Samsung collects your information in a variety of ways and for a variety of purposes.
Information You Provide Directly
Some Services enable you to give us information directly. For example:
- When you create an account or profile with us, engage with us at a trade show or attend our events, we may ask for information such as your name, date of birth, or email address.
- If you order a product or paid service from us, we may ask for your name, address, contact information, and shipping and payment information to process your order.
- To provide responses when you contact Customer Service, we may need information to verify your identity and the product you’re inquiring about.
- When you communicate with our Customer Service staff or others, your communications will be transmitted through our systems.
- If you share your contacts, we’ll collect their phone numbers and other contact information to facilitate file sharing and messaging. You can turn off or restrict these features in Settings on your devices.
Information About Your Use of Services
In addition to the information you provide, we will collect information about your use of our Services through software on your devices and by other means. We will collect:
- Device Information
Your hardware model, device hardware information, IMEI number and other unique device identifiers, phone number, serial number, sales code, access recording, current software version, MCC (Mobile Country Code), MNC (Mobile Network Code), MAC address, IP address, cookies, pixels, subscription information, operating system versions, and settings of the devices you use to access Services.
- Log Information
Diagnostic, technical, error, and usage information, such as the time and duration of your use of Services, search query terms when you enter search terms into your device in connection with a particular Samsung Service, and any information stored in cookies that we have set on your devices.
- Location Information
Your device’s GPS signal or information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers that may be transmitted to us when you use certain Services and enable the Location function.
- Voice Information
Recordings of your voice that we make and store on our servers when you enable this function and use voice commands to control a Service, or when you contact our Customer Service team. Note that if we work with a third party service provider that provides speech-to-text conversion services on our behalf, this provider may receive and store certain voice commands in accordance with the contract concluded between us and our trusted third-party service provider.
- Samsung Keyboard Information
The words that you type when you enable Predictive Text. This feature may be offered in connection with your Samsung account to synchronise the data for use on your other Samsung mobile devices. You can clear the data by going to the Predictive Text settings.
- Viewing Information
The networks, channels, websites visited, and programs viewed on your devices and the amount of time spent viewing them.
- Other information
About your use of Services, such as the apps you use, the websites you visit, and how you interact with content offered through a Service.
Other Information We Collect
We may also collect other information about you, your devices, or your use of Services. We may combine this other information with information which you have provided so that we can better understand your needs, interests, and preferences.
Information You Provide Indirectly
In order to enhance our marketing reach, we may receive personal information about you, such as your first name, last name, job title, company phone number, company email, company name and company address, from third party sources (i.e. other companies). Such third parties include:
- Database Vendors
Samsung will ensure that the Database Vendor that originally collected this information has a valid legal ground to provide us with the information. Samsung will also ensure that the Database Vendor complies with applicable data protection laws in order to provide us your information.
- Publically and Commercially Available Information
We may collect your personal information from publically and commercially available sources, provided the receipt of such information is in accordance with applicable laws.
- Social Media
We may also collect your personal information from the social networks you use when you choose to connect with those sites.
You should always check the privacy notice of any such third party source, in particular when you provide a consent to marketing, and to understand their data protection and privacy practices more generally.
Third Party Analytics
Through certain webpages, we may collect personal information about your online activities on websites and connected devices over time and across third-party websites, devices, apps and other online features and services. We may use third-party analytics services on the Services, such as those of Adobe Audience Manager and Oracle Eloqua. The service providers that administer these analytics services help us to analyse your use of the Services and improve the Services. The information we obtain may be disclosed to or collected directly by these providers and other relevant third parties who use the information, for example, to evaluate use of the Services, help administer the Services and diagnose technical issues. To learn more about Adobe Audience Manager and Oracle Eloqua , please visit https://www.adobe.com/uk/privacy/policy.html and https://www.oracle.com/legal/privacy/services-privacy-policy.html#1-1
You can choose not to provide us with certain types of information, such as information requested as part of registering for a Samsung event. In some cases, this may limit the accuracy of the communication or solution we provide you which relate to your profession. We’ll do our best to explain these limitations when we’re asking for your information so you can make an informed decision.
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To help you register at our Trade Shows or events.
- To help you or your device register for our Services.
- To provide a Service or feature you request.
- To provide customised content and personalised services based on your past activities on our Services.
- To provide customised promotions, and offers that might interest you on our websites, third-party websites, and online platforms such as social media sites.
