To free its IT team from time-consuming device management and maintenance, Abellio turned to the Samsung UK team for a managed service subscription program that included high-end mobile devices, software tools, help desk support, and repairs across the entire device lifecycle.
Abellio franchise IT administrators now have a single point of contact within Samsung to help them mobilize users and support devices across broad geographic areas. Samsung stages all devices for the railway franchises. This includes unboxing, adding a screen protector, and configuring the phone or tablet according to the user profiles for that franchise.
With its Knox Configure solution, Samsung can customize devices for franchises and different user roles:
- Rebranding devices helps foster a sense of ownership. Knox Configure helps transform devices that look tailor made for ScotRail, Greater Anglia, and West Midlands. This includes branded boot-up animation, wallpaper, and relevant bookmarks.
- Different roles require different set up and apps, and each franchise requires four or five user profiles. With Knox Configure, the Samsung team can easily configure devices for multiple profiles: drivers who need a map application, on-train staff that require a smartcard reader, and engineers that need schematics. Each franchise controls devices at the user role level to minimize business risk and can deploy changes remotely.
"It is literally an end-to-end process," says Himesh Patel of Abellio Greater Anglia, "deploying the devices, managing the devices, answering end-user queries."
- The Samsung team enrolls large numbers of devices fast to security policies created in its enterprise mobile management solution (EMM) using Knox Mobile Enrollment, a free Samsung download. Credential pass- through helps reduce deployment time by prepopulating user details.
- To make sure each person understands how to use the phone or tablet, Samsung offers onboarding and training support to every worker, both remote and in-person.
- Samsung also offers rapid device replacement and assistance through its Business Services Centre and Next Business Day device replacement.
- To prevent business disruptions, the Samsung team uses Enterprise Firmware-Over-The-Air (Samsung E-FOTA) to control firmware and OS updates, including security patches and compliance checks. Timetable changes and other big updates take place on supported operating systems, then the OS update is pushed to users when the franchise is ready to support it.
- Abellio franchise can easily lock down stolen devices, or automatically reconfigure devices to the correct Abellio profile if factory reset.