What is Screen Mirroring? How to connect your smartphone to your TV?
What is Screen Mirroring?
Screen mirroring (sometimes called screen casting) allows you to mirror your mobile device's content to your TV screen. You will need to open the connection for screen mirroring on both your smartphone/tablet and your TV in order for the connection to work successfully. The below instructions will show you how to open the screen mirroring connection on your Samsung smartphone or tablet, and on your Samsung TV.
Which Samsung smartphones and tablets have Screen Mirroring?
There is a dedicated Screen Mirroring feature on some Samsung smartphones and tablets. Older devices and those running operating systems older than Android 4.1.12 may not have the Screen Mirroring feature. Some newer devices will have Smart View rather than Screen Mirroring in the menu function. How to find out if your device has Screen Mirroring or Smart View function:
How to find out if your device has Screen Mirroring or Smart View function:
- Go to Home screen > Use two fingers to pull down the extended notification menu
- If your device does not have these features, you can still connect via Quick Connect
Compatible devices with Screen Mirroring or Smart View function:
- Galaxy series: Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S III
- Note series: Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung 8” Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1”, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" 2014 Edition
How to connect your smartphone to your TV?
Step 1: Prepare your Samsung TV
Most Samsung smartphones include a Screen Mirroring or Smart View feature which enables screen mirroring with Samsung Smart TVs and other smart devices. The feature is compatible with TVs that use WiFi direct technology.
- Samsung TV model F range (2013) : Use screen mirroring via WiFi
- Samsung TV model (before 2013) : Use screen mirroring via an Allshare Cast or HDMI cable
There are 2 methods to prep your Samsung TV
1. On the remote > Press the Source button
2. Navigate to and select the Screen Mirroring source
3. Your TV will display a screen informing you that it is waiting for a device to be connected. This screen will be displayed until your device is connected.
Please note: if you do not connect your device within two minutes the scan will time out.
1 Select Menu on your TV remote > Scroll down to Network > Press the Select button
2. Scroll down to Screen Mirroring > Press the Select button again to turn on Screen Mirroring
1. Use two fingers held slightly apart to pull down the extended notification menu > Tap Screen Mirroring. Your device will now scan for TVs and other devices to which they can be mirrored.
2. Tap the TV you wish to connect to. Your TV must have the screen mirroring function switched on for this to work. Your device will now begin connecting to your TV.
3. Once connected, your mobile device screen will now be displayed on the TV.
Successful connection includes:
- Showing pictures stored on your external device
- Watching videos stored on your external device
- Watching videos from apps on your external device
- Playing music through your TV's speakers instead of your external device's
- Showing people the game you are playing
Please note: There may be a slight lag between the actions performed on the external device and their appearance on the TV. This means you will not be able to effectively watch the TV's screen when playing a fast-paced game
Thank you for your feedback!
Need more help? Contact Us.
24 hours / 7 days a week
0800 M SAMSUNG
24 hours / 7 days a week
* For any printer related enquiries please visit the HP website .
Find out more about how you can get face-to-face help.