obtain from you. Please get ready with model code, serial number and date of purchase.
Note : Call conversation is recorder for quality, monitoring and/or training purposes for our continuous quality improvement.
#GALAXY (just dial #425299)
[Free access for all Networks ]
(02) 8-422-2177 [Standard Landline]
1-800-10-726-7864 [PLDT Toll Free]
1-800-8-726-7864 [Globe Toll Free]
(02) 8-422-2111 [Standard Landline]
* For Toll Free numbers, just directly dial 1-800 followed by the network number.
**Standard Landline numbers have been updated to comply with the NTC ruling effective October 6, 2019