- To provide promotions and offers by way of direct marketing communications, only where you have given us your separate consent.
- To analyse our products and services to help us better understand our B2B customers in order to offer the most relevant communications, services, and experiences to you. To ask you for your opinions on our products and services and to carry out B2B customer surveys, with your separate consent if required.
- To provide software updates, maintenance services, and support for your devices.
- To comply with the law and legal processes.
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of Samsung Electronics, or any of our affiliates, business partners, or customers.
We use and combine the information we collect about you from our Services, devices, or other sources to provide you with a better experience. For example, you can use your Samsung account details not only on the Service you registered with, but other Services which use Samsung accounts. We also use the information you provide directly or through other sources as described above to provide content you may like or that you’ve personalised.
You have choices about your information. Check out the CONTACT US section to learn more. Samsung processes personal information for the purposes described above. Samsung’s legal basis to process personal information includes processing:
- So that we can keep our promises to you, such as providing you with a Service.
- To promote our business interests (for example, to manage our relationship with you and improve your customer service experience), including communications on our website, third party websites, and online platforms.
- To comply with the law and legal processes.
- With your consent (for example, to send direct marketing communications). If you give consent, you can always revoke it by contacting us as specified in the CONTACT US section of this Privacy Notice.
We will disclose your information to the following entities, but only to the extent that this is necessary to share industry-relevant communications:
- Affiliates: Other Samsung Electronics Group companies which we control or own.
- Service Providers: Carefully selected companies that provide services for us, or on our behalf, such as companies that help us to conduct B2B customer satisfaction surveys, or billing, or send emails on our behalf. These providers are also committed to protecting your information.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect Our Services: For example, it may be necessary by law, legal process, or court order from governmental authorities to disclose your information. They may also seek your information from us for the purposes of law enforcement, national security, anti-terrorism, or other issues that are related to public security.
- Other Parties in Connection with Corporate Transactions: We may disclose your information to a third party as part of a merger or transfer, acquisition or sale, or in the event of a bankruptcy.
We take data protection seriously. We’ve put in place physical and technical safeguards to keep the information we collect secure. However, please note that although we take reasonable steps to protect your information, no website, Internet transmission, computer system, or wireless connection is completely secure.
Your provision of personal information through the above methods of engagement with Samsung, either directly or indirectly, will involve the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information within and outside of your country of residence, consistent with this notice. In particular, your personal information will be transferred to the Republic of Korea. Please note that the data protection and other laws of countries to which your information may be transferred might not be as comprehensive as those in your country.
In addition, your provision of personal information through the above methods of engagement with Samsung, either directly or indirectly, will involve the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information to the Netherlands and Japan. We will take appropriate measures, in compliance with applicable law, to ensure that your personal information remains protected. Such measures include the use of Standard Contractual Clauses to safeguard the transfer of data outside of the EEA.
To request more information or to obtain a copy of the contractual agreements in place, contact us using the details provided in the CONTACT US section below.
We will keep your personal data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. This means that your data will be destroyed or erased from our systems when it is no longer required.
We take appropriate steps to ensure that we process and retain information about you based on the following logic:
1. At least the duration for which the information is used to provide you with a Service.
2. As required under law, a contract, or with regard to our statutory obligations.
3. Only for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, is processed, or longer if required under any contract, by applicable law, or for statistical purposes, subject to appropriate safeguards.
If you have subscribed to receive marketing communications, we will retain your personal data for as long as your consent is valid, or until you withdraw your consent. We will contact you to refresh your consent, if we change the way in which we process your personal data. You may subsequently withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us as set out in the CONTACT US section below, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
You can contact us to update your preferences, correct or delete your information, submit a request to access your personal data, restrict the processing of your personal data, or ask us questions.
The easiest way to contact us is through our Privacy Support Page at https://www.europe-samsung.com/gdpr/webform/uk
You can also contact us at:
European Data Protection Officer
Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited
Samsung House, 2000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0RS
You can lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority if you consider that our processing of your personal information infringes applicable law. Contact details for all EU supervisory authorities can be found at https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=612080.
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our privacy practices with respect to our business or changes in the applicable law. We will indicate at the top of this Privacy Notice when it was most recently updated. If we update the Privacy Notice, we will let you know in advance about changes we consider to be material by placing a notice on relevant services or by emailing you, where appropriate.