How do I use Android Device Manager to locate, lock and erase my lost Samsung Galaxy S5?
Android™ Device Manager
Your Android device contains personal information that may be compromised if you lose it. If you lose an Android device associated with your Google account you can use Android Device Manager to remotely locate it and perform a factory data reset.
If your device is offline Android Device Manager won’t be able to ring, lock or erase the device until there’s a mobile data or Wi-Fi connection. Select Erase in advance and your device will reset when it’s back online.
Turn On Android Device Manager
Use the Google Settings application to access Android Device Manager.
Touch Apps > Google Settings > Android Device Manager.
You can turn on the following options:
- Remotely locate this device: Remotely locate a device and find its approximate location on Google Maps. For devices running Android version 4.1 and higher you must turn on location access. From Google Settings, touch Location > Google Location Reporting > Location Reporting. Touch Off and slide to On.
- Allow remote lock and erase: Remotely erase all data on your device. Touch Allow remote lock and erase > Activate to turn on the device administrator.
Access Android Device Manager
Google offers an Android device-tracking application available at Android Device Manager. Sign in to the Google Account associated with the device you wish to locate. The following dialog box displays over the interactive Google map.
When your device is located its approximate location is indicated by on the map. The device manager also displays the name of the place where the device is located, the time it was located and when it was last used. The following options are available:
- : Select a different device associated with your Google Account.
- : Change the device name.
- : Refresh the map to display the location of your device.
- : Ring your device at full volume for five minutes, even if it is set to silent or vibrate.
- : Lock the device with a new password.
- : Perform a factory data reset, which permanently deletes all of your data. Google will attempt to erase the contents of the memory card if it is supported by the device.
Important! Android Device Manager does not collect a location history or do background location reporting. Your device’s approximate location is requested when you first sign in and these location data are deleted when you sign out of the device manager. If the device is turned off or offline Google cannot report its location.
Thank you for your feedback!
Not finding what you're looking for? We're here to help.
Tweet us | 9am-9pm, 7 days a week.
We are here to help | 9am-9pm, 7 days a week.
Monday to Sunday | 8am to 10pm
SmartThings Monday to Friday | 9am to 5:30pm
We'll respond within 24 hours of your request.
Check the status of your repair with Samsung
Help with Hubs, Kits, Sensor and Outlets
Monday to Sunday | 8am to 10pm
Monday to Friday | 9am to 6pm
Calls to 0818 numbers are a National Call number.
These are subject to call charges which vary by network and are subject to change.
Calls maybe recorded for training and quality purposes.
* For any printer related enquiries please visit the HP website.
Find out more about how you can get face to face help